Chansiri’s Biggest Promble

Bez

9 hours ago, e6owl said:

Commercial income is an area where we've actually consistently improved since Chansiri came in, just also one where we're clearly not living up to our potential. It's not really about shirts and the shop though, because I think we sell more than enough of those. We just really haven't got our act together on sponsorships. Look at Leeds last season for comparison, almost every bit of their kit, their training equipment, all of it, was sponsored by various companies.

Hard to say if it's due to lack of effort on Chansiri's part or due to lack of interest, with us being a down and out club with a low profile, but surely we can get more commercial income without Chansiri having to invent more fake companies?

I know that he was offered something like 1m for some type of advertising and he said he wanted double the amount so they walked and did the deal with another club 

ps 

my source may not be correct but I believe it is 

Guest LondonOwl313

I was brought up in Sheffield, went to uni here, then moved to Leeds and then London, then back to Sheffield last year. 

And I think Sheffielders probably are tighter than average in my experience. It’s a less affluent area for one, the data shows you that. That’s not to say that everyone here is skint because they’re not, but average wages are lower than other big cities. Cost of living is lower too as a result. 

If anything to reflect the local economy you’d expect SWFC prices to be cheaper than the majority of clubs, not more expensive than them all. Chansiri simply doesn’t understand the local community. He was born into money, his Thai currency is many multiples higher than sterling so if he’s no appreciation of what local earnings are, which I doubt, he probably thinks £50 sounds like next to nothing. So he doesn’t see an issue charging what he does for everything 

9 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I was brought up in Sheffield, went to uni here, then moved to Leeds and then London, then back to Sheffield last year. 

And I think Sheffielders probably are tighter than average in my experience. It’s a less affluent area for one, the data shows you that. That’s not to say that everyone here is skint because they’re not, but average wages are lower than other big cities. Cost of living is lower too as a result. 

If anything to reflect the local economy you’d expect SWFC prices to be cheaper than the majority of clubs, not more expensive than them all. Chansiri simply doesn’t understand the local community. He was born into money, his Thai currency is many multiples higher than sterling so if he’s no appreciation of what local earnings are, which I doubt, he probably thinks £50 sounds like next to nothing. So he doesn’t see an issue charging what he does for everything 

I get your drift really I do. Lee S recognised this and emblazoned the Childrens Hospital Logo (Poorly bear) on the shirt and they flew out of the shop to patrons and none patrons alike. In critique this could and should be reintroduced and included on most goods. 

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

7 hours ago, gurujuan said:

This is an interesting thread. There are things in the OP that I can really relate to, and there are traits that are peculiar to Sheffield, and our club in particular. We have an ageing fan base, which is often reluctant to any attempts to modernise. I cannot think of too many clubs, where half the fan base would embrace the appointments of managers like Megson and Pulis. Why is that? It’s partly because a lot of our lot are stuck in the past, but also applaud the outspoken bluntness of managers like Megson and Pulis. What’s to applaud, bluntness is not a good quality in a manager. There is a difference between being blunt, and being honest. We need to change, both as a club, and as a fan base, because without modernising, we will continue to become less relevant

This is interesting.  When I lived in London all my mates supported Arsenal, when George Graham was the manager, and apart from the 2 cup finals for the time I was there they didn’t seem so far ahead of us.  But after the cup finals their focus shifted and they modernised everything, appointed Wenger, new stadium, youth system, some of the best overseas players -  and it felt as though in just a few years they were years ahead, and they’ve been up there ever since.  I always look back and wonder why not us.  It’s more than money, it’s the whole outlook, they had a plan that took ideas from the world’s best in all aspects of the club.  You’re right - outspoken blunt manager - who gives a f.ck, we need a good coach and a proper thought through development plan at every level.  

Guest Therealrealist
37 minutes ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

The club shop ran out of shirts in 93.  We took thousands down to Wembley and Cardiff, I know a few who bought tickets at the pig end because we’d run out in the semi, we had to open the West Stand for the Wickham game, we had the third highest attendance in 92, I think higher than Leeds who won the title.  There are so many stats that show that this isn’t true.  The support has held up remarkably given our lack of success,  all through the years, and when it matters we turn up.  That Brighton play off game was a proper sight to see.  I’m old enough to remember those games a Filbert St v Arsenal when we outnumbered them every time and they were 2 divisions above us at the time. 

When people mention our fanbase..just like you..they go on about play off finals the wycombe game etc...we had a good team in the early 90s..with some great players...some of our crowds wer crap😫..theres no doubt we can muster a massive turnout once a year...but it well never happen every satday😐

2 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

When people mention our fanbase..just like you..they go on about play off finals the wycombe game etc...we had a good team in the early 90s..with some great players...some of our crowds wer crap😫..theres no doubt we can muster a massive turnout once a year...but it well never happen every satday😐

I think the Premier League is a far more popular commercial operation now.  Looking back we’d regularly get higher crowds than some big clubs like Spurs and Everton in the early 90s and they too had empty seats.  Now they regularly sell out.  Time will tell if we ever get back up there but I think Wednesday still has a big enough core of fans to fill the stadium. 

• Like 2

Guest Therealrealist
6 minutes ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

I think the Premier League is a far more popular commercial operation now.  Looking back we’d regularly get higher crowds than some big clubs like Spurs and Everton in the early 90s and they too had empty seats.  Now they regularly sell out.  Time will tell if we ever get back up there but I think Wednesday still has a big enough core of fans to fill the stadium. 

Bull shizen...all our big crowds in the 80s wer boosted by up to 15k away fans

3 hours ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

This is interesting.  When I lived in London all my mates supported Arsenal, when George Graham was the manager, and apart from the 2 cup finals for the time I was there they didn’t seem so far ahead of us.  But after the cup finals their focus shifted and they modernised everything, appointed Wenger, new stadium, youth system, some of the best overseas players -  and it felt as though in just a few years they were years ahead, and they’ve been up there ever since.  I always look back and wonder why not us.  It’s more than money, it’s the whole outlook, they had a plan that took ideas from the world’s best in all aspects of the club.  You’re right - outspoken blunt manager - who gives a f.ck, we need a good coach and a proper thought through development plan at every level.  

It’s interesting you use Arsenal as an example. One of my best mates is a gooner, and we often have long chats about both our clubs woes. He isn’t a plastic fan, and regularly attends Arsenal games, but has a good knowledge of football in general. He says they have several groups whose aim it is to promote the club on line, and social media. They are good at it In fact, now I think Arsenal have the biggest internet presence bar Real Madrid and Barcelona. As you say, it wasn’t that long ago that we were viewed as peers. We’ve always had a bit of a corner shop mentality, which has for too long, held us back. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

I do think we are one of the tightest fanbases in the country tbh..love to know how much the club shop takes in a normal month..i bet its peanuts..hardly see anybody around south yorkshire walkin about with wednesday stuff on

Thats probably because what's on offer is poo and way over priced.

Guest Therealrealist
30 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s interesting you use Arsenal as an example. One of my best mates is a gooner, and we often have long chats about both our clubs woes. He isn’t a plastic fan, and regularly attends Arsenal games, but has a good knowledge of football in general. He says they have several groups whose aim it is to promote the club on line, and social media. They are good at it In fact, now I think Arsenal have the biggest internet presence bar Real Madrid and Barcelona. As you say, it wasn’t that long ago that we were viewed as peers. We’ve always had a bit of a corner shop mentality, which has for too long, held us back. 

Arsenal are about 10 x bigger than us...its a London thing

5 hours ago, Brommers said:

Thats probably because what's on offer is poo and way over priced.

Yep, it's pony. It's the equivalent of turning up to PE at school in Gola trainers and all the other kids are decked out in Nike Air, Adidas and Puma

£50/£60 for a shirt made by a bloke in a shed calling himself elev8, you're having a laugh

6 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Arsenal are about 10 x bigger than us...its a London thing

Yes they surely are now, at least The London thing is probably less important than it was due to the internet It’s possible to build your profile if everything falls into place. We saw a little bit of it under Carlos during season one. As a southern based Wednesday fan, I did pick up on a change in perception amongst other fans. On the field, other teams supporters picked up on all the wonder goals we seemed to be scoring, we had a real character in Carlos, who was, I would say, liked by most football fans. It also coincided with plenty of artists from the music industry, the cooler end, being more vocal about their love of Sheffield Wednesday. Consequently, I noticed a lot of the younger element were taking an interest in Sheffield Wednesday. The perception, even though it perhaps wasn’t the reality, was that we were a cool club. That was the time when the club should have worked with some of these groups Neil and I were talking about, to enhance our profile. Most of my Spanish friends, for example, who liked those Sheffield bands, suddenly became aware of Sheffield Wednesday. 
Now I’m sure plenty of our fans would say, who cares what some random kids in Spain think about our club, but it’s missing the point. It is an international game now, and we have to use opportunities like that to market ourselves globally. It’s an important PR exercise. Even if we failed to become an Arsenal, we could still obtain a profile like St Pauli for instance, being many people’s second favourite team, and selling a lot more merchandise in the process. Incidentally, one of the suggestions that was put to the club was for some of us to be involved in designing better merchandise Most of the stuff sold in the shop lacks imagination. We have to get the younger element to re-engage with the club, or the club will die

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes they surely are now, at least The London thing is probably less important than it was due to the internet It’s possible to build your profile if everything falls into place. We saw a little bit of it under Carlos during season one. As a southern based Wednesday fan, I did pick up on a change in perception amongst other fans. On the field, other teams supporters picked up on all the wonder goals we seemed to be scoring, we had a real character in Carlos, who was, I would say, liked by most football fans. It also coincided with plenty of artists from the music industry, the cooler end, being more vocal about their love of Sheffield Wednesday. Consequently, I noticed a lot of the younger element were taking an interest in Sheffield Wednesday. The perception, even though it perhaps wasn’t the reality, was that we were a cool club. That was the time when the club should have worked with some of these groups Neil and I were talking about, to enhance our profile. Most of my Spanish friends, for example, who liked those Sheffield bands, suddenly became aware of Sheffield Wednesday. 
Now I’m sure plenty of our fans would say, who cares what some random kids in Spain think about our club, but it’s missing the point. It is an international game now, and we have to use opportunities like that to market ourselves globally. It’s an important PR exercise. Even if we failed to become an Arsenal, we could still obtain a profile like St Pauli for instance, being many people’s second favourite team, and selling a lot more merchandise in the process. Incidentally, one of the suggestions that was put to the club was for some of us to be involved in designing better merchandise Most of the stuff sold in the shop lacks imagination. We have to get the younger element to re-engage with the club, or the club will die

We had some momentum and potential under Carlos, but sone didn’t like his style, his press conferences, the way he injured players (🤥), and we had a poor run of results including a loss to United. 

So we changed everything for what we have now 

5 minutes ago, Rogers said:

We had some momentum and potential under Carlos, but sone didn’t like his style, his press conferences, the way he injured players (🤥), and we had a poor run of results including a loss to United. 

So we changed everything for what we have now 

Yep, big mistake