Karen Carney vs Leeds United

2 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

She didn’t say that at all, she said “I actually think they got promoted because of COVID” which of course is rubbish.

As others have said it was clumsily worded, the season before Leeds won one point in there final 4 games and Bielsa's teams have a history of burn out. Nobody knows what would have happened to ANY team without the break. 

In March the season before they had won 4 out of 5 games.

Personally I think they would have continued their form but the break allowed all teams a chance to get players fit again and recharge (not always a good thing)

Leeds took part of a clip and tweeted it, an official account should be more responsible - of course she would be targeted with gender specific abuse , JFH wasn't targeted only Carney.

Social media is brilliant most of the time, unfortunately it is as others stated a platform which allows abuse "cuz it's just bantz innit"

Guest Mcguigan
28 minutes ago, cazzaswfc said:

As others have said it was clumsily worded, the season before Leeds won one point in there final 4 games and Bielsa's teams have a history of burn out. Nobody knows what would have happened to ANY team without the break. 

Personally I think they would have continued their form but the break allowed all teams a chance to get players fit again and recharge (not always a good thing)

Leeds took part of a clip and tweeted it, an official account should be more responsible - of course she would be targeted with gender specific abuse , JFH wasn't targeted only Carney.

Social media is brilliant most of the time, unfortunately it is as others stated a platform which allows abuse "cuz it's just bantz innit"

Far be it for me to defend Leeds but I'm a big admirer of Bielsa and his methods and I don't buy into this Bielsa burnout myth that's peddled out by pundits without any evidence to back it up. 

Look at the last 4 games that you mentioned where they lost 3 and drew 1. They were dominating possession, shots off target, shots on target and all the running stats. No physical burnout evident at all. Mentally bottled it but physically burnt out, not for me. 

1 hour ago, cazzaswfc said:

So an official account shouldn’t reference a pundit in case the pundit hasn’t expressed themselves correctly?

Like it or not, Carney attributed Leeds United's promotion to COVID. Leeds, like it or not, quite rightly in my opinion, defended their achievements. The fact she’s a woman is completely irrelevant. How many times do you see comments about Roy Keane? Souness? Carragher? Referees? VAR officials? It’s everywhere within the game. 

I find Carney’s comments disrespectful to a certain extent. The hard work which the team at Leeds quite clearly put in, was swept to the side in order to make a sweeping comment which, I felt was intended to come across as controversial.

Carney has received abuse because of her comments, not because Leeds tweeted her. Abuse, as many have already commented on, shouldn’t happen. It does. It will continue to do so until social media is regulated. 

Can nobody with any sort of social media following, comment on publicly available information through fear their followers may abuse the person making the comments. Is that where we’re really at as a society? I take responsibility for my own actions. If SWFC posted such comments, I’d articulate a response without the need to abuse the pundit in question.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Far be it for me to defend Leeds but I'm a big admirer of Bielsa and his methods and I don't buy into this Bielsa burnout myth that's peddled out by pundits.

Agree with this personally.  it's easy to point to end of season dips in form, it has happened at previous clubs. Likewise it hasn't happened at others or in different seasons.  I guess some players mentioning it feeds the media narrative ( not unusual for ex players to be bitter!)

Because of this it is however a favoured "talking point" for pundits.

The debate over the tweet is not over what was said or how it was said, whether we agree or disagree. It's over the unprofessional reaction of an official social media account to a pundit doing her job, singling her out and the owner backing the action, claiming that Carney was disrespectful personally to Leeds - for going with the same usual narrative.

She said the pandemic gave them a break and that potentially avoided a collapse that we saw from them the previous season?

Was she wrong? I don’t think so?

Karen Carney Alex, Scott and Sue Smith are very good pundits but they get a rough ride because they are women.

Thing is they are better than most male pundits and that’s why they get a lot of sh!t?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jim said:

She said the pandemic gave them a break and that potentially avoided a collapse that we saw from them the previous season?

Was she wrong? I don’t think so?

Karen Carney Alex, Scott and Sue Smith are very good pundits but they get a rough ride because they are women.

Thing is they are better than most male pundits and that’s why they get a lot of sh!t?

Her whole section of the chat was a section about a player of ours and his contract status.  She was 100% factually wrong... Making it up as she went and was wrong.  Next sentence Leeds got promoted due to covid. 

Honestly... If you were a pkayer who worked his bolloxjs off and achieved a massive target and she wrote it off as due to covid.. Would you just think fizz off too? 

1 hour ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

Her whole section of the chat was a section about a player of ours and his contract status.  She was 100% factually wrong... Making it up as she went and was wrong.  Next sentence Leeds got promoted due to covid. 

Honestly... If you were a pkayer who worked his bolloxjs off and achieved a massive target and she wrote it off as due to covid.. Would you just think fizz off too? 

The club I’m a fan of is in the sh!t and facing life in league  one yet again and  You’re in the premier league league and more than holding your own and your upset about Karen Carney making a comment that might be valid or not?

Sod off! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jim said:

The club I’m a fan of is in the sh!t and facing life in league  one yet again and  You’re in the premier league league and more than holding your own and your upset about Karen Carney making a comment that might be valid or not?

Sod off! 

I'm not upset.  Living football atm...its all the twitter reaction bulshit i hate. 

I actually think you will stop up.  

Either way... I've said for years.. You need action to drive Chansiri out imo to begin the recovery and restart process.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Guest Bulgaria
On 31/12/2020 at 00:42, cazzaswfc said:

Being Female she's an easy target for the trolls for "bants" 

I've absolutely no doubt male commentators get trolled just as much.

Maybe she had a point.

Leeds disagreed.

Social media is the issue, not Leeds.

8 hours ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

I'm not upset.  Living football atm...its all the twitter reaction bulshit i hate. 

I actually think you will stop up.  

Either way... I've said for years.. You need action to drive Chansiri out imo to begin the recovery and restart process.

I don’t particularly think Chansiri is the problem a lot on here think he is. I can’t argue with the fact he’s made mistakes but I think they’ve been genuine mistakes and most Chairmen do get things wrong, as do players, managers and officials.

I’d rather have Chansiri than some of the clueless chairmen we had when we were a plc. Sad thing is I could see us in a situation where we become a plc again and trust me, if that happens then we’ll be wishing we hadn’t got on Chansiri’s back as much?

• Haha 1

On 30/12/2020 at 19:49, edmontonowl said:

Agree, she was off the mark and didn't need to bring it up and when she did it sounded like she has something against Leeds (maybe she does but that doesn't need to be put in full view to everyone)

But the bit I've highlighted - pundits these days are awful for the most part and if we started criticise we'd blow up the internet!!

Speaking of poor punditry, was listening to Radio 5 a couple of weeks ago and they had Sam Allardyce on just after he had got the West Brom job.

Jermaine Jenas asked him a question along the lines of how Big Sam is usually brought in to shore up leaky defences but he would need to take a different approach at West Brom as they had been struggling to score but generally looked OK at the back. Big Sam informed him that West Brom had only kept 1 or 2 clean sheets and only 1 other team in the PL had conceded more goals at that time. Top work Jermaine! 

14 hours ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

Why isn't JFH getting it in the neck too then as he backed up her comments? 

She was talking rubbish...but I find the Leeds twitter account bringing it up to be extremely tinpot. You then encourage the idiots in your fanbase to go off on one. 

Honestly, they are having a great season. 

Why be so sensitive about some random throwaway comment? 

• Like 1