80s style arcade machine for sale

Guest Grandad

Guest Grandad

Bought this at the start of lockdown and the Mrs is moaning about how much space it takes up - and as Ive not used it much in the last 3 months I'm gonna let it go.

New ones go for around £750 - this one has had a new monitor installed recently to give a better resolution for the games. It has 60 original arcade games built in, inc Space Invaders, Galaxian, Pac Man, Frogger, Donkey Kong, Scramble and many others you'll have forgotten ever existed... I'm not in any rush to sell - but will let it go for £500.

image.png.d036c43e4fad3d7de6268415b88998b6.png

image.png.f2c76c51798f8daa306f76bfe2e5e10e.png

Decent price that.

I was looking a few years ago at these and they were going for around £1k. Amusement Caterers are still advertising them at over £1100 new! I ended up not bothering because of the size and I’d prefer to get a vintage stand up machine (to go with my classic Pinball table), I think. 

Glad I didn’t buy vintage back then though. The Arcade 1-Up Machines have pulled the bottom out of the resale market for a lot of arcade video games in the last couple of years unfortunately. It is nice to see new versions of old video games in supermarkets and Argos, but it just isn’t the same as the vintage versions (especially at the weird sizing the Arcade 1-Up machines have).

You’re good at this selling Malarkey. Looks nice that. 

Not sure of the height but looks like it would make a decent coffee table, when not in use. 

Myself and Neil were talking about your selling acumen with cars and how you learnt him to drive. He was hoping to sell some car mats he regretted buying. 

Spent loads of nights in a Boddingtons pub in Manchester in my youth with my beer and Wheat Crunchies stood on one of these machines.

The best game EVER was called Crazy Kong. Never found it since. Wish I could. Kong had to climb the Empire State Building with stuff like girders being thrown down at him. Loved it.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Spent loads of nights in a Boddingtons pub in Manchester in my youth with my beer and Wheat Crunchies stood on one of these machines.

The best game EVER was called Crazy Kong. Never found it since. Wish I could. Kong had to climb the Empire State Building with stuff like girders being thrown down at him. Loved it.

Just googled it. Wrong name. Wasn’t Crazy Kong. 

It involved the Empire State Building.

Off to Google.

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Try this.

https://www.retrogames.cc/arcade-games/crazy-kong-bootleg-on-galaxian-hardware-bootleg.html

• Thanks 1

Guest Grandad
30 minutes ago, M Royds said:

You’re good at this selling Malarkey. Looks nice that. 

Not sure of the height but looks like it would make a decent coffee table, when not in use. 

Myself and Neil were talking about your selling acumen with cars and how you learnt him to drive. He was hoping to sell some car mats he regretted buying. 

When I bought it I told the Mrs I'd bought some nice antique furniture

She flipped when she saw it 😂

Guest Grandad
34 minutes ago, BIG D said:

My 2 favourite games

I love Galaxian - was the main reason I bought the game tbh. 

When I got it it came without a key to get inside it - and the settings for each game are controlled by physical DIP switches on the circuit board. You have to put it into test mode to then change all the level settings. Some idiot had set it to 2 lives on Galaxian (and 5 on Space Invaders) which was doing my head in - so I ended up drilling out the lock and replacing it - which meant I could reset all the high scores to 0 and set every game to the proper 3 lives.

Its much more enjoyable now.

Think my all time fave is Scramble (which is on it) and Ihave spent more hours playing that than anything. 

Guest Grandad
1 hour ago, DeeJayOne said:

Decent price that.

I was looking a few years ago at these and they were going for around £1k. Amusement Caterers are still advertising them at over £1100 new! I ended up not bothering because of the size and I’d prefer to get a vintage stand up machine (to go with my classic Pinball table), I think. 

Glad I didn’t buy vintage back then though. The Arcade 1-Up Machines have pulled the bottom out of the resale market for a lot of arcade video games in the last couple of years unfortunately. It is nice to see new versions of old video games in supermarkets and Argos, but it just isn’t the same as the vintage versions (especially at the weird sizing the Arcade 1-Up machines have).

The only pinball machine I ever wanted to own was Gottliebs 'Rocky' from the Rocky 3 movie.

image.png.895387ec4f6334411883216736d73c46.png

Its only in recent years that I discovered that it was never actually a machine - the backglass was made to fit an existing pinball game.

Only 3 of the backglass were ever made - Sylvester Stallone insisted on 3 re-paints of the glass as he didnt want to have the 'beat-up face' version in the flm. 2 of those survive today - with collectors. Obviously the other was destroyed in the film when Paulie threw a bottle of scotch at it.

Guest Grandad
5 minutes ago, Grandad said:

The only pinball machine I ever wanted to own was Gottliebs 'Rocky' from the Rocky 3 movie.

Its only in recent years that I discovered that it was never actually a machine - the backglass was made to fit an existing pinball game.

Only 3 of the backglass were ever made - Sylvester Stallone insisted on 3 re-paints of the glass as he didnt want to have the 'beat-up face' version in the flm. 2 of those survive today - with collectors. Obviously the other was destroyed in the film when Paulie threw a bottle of scotch at it.

Posted the wrong picture

This is the one from the film

5 minutes ago, Grandad said:

This is mine.

A 1992 Bally Doctor Who machine.

A9FBB527-C0AA-49F2-A62B-18EB8338CB38.jpeg

It is a notoriously difficult table because of the open playfield and shorter flippers installed (makes it much faster than some games and easier to drain the ball), but it has some awesome mechanics and even a storyline of sorts that makes it really fun to play. A section of the playfield is unique also as it raises and lowers depending on what stage of the game you’re in and whether you get multiball.

I love it.

• Like 3