Erik Alonso and WBD Sports Management Brought On Board

30 minutes ago, enigmamedusa said:

Going against the grain here... I don't think spending money is the way forward.  We've tried that, a couple of times, and it normally ends up with us being massively in debt.

Sort out the infrastructure, the academy, the scouting, the staff.  Have a strategy on recruitment.

Maybe even pay the players.

We'll be fine.

31 minutes ago, enigmamedusa said:

Going against the grain here... I don't think spending money is the way forward.  We've tried that, a couple of times, and it normally ends up with us being massively in debt.

Sort out the infrastructure, the academy, the scouting, the staff.  Have a strategy on recruitment.

We'll be fine.

Spending money wisely needs somebody at the club to actually know which players we need and sign them on sensible wages for a sensible fee. That person in the good old days when owners just coughed up the money, used to be the manager. He would have a budget, buy the players, sort out the wages and then have to get results, or he was out. Now there are too many rich foreign owners who know next to nothing about football but want to appear like the next messiah while just blowing lots of money on rubbish. Unfortunately our owner has just blown loads of money on players who have come and taken as much money as they could get and left the club. For some reason DC preferred sacking managers who got stuck with DC advisor's rubbish signings, to sacking the advisor. Hopefully his latest aid knows more than the last, but it could just be another leach coming in to suck as much blood out of the club as they can. Just get a proper old fashioned manager in DC and let him run the club and spend the club's budget on whatever he sees fit. At least then, if he needs sacking it will be for his own mistakes.

I hope I am wrong about you Erik, but you smell dodgy to me, please prove me wrong.   

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
49 minutes ago, enigmamedusa said:

Easier said than done, but I love the Brentford approach.  Don't know if it's cost them lots of money

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7924507/Brentfords-maverick-methods-club-charge-Premier-League.html

"Acquiring the league's top performers for big fees, loaning players from a super agent's stable and owners selling stadiums to themselves has all become a common occurrence in a league where clubs face a race against the financial fair play clock to reach the promised land. "

But Brentford

'no d***head' policy when recruiting players

hierarchy structure of two directors of sport in Phil Giles and Rasmus Ankersen, as well as owner Matthew Benham

Bit like a moneyball approach

a 'B team', made up of a handful of exciting 16-20 year olds that adopts a style of play, culture and training consistent with that of the first team. The B team works closely with the senior squad, meaning that Frank is confident in calling a player up if in need due to their exposure to the first-team environment

Yeah but even with Brentford’s strategy what they’re doing is selling a player here and there for £20m then buying half a dozen players for a couple of million with the right attributes. I think Watkins cost them £2m from Exeter. It’s still sizeable money on relative unknowns in the knowledge that you only need to hit 1 in 5 successes to breakeven.

Our problem is we’re starting at zero and have no saleable assets (maybe Iorfa). So we’d need to stump up £20m just to get started building a squad of unknowns like they have. Their players are usually decent because they aren’t free transfers.. they have pedigree at a lower level or overseas. Knowing our luck we’d pay the money and end up with a squad of duds with none worth anything 

Harrowing read this.

Looks like the club once again hasn't done appropriate due diligence.

The guy screams dodgy salesman and Chansiri's fell for it. Why would any respecting businessman who understood football be splashing this all over Instagram?

He can't believe his luck and he's wanting to scream and shout about it to raise his profile in the short term.

If this turns out to be anything other than a disaster I'll be mightily surprised. My only hope is that this company and him are just acting as a go-between for real investment from external sources.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, enigmamedusa said:

We'll be fine.

Not sure paying the players without spending money is a good plan. They'd be well miffed. 

1 hour ago, NeonLeon said:

He runs a company that makes cakes for Guinness World Record attempts. 

"And I bloody well nailed it as well, yet some people continue to insist that I'm not a successful businessman!"

:Chansiri:

1 hour ago, enigmamedusa said:

I don't think spending money is the way forward.  We've tried that, a couple of times, and it normally ends up with us being massively in debt.

Yes, we technically spent money, but not in a way that brought quality or value to the side.

I'm not arguing for spending money, but I don't think we actually have "tried" it. Burning a pile of money isn't called trying it.

The return of Billsaga ?

What a time to be alive that was 

Thankfully I am older and wiser than waste time and energy on the narcissistic characters that we have an uncanny knack through desperation of attracting.

Guest Grandad

35 pages of investigation and nobody has yet found any examples of similar work he's done with other clubs

And there are fans literally creaming themselves

How does anybody expect the Chairman to learn lessons from the past when our fans don't.

4 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

What a ******** strange football club we have become, I honestly don't recognise us anymore.

Aye.

We've become an empty shell of our former selves, tangled in a web of businesses both real and dormant that don't actually do anything or produce anything, with characters who have no background in anything other than a web of businesses both real and dormant, most notably acting as middlemen for others in football (and face masks FFS!), who would still have been able to conclude business without them.

We've sold our soul, very much like Chelsea and Man City.  We've won fizz all,  very much unlike Chelsea and Man City.

Agree Manwe.  We were prepared to sell our souls to the devil to become the next Chelsea. We thought we were getting someone like Abramovich - an astute businessman, a winner.  

Instead we ended up with a Basil Fawlty type.  Only Wednesday.  It’s the Wednesday way.

• Like 2