Next manager odds

32 minutes ago, bronxowl said:

Have you not realised that Thompson will see the season out.

DC probably hasn’t got the money to pay a manager a wage.

I agree, think this is going to be the case. Seems a decent bloke - Thompson - but rarely works with inexperienced caretakers taking it on full time.

Especially with this mess he’d be adopting.

...saying that, Chansiri’s made it hard to care. I’d have the same faith, in our club being slowly destroyed from the top downward, whether we had Thompson, Klopp or Big Ron.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Everywhere & nowhere said:

Don’t think there’s much in the ‘in this capacity’ comment beyond being back as a player 

Surely he just meant, coming back as a supporter when he said 'in this capacity'. If his lad is a massive fan, he would have been coming back with him when the umbongo on fans is lifted. 

Might seem like a silly question but are we allowed to get a foreign manager, presumably they will require a work permit to work in the Uk, something that was not needed when we were part of the EU. 

What the point of doing any deal with a foreign manager if they are refused a work permit.

I just think bring in someone of experience, used to the English league in the last decade (that counts Pulis, out) to get us to the summer and stay up. Then hopefully income issues will ease as the Co-vid issues do and we can restructure the team properly in the summer.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, abdiwonderland said:

Get Keane in and lets get going!

The fireworks if he ever came here would be something to behold no way would he get on with or keep his mouth shut about dc and hid ‘advisor. Advisors’ would be entertaining that’s for sure

• Thanks 1

How on earth are we going to attract the right sort of manager under the circumstances that have been created? What next re contracting for SH & WW?....We are creating a combination of circumstances at S6 that no quality manager in my view would want to tackle,leaving only those chasing a job,& a wage...

its a recipe for disaster for any manager coming in......new manager,not in charge of recruitment,taking over a failing team,with  characters in it,that have allegedly caused discord with previous managers.....

Its clearly set up to fail.....

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Might seem like a silly question but are we allowed to get a foreign manager, presumably they will require a work permit to work in the Uk, something that was not needed when we were part of the EU. 

What the point of doing any deal with a foreign manager if they are refused a work permit.

I just think bring in someone of experience, used to the English league in the last decade (that counts Pulis, out) to get us to the summer and stay up. Then hopefully income issues will ease as the Co-vid issues do and we can restructure the team properly in the summer.

There might not be many decent options wanting a short term deal just until the summer, and then likely on their bike again. So I think we are going to stick with Thompson until then. He's done well so far, knows the club/players well so we could easily do a lot worse. It's less of a gamble than some inexperienced manager and we get relegated with them in charge. 

Stick as we are until the summer, then make the decision. Will be more appealing to a prospective manager also knowing that we are secure in the Champ (hopefully) rather than fighting for our lives- so we should have some better options for long term.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

The fireworks if he ever came here would be something to behold no way would he get on with or keep his mouth shut about dc and hid ‘advisor. Advisors’ would be entertaining that’s for sure

Keane's a perfectionist and likes everything just so.

He won't tolerate sloppiness.

And he's aggressive, the only one Ferguson never got the top side of.

I think that his stay here would be a brief one.

• Like 1

Just now, Spookone said:

Does anyone still think we will bring a new manager in before the end of the season? Me, I doubt it.

Said it a few times already recently, think it will be Thompson's, possibly till the end of the season or temporary. Sometime thereafter we'll get a foreign head coach, when it's possible to do so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Night-Owl said:

Think it's down to DC wanting a foreign style head coach. With the current situation and pandemic, it's difficult to bring in someone outside of the country. Seems to me like Thompson might get it until it's possible to bring in a foreign coach or if not someone might be brought in just to see the season out, on a short term deal, similar to Cardiff appointing McCarthy short term? 

Keane is foreign...Get him in...UTO

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

There might not be many decent options wanting a short term deal just until the summer, and then likely on their bike again. So I think we are going to stick with Thompson until then. He's done well so far, knows the club/players well so we could easily do a lot worse. It's less of a gamble than some inexperienced manager and we get relegated with them in charge. 

Stick as we are until the summer, then make the decision. Will be more appealing to a prospective manager also knowing that we are secure in the Champ (hopefully) rather than fighting for our lives- so we should have some better options for long term.

The think is though very few managers get a new job when things are all rosy in the garden, its the nature of the business that they come in with a team or club not performing very well, you can count on one hand the number of clubs who have brought in a manager when a team was in the top 6 to get them over the line (I hope there is no Meggo fans on here)

I think you see a lot more in a manager when a team is losing than when everything is laid out for them. Thompson has got a few wins but equally we could have had 1 points from 2 games instead of 6, Derby smashed us in the first half and 3 or 4 - 0 would not have been flattering to them and the second half against Boro we were looking and some excellent Westwood saves to get the points.

• Like 1

Just now, room0035 said:

The think is though very few managers get a new job when things are all rosy in the garden, its the nature of the business that they come in with a team or club not performing very well, you can count on one hand the number of clubs who have brought in a manager when a team was in the top 6 to get them over the line (I hope there is no Meggo fans on here)

I think you see a lot more in a manager when a team is losing than when everything is laid out for them. Thompson has got a few wins but equally we could have had 1 points from 2 games instead of 6, Derby smashed us in the first half and 3 or 4 - 0 would not have been flattering to them and the second half against Boro we were looking and some excellent Westwood saves to get the points.

Yes, I agree.

I think once we start losing, then we'll be in a Bullen scenario.

We'll be dead and buried.

• Like 2