Next manager odds

15 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

If Alonso is the other "recruitment camp", then you'd suspect Paco Jemez must have a really good chance.

The Pulis affair, like you've touched on, could well have strained the relationship between Paixao and Chansiri. After all, Pulis was known to Paixao. 

But, this thread is now up to 57 pages, but can anybody really say with any confidence, that whoever gets the gig is going to make a jot to difference to things?

We're a rudderless ship. The only hope is giving a manager full control and hoping he is given enough time to turn things around putting his stamp on things, something we all assumed was the remit of Pulis. And is the sole reason why the majority of fans are encouraged by Cook. 

This fantasy of employing a head coach is simply going to continue to spiral and spiral until the bottom falls out. Employing a head coach with the remit to develop and players and adhere to a philosophy is something I fully subscribe to...but it is utterly pointless unless you have the structures in place to ensure all the dots are able to join up. 

We've got a chairman with no clue about football stranded 6000 miles away. Two agents squabbling and fighting to worm their players into the club. Financial problems that make your eyes water. And a set of players, bar two of them, that can barely control a bag of sand. 

Desperate, desperate situation.

Perfectly summed up.

The notion that we can simply employ a 'head coach' with none of the associated structures in place above to ensure whoever takes on that role can properly function, is ridiculous.

We've even had posters defend Chansiri for trying to switch towards the Brentford model, which would be laughable if it weren't so bloody heartbreaking to hear. We couldn't be further from a well-run club like Brentford right now, and yet some fans still portray any concerns around Chansiri's running of our club as disproportionate negativity.

My only hope with a manager like Pulis was that, regardless of his style of football,  he might be battle-hardened and savvy enough to negotiate a way through this mess and force through a few of the necessary changes in spite of the chaos above him. If rumours of yet another flip-flop back to a 'head coach' approach are true, then I shudder to think where we might end up given the void at the heart of our club.

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

If Alonso is the other "recruitment camp", then you'd suspect Paco Jemez must have a really good chance.

The Pulis affair, like you've touched on, could well have strained the relationship between Paixao and Chansiri. After all, Pulis was known to Paixao. 

But, this thread is now up to 57 pages, but can anybody really say with any confidence, that whoever gets the gig is going to make a jot to difference to things?

We're a rudderless ship. The only hope is giving a manager full control and hoping he is given enough time to turn things around putting his stamp on things, something we all assumed was the remit of Pulis. And is the sole reason why the majority of fans are encouraged by Cook. 

This fantasy of employing a head coach is simply going to continue to spiral and spiral until the bottom falls out. Employing a head coach with the remit to develop and players and adhere to a philosophy is something I fully subscribe to...but it is utterly pointless unless you have the structures in place to ensure all the dots are able to join up. 

We've got a chairman with no clue about football stranded 6000 miles away. Two agents squabbling and fighting to worm their players into the club. Financial problems that make your eyes water. And a set of players, bar two of them, that can barely control a bag of sand. 

Desperate, desperate situation.

It is a poor situation and to my mind only way out is a good manager who is not tied into advisor factions and given head to do things his way. Think squad is better than you indicate but it has some glaring emissions. The only glimmer of hope I saw is that our old advisor is not making all the decisions. 

I was trying to set out recruitment process and state of play as I see it I was not condoning the ridiculous stance of a head coach and switch to attacking football. We do not have players to do that and some one is desperately needed to hone recruitment and develop a strategic direction. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Perfectly summed up.

The notion that we can simply employ a 'head coach' with none of the associated structures in place above to ensure whoever takes on that role can properly function, is ridiculous.

We've even had posters defend Chansiri for trying to switch towards the Brentford model, which would be laughable if it weren't so bloody heartbreaking to hear. We couldn't be further from a well-run club like Brentford right now, and yet some fans still portray any concerns around Chansiri's running of our club as disproportionate negativity.

My only hope with a manager like Pulis was that, regardless of his style of football,  he might be battle-hardened and savvy enough to negotiate a way through this mess and force through a few of the necessary changes in spite of the chaos above him. If rumours of yet another flip-flop back to a 'head coach' approach are true, then I shudder to think where we might end up given the void at the heart of our club.

Fully agree with this except for bit on TP. he was a Paixao selection and they thought they had another yes man. however from what I saw he did not seem bothered and difficult to understand why he took job. Only hope this has caused rift between DC and our favourite advisor.

10 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Wouldn’t it be nice if Chansiri was finally waking up to what a blood sucker Paxo is after the Pulis situation, jobs for mates and all that. 

It would, but you have to think there is something more to Paxo. Others have been fired with regularity but he remains, despite being incompetent and making Chansiri look a fool at every opportunity. 

Rather than just this half arsed stupidly drawn out search for a manager, should extend effort on a new executive structure to exorcise the cancer of certain advisors.

That said another poster reported rumours of selling up as long as we avoid relegation (please be true) which perhaps explains the embarrassing 4 month contract to the end of the season reportedly being offered to prospective managers.

10 hours ago, Quist said:

Fully agree with this except for bit on TP. he was a Paixao selection and they thought they had another yes man. however from what I saw he did not seem bothered and difficult to understand why he took job. Only hope this has caused rift between DC and our favourite advisor.

Maybe so.

I had still hoped that having a manager as experienced as Pulis at the helm might at least give us an element of sensible, informed decision-making which might mitigate the impact of our chairman and his 'advisors' on the first team squad.

It was similar to how I felt when Bruce was in charge - a sense that having a knowledgeable footballing man involved might save us from the worst of it all...in both cases, I suppose it was a desperate, naïve hope.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Why don't you just support the name Sheffield Wednesday, like I do.

The background noise is titunus...no cure unfortunately.

I did say ‘nearly’........Having said that, fortunately I’ve never had mental health issues, but Chansiri is trying his hardest to give me them

25 minutes ago, Jim said:

Clarence Seedorf 28/1 🤔

He would not get a work permit. In last 5 ears has nt completed 24 months work as manager at several clubs. After first stint at Milan (long time ago now) his record has been terrible. He has relegated a club so does have experience if you want out of Championship.

Only other to shorten is Lange again someone who has not managed a club for 24 months in required period and time at Benfica was poor, destroyed a decent team. Think these re attempts to get fools backing them by bookies or desperate agents putting names forward. Another geezer I have never heard of appeared in betting yesterday and again would stand no chance of getting work permit.

It is a joke and not very funny one.

2 minutes ago, Quist said:

He would not get a work permit. In last 5 ears has nt completed 24 months work as manager at several clubs. After first stint at Milan (long time ago now) his record has been terrible. He has relegated a club so does have experience if you want out of Championship.

Only other to shorten is Lange again someone who has not managed a club for 24 months in required period and time at Benfica was poor, destroyed a decent team. Think these re attempts to get fools backing them by bookies or desperate agents putting names forward. Another geezer I have never heard of appeared in betting yesterday and again would stand no chance of getting work permit.

His record at Benfica was good ? 51 wins and 13 losses. Wouldn’t really say poor.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Quist said:

FWIW due to these uncertain times I can’t see this work permit criteria being as closely followed now as it might be sometime in the future?

I take your point about Seedorf’s managerial career so far but it might click for him somewhere and that somewhere might be here plus I don’t think he’d have a problem with the short term contract that is currently on offer?

Thing is the fans want Cook. Cook knows this and is playing the Pied Piper with it and the Chairman is understandably cautious about appointing him?

If we were in League 1, I could understand the clamour for him. His success is in the lower divisions. His record in the championship is mixed to say the least. Could Cook build a promotion winning side at this level? Maybe, maybe not? It’s one thing getting success on a budget in Leagues 1& 2. It’s a totally different kettle of fish doing the same at championship level?

15 minutes ago, Jim said:

FWIW due to these uncertain times I can’t see this work permit criteria being as closely followed now as it might be sometime in the future?

I take your point about Seedorf’s managerial career so far but it might click for him somewhere and that somewhere might be here plus I don’t think he’d have a problem with the short term contract that is currently on offer?

Thing is the fans want Cook. Cook knows this and is playing the Pied Piper with it and the Chairman is understandably cautious about appointing him?

If we were in League 1, I could understand the clamour for him. His success is in the lower divisions. His record in the championship is mixed to say the least. Could Cook build a promotion winning side at this level? Maybe, maybe not? It’s one thing getting success on a budget in Leagues 1& 2. It’s a totally different kettle of fish doing the same at championship level?

The thing is Wilder has done it with a slightly better win ratio than Cook but it shows what can be done. I'm not promoting Cook over anyone else but he ought to be aware of some players with potential in the lower divisions. Would our chairman allow a manager to operate in the way though.