Next manager odds

I really agree with Quist that scouring unemployed managers is not the best route to take.

Also that we should steer well clear of anyone who has been out of work for more than 12 months (medical reasons excluded).

We struck lucky with Big Ron in that he had just been fired at Athletico for no reason by an erratic Chairman.

On this basis Paul Cook should be considdered but Chris Coleman fails to qualify

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Quist said:

Thats a fair point and one reason no great success. Scouring ranks of unemployed is never best source of managers. If out of work over 12 months should not be considered.

36 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

I really agree with Quist that scouring unemployed managers is not the best route to take.

Also that we should steer well clear of anyone who has been out of work for more than 12 months (medical reasons excluded).

We struck lucky with Big Ron in that he had just been fired at Athletico for no reason by an erratic Chairman.

On this basis Paul Cook should be considdered but Chris Coleman fails to qualify

I kinda agree with the 12 months bit, but recently Pochettino was out of work for over 12 months (a different class of manager though haha.) I personally wouldn't role out looking at those managers in that situation.

37 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

I kinda agree with the 12 months bit, but recently Pochettino was out of work for over 12 months (a different class of manager though haha.) I personally wouldn't role out looking at those managers in that situation.

Pochettino was still being paid by Spurs. They did not pay his contract up so was technically still employed. I take your pointthough and their will be exceptions to rule. i was told a while ago. A new manager should not have been out of work for more than 12 months and he should have enjoyed success at more than one club. Also to avoid if last success was more than 5 years ago. Also to look at how team finished if set off well and did poorly was not a good sign. It thins candidates down but some do qualify.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Cook could have an issue ,Sign his own players etc ,Paxo saying that is not possible .

Why do you think that’a an  issue, we signed Monk, I know for a fact at previous clubs he arrived and told players out right if you don’t change your agent to mine , You won’t be playing!( I have spoken to one player and another’s agent , before you ask for source) 

One of them was very surprising given he had started every game and was clearly first choice before monk arrived. 

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Quist said:

Pochettino was still being paid by Spurs. They did not pay his contract up so was technically still employed. I take your pointthough and their will be exceptions to rule. i was told a while ago. A new manager should not have been out of work for more than 12 months and he should have enjoyed success at more than one club. Also to avoid if last success was more than 5 years ago. Also to look at how team finished if set off well and did poorly was not a good sign. It thins candidates down but some do qualify.

Yeah some good targets for looking at the candidates.

13 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

Why do you think that’a an  issue, we signed Monk, I know for a fact at previous clubs he arrived and told players out right if you don’t change your agent to mine , You won’t be playing!( I have spoken to one player and another’s agent , before you ask for source) 

One of them was very surprising given he had started every game and was clearly first choice before monk arrived. 

Is he coming then ? 

4 hours ago, Quist said:

Surely if it was the other way round they wouldn't be unemployed. That leaves us with only poaching managers from other clubs which isn't going to happen.

7 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Surely if it was the other way round they wouldn't be unemployed. That leaves us with only poaching managers from other clubs which isn't going to happen.

No for example Wigan were in higher position than when Cook took over and teams form was good.

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Wonder if us having our next 2 games postponed will work against Thompson. If we had played them and won I think he would have got the permanent job. 

I still think Thompson at 12/1 is where the value is. Give it another week and I think his price will come in.

If he was to get the job it would be with the task of keeping us up pure and simple. There would be no

long term plan for now. There simply can’t be until we know what division we’ll be in next season?

Longer term I can see another swathe of senior pros leaving and if budgets continue to be cut, it’s going to be a difficult job going forward.

I’m still expecting the model of players being provided for the head coach as the way forward. It’ll split opinion on here but what doesn’t? 🤣

• Like 1