BREAKING NEWS - TONY PULIS SACKED

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

From a purely footballing perspective..

THANK FOOOOOOOK HE'S GONE

We no longer have to put up with fellow Sheffield Wednesday fans trying to tell us that defending for 90 minutes with a 8-2-0 formation is the only way to stay up

Can we agree never ever to be in that situation ever again?

Agree the football is horrible but there's a huge mess behind the scenes and it feels as though its out of control and snowballing at a pace. We now have to get a new guy in which takes us in to January (?), they will have to see the squad to decide what they want in terms of signings in the January window, by which time you get someone in and another month has gone before we've strengthened....assuming we have a chance of attracting someone. Another nail in our coffin. 

Pulis was always going to play Pulis football. Put that to one side. He has inherited a depleted squad after Monk had a clear out. Pulis was honest and in my opinion tried his best. I am guessing he wanted players and DC would not provide. 

We are in trouble. Not just in terms of league position but in terms of club survival. Look at the facts:

- a revolving door of managers

- a squad of players we simply can’t sell.

- players not getting paid

- the ground sold out of the limited company that is our club

- a loan against the ground

- DC seemingly lying in saying it was a debt he was unaware of. This is not possible in my opinion.

We are in a very worrying place. DC terrifies me. He has no idea what he is doing yet is full of self belief.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Should never have been appointed in the first place , and shows how badly advised Chansiri is  and how ridiculous our club has become.

Wrong man at the wrong time , players just do not respond to dinosaurs like Pulis any longer. 

I eagerly anticipate the next merry go round uninspiring appointment,  whether that be the inexplicable fans favourite Paul Cook or another name that we latch on to. 

Guest whowantstoberich

Gutted to wake up to this news. Pulis would have saved us.

This has nothing at all to do with results, it’s clear as day down to a bust up

I am not at all surprised by the decision. Chansiri is a loose cannon but the football has been breathtakingly bad. The Sheffield Live article suggests the players also disliked the tactics and were finding it hard to play in a Pulis side.

I obviously don't know where we are at financially (granted it hasn't looked good with the unpaid wages) but the form under Pulis has been terrible. Chopping and changing the team, no consistency, constantly tweaking tactics, trying not to lose first. I feel like Pulis was also 'setting himself up' for this with the media interviews. He clearly didn't do his due diligence before taking the job and quickly realised we didn't have the personnel to play his tactics. That's when he went into shifting the blame to the foundations of the team vs himself.

The entire focus then became about January vs working with the team he had. You're telling me we couldn't play Windass and Rhodes up front who both got a goal a piece against Cardiff and looked the part? Izzy Brown could only play 10 minutes when we were crying out for midfielders. 

We don't have a great side but I still believe there's more quality in the side than Pulis has been showing. The Bournemouth performance before Monk was sacked was brilliant. What struck me with Pulis is that his time in the game has gone. He's comfortable financially, has a large family bubble and then stepped away from that to come to Sheffield in what is a poo storm of a job. His ship has sailed and he needs to enjoy his life away from management IMO. 

I am trying to look at this positively (more will come out I am sure) but the longer things went on he didn't seem like the right fit for Sheffield Wednesday. Arguably just before the transfer window is a perfect time to make this decision. Whether it's purely footballing we will never know but it cannot be great to play within a Pulis side.

Decent manager in his day but things have moved on and IMO his ship has sailed. Bad appointment in hindsight but let's hope we can get someone who can play on the front foot and we can at least battle our way to survival in a way which at least stimulates the fans again.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Anybody justifying this decision or commenting on the style of play are missing the point... big time.  

This decision is a sad indictment of how the club is run. 

Whether you wanted Pulis, disliked his style of play or were dissatisfied with results... there’s no denying, we had a manager who had the nous and experience to begin to sort out the problems that run deep within this football club. 

But the owner refuses to be challenged. I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt in the past, but enough is enough. He cannot carry on running the club with such disdain. 

The real worry however, is that this is only the beginning of the end. Things will only get worse from here on in. Chansiri’s pot has run dry... who’s going to fund the club moving forward? It’s time we start asking serious questions about the immediate existence of our football club. 

The end could be nigh. 

Absolutely this. Pulis is not the story here. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Guest Bulgaria
11 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Anybody justifying this decision or commenting on the style of play are missing the point... big time.  

Morning Fras, 

Just playing devil's advocate but what if Pulis gave him a torrent of abuse making it impossible for DC not to sack him?

9 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

This decision is a sad indictment of how the club is run. 

Whether you wanted Pulis, disliked his style of play or were dissatisfied with results... there’s no denying, we had a manager who had the nous and experience to begin to sort out the problems that run deep within this football club. 

But the owner refuses to be challenged. I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt in the past, but enough is enough. He cannot carry on running the club with such disdain. 

The real worry however, is that this is only the beginning of the end. Things will only get worse from here on in. Chansiri’s pot has run dry... who’s going to fund the club moving forward? It’s time we start asking serious questions about the immediate existence of our football club. 

The end could be nigh. 

The real hope is that this is the beginning of the end for Chansiri. To quote MacBeth “ If it be done best be done quickly”

Guest domSWFC

Crazy timing, but it is the right decision if we can get Cook in. 

Pulis was playing the worst football I've seen at Wednesday, and losing. 

We don't have a great squad, but we definitely have enough to stay up.

We don't have a 20 goal striker, but between Windass, Paterson, Rhodes and Kachunga we have enough to stay up. They are proven championship quality and Pulis treated them like they are non league just because they don't suit long ball. 

If Pulis can't get us clean sheets playing the most negative football I've ever seen, then defence is our biggest issue and we can't win games by sitting back for 90 minutes. 

We aren't going to sign anyone in January, I'm sure of that. But we need to get someone in to get us playing to win. We are all expecting relegation, and Pulis would have taken us down with dire football, so let's go for it and attack. 

Meh, went to bed earlier so missed all the excitement. 

Our club is in a complete, utter mess and it's probably fair to say most of us have given up hope, faith and interest.

DC has a LOT of work to do, to win back the fans. I think it's too far gone now. BUT, if he walks, then what? No one will buy us for the price he'd want. We're in big debt, can't afford to pay the wages, no stadium and the squad, thanks to Monk, is in a reyt mess with no balance and no quality.

We will go down as we have fizz all money to strengthen. We will then get sucked into the League 1 struggle for many years.

Guest Mcguigan
7 hours ago, Royal_D said:

Think everyone could see this coming,  wasn’t ever a relationship that was gonna work 

Most important thing here is where’s the money come from to pay him off 

Windass sale?