Blackburn vs SWFC - Post Match Reaction - what did you make of that?

2 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Didn’t see the game today, just watched the highlights. Why was our second goal disallowed? I’ve watched it multiple times and for the life of me can’t see why. If it’s for offside, look at the fella in front of Lees, he’s not off.

Agreed

Looked onside to me

Owlstalk Shop

good point for me, good battling performance again. Blackburn had scored a lot of goals but our defence held up well.

Need to get re-enforcements in quick too many players getting injured. Luongo out long term, could do with Hutchinson signing until, end of season at least he could start playing early January

5 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Pretty dire overall. Defended well for the most part. Not sure what Paterson was doing when they scored. He had a chance to put his foot in but didn't.

Joey did ok today.

Good goal from Reach.

Van Aken gives too attackers too much space and allows them to turn to get a shot away. Westwood wasn't happy with him just before he went off. He's never been a CB.

Windass ran his testicles off but can't finish. Bannan tried to do too much when simpler passes are on.

When we went 1-0 up we should have gone for it because we were never going to hold on at 1-0 and let's be honest Blackburn should probably have done better on a few of their chances.

Good effort from Lees, unlucky with the disallowed goal.

Personally, I think we need to go 4-4-2 to have any hope of getting goals.

Pleased we didn't lose but unless we make some shrewd signings we are not getting any better.

Are you my twin? Couldn’t disagree with a word.

• Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Thought we were awful in possession but defended very well except for the goal.

Westwood 7 no protection for goal and a couple of good saves

Palmer 6 ok

Lees 7 defended well except for goal. His goal should have stood in my opinion 

Dunkley 7 the man is a warrior 

Van Aken 6 some good last ditch defending but he has to because he is soooo slow

Odubajo 8 outstanding. Personally he wouldn’t play after what he did last week if I was the boss but that was a good performance 

Pelupessy 5 he’s done better recently but the man can’t even pass to someone two yards away

Bannan 6 squandered possession a lot. Probably bored of playing with others not on his level

Paterson 6 I gave him an extra for the brilliant block and the cross for the Lees ‘goal’. Unfortunately he looks like a fan who won a competition to play 

Reach 7 outstanding goal...why no celebration?

Windass 6 had two half chances and flufffed them both. I’d like to see him in the Paterson position behind a new striker 

Shaw 3 absolutely AWFUL. The fact Monk thought he was a cb shows how garbage Monk is. Defensive midfielder or bench, preferably bench

Harris 5 couldn’t get in the game

Brown 4 I’m really hoping we send him back

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Right back, converted to a striker, then played as attacking midfielder by Pulis and today asked to sit in front of the back 9 and defend all game

The only one I saw in front of the back 9 was when Tom Lees had his goal ruled out. I thought they so obviously tried to get ten yards further up the pitch. We have to do what we can with the limited resources at our disposal.

Westwood - 7 - No chance for the goal, but rarely called to do anything other than the routine. Very well protected for the most-part.

Palmer - 7 - Offered nothing offensively, but did alright as part of a fairly resolute, organised backline.

Lees - 7 - On the whole, he did well again. But, he's got to do better for the Rothwell...yes, Paterson, or Bannan should've done more to prevent it earlier, but Lees far too easily gets dragged out wide and leaves a chasm in the danger area.

Dunkley - 8 - He's a worry with the ball at his feet...but he's a defender who can defend...very well. Another good performance.

Van Aken - 6 - Maybe a tad harsh, because when he went off, Armstrong seemed to cause us far more problems, but he's too slow. Gets turned and rolled too easily, too often. And that often leaves him needing to make desperate last ditch challenges.

Odubajo - 8 - His form has gone under the radar because of the Forest incident, but he's playing at a very good level at the minute. And yesterday was no different. Energetic, and covered the ground down the left flank really well. Offered good support, and defended very well.

Pelupessy - 7 - Battled away, and did alright. Was concerned how often Blackburn bypassed our midfield (especially considering how condense we packed it), but shored things up in the 2nd half and put in a decent display.

Paterson - 5 - He's rubbish. I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt...but I genuinely don't know what abilities he has. He's slow, ponderous, technically woeful and lacks composure. I fear we've been had. Should've taken Rothwell down for the goal

Bannan - 5 - Probably his worst display in a Wednesday shirt that I can recall. Never known him to give the ball away so often. As a result, we looked clueless as an offensive outfit.

Reach - 7 - Toiled away, but his frustration with the negative approach and ineptitude of his teammates was telling. Stunning goal, and could've had a second on another day. Really hope the injury isn't too bad.

Windass - 6 - Not sure how to mark him really. For the 1st half, he was playing a different game to the rest of the team. Totally isolated. Plugged away, and probably should've got a goal with the couple of chances he had.

Shaw - 5 - He's probably still dizzy now. Armstrong had him on toast. Really struggled.

Overall...

Decent point... would've taken it before hand. And given how poorly we played with the ball, we probably should be grateful for the share of the spoils. Because for long periods, we were embarrassingly poor. It was frightening how so many of us couldn't pass a ball yesterday.

That said, defensively, the goal aside (and Van Aken playing in slow motion for Armstrong's effort that hit the post), I thought we looked pretty comfortable throughout. And once we'd got a goal up (undeservedly), I feel we probably should've been able to see the game out.

But yet another lapse in concentration, and players not doing the right thing has cost us more points.

Not a disastrous result...but the performances from attacking aspects is very worrying.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Westwood - 7 - No chance for the goal, but rarely called to do anything other than the routine. Very well protected for the most-part.

Palmer - 7 - Offered nothing offensively, but did alright as part of a fairly resolute, organised backline.

Lees - 7 - On the whole, he did well again. But, he's got to do better for the Rothwell...yes, Paterson, or Bannan should've done more to prevent it earlier, but Lees far too easily gets dragged out wide and leaves a chasm in the danger area.

Dunkley - 8 - He's a worry with the ball at his feet...but he's a defender who can defend...very well. Another good performance.

Van Aken - 6 - Maybe a tad harsh, because when he went off, Armstrong seemed to cause us far more problems, but he's too slow. Gets turned and rolled too easily, too often. And that often leaves him needing to make desperate last ditch challenges.

Odubajo - 8 - His form has gone under the radar because of the Forest incident, but he's playing at a very good level at the minute. And yesterday was no different. Energetic, and covered the ground down the left flank really well. Offered good support, and defended very well.

Pelupessy - 7 - Battled away, and did alright. Was concerned how often Blackburn bypassed our midfield (especially considering how condense we packed it), but shored things up in the 2nd half and put in a decent display.

Paterson - 5 - He's rubbish. I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt...but I genuinely don't know what abilities he has. He's slow, ponderous, technically woeful and lacks composure. I fear we've been had. Should've taken Rothwell down for the goal

Bannan - 5 - Probably his worst display in a Wednesday shirt that I can recall. Never known him to give the ball away so often. As a result, we looked clueless as an offensive outfit.

Reach - 7 - Toiled away, but his frustration with the negative approach and ineptitude of his teammates was telling. Stunning goal, and could've had a second on another day. Really hope the injury isn't too bad.

Windass - 6 - Not sure how to mark him really. For the 1st half, he was playing a different game to the rest of the team. Totally isolated. Plugged away, and probably should've got a goal with the couple of chances he had.

Shaw - 5 - He's probably still dizzy now. Armstrong had him on toast. Really struggled.

Overall...

Decent point... would've taken it before hand. And given how poorly we played with the ball, we probably should be grateful for the share of the spoils. Because for long periods, we were embarrassingly poor. It was frightening how so many of us couldn't pass a ball yesterday.

That said, defensively, the goal aside (and Van Aken playing in slow motion for Armstrong's effort that hit the post), I thought we looked pretty comfortable throughout. And once we'd got a goal up (undeservedly), I feel we probably should've been able to see the game out.

But yet another lapse in concentration, and players not doing the right thing has cost us more points.

Not a disastrous result...but the performances from attacking aspects is very worrying.

Spot on as per 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Overall...

Pretty much spot on. I must admit I didn't see much of Shaw, the game seemed to pass him by. Didn't see him do anything good or disastrous.

27 minutes ago, prowl said:

Pretty much spot on. I must admit I didn't see much of Shaw, the game seemed to pass him by. Didn't see him do anything good or disastrous.

For me, Armstrong had been kept very quiet throughout (other than his turn and shot that hit the post).

But, as soon as Van Aken went off, he seemed to run us ragged down that right hand side, and Shaw just couldn't get near him.

It's no shame, Armstrong's a brilliant, little player...but still highlighted the limitations in Shaw's game at the moment, and our lack of cover at centre half.

• Like 1