Copa Libertadores

IWEDFM

Shaping up to be another mouthwatering superclasico final as both Boca and River are into the semi's. They both face Brasillian opposition in Santos and Palmeiras respectively. Difficult ties but I do fancy Boca and River to make it through to the final as the Argentine sides in general are stronger and have more depth. There will be no repeat of the violence that marred this fixture two years ago should both sides progress as fans are banned

As a side note Carlos Tevez was outstanding last night against Racing Club. Still going strong at the age of 36 and is Boca's talisman

Edited by IWEDFM

10 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Definitely mate, the Racing keeper played a blinder. Are they showing the matches back home?

No I caught the highlights. I went to watch Athletico Nacional live last year and have kept an eye on South American football ever since. Where abouts are you based? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

No I caught the highlights. I went to watch Athletico Nacional live last year and have kept an eye on South American football ever since. Where abouts are you based? 

I'm in Mar del Plata, Argentina 

Around a 5 hour drive from Buenos Aires

Been here 14 years

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

I'm in Mar del Plata, Argentina 

Around a 5 hour drive from Buenos Aires

Been here 14 years

Sorry to go off topic, 

But I fancy Brazil and Argentina sometime for a 2 or 3 week holiday, go see Santos, boca, flamengo.

South America still not got the best Rep for tourism etc. Any tips for planning a trip and how to stay safe if covid ever ends. 

3 hours ago, fudge27 said:

Sorry to go off topic, 

But I fancy Brazil and Argentina sometime for a 2 or 3 week holiday, go see Santos, boca, flamengo.

South America still not got the best Rep for tourism etc. Any tips for planning a trip and how to stay safe if covid ever ends. 

I can't tell you much about Brasil as i've not had the chance to visit but regarding Argentina you shouldn't have any problems as long as you stick to the main touristic spots. Try to keep to Palmero, Recoleta and Puerto Madero when you're in Buenos Aires as these are exclusive neighbourhoods so are generally quite safe. Try to blend in with the locals as much as possible. Using flip flops and a sombrero for example will give the game away and you'll stick out like a sore thumb making you an easy target for thieves

Don't use banks/cash machines at night, try to use them in the day. I would recommend using a tour if you are planning to see some matches. If you don't know the neighbourhoods you could end up in trouble as most of them are quite dodgy where football grounds are concerned. You can book tours from most hotels/hostels and they even take you to and from the ground which would be your safest bet

1 hour ago, IWEDFM said:

I can't tell you much about Brasil as i've not had the chance to visit but regarding Argentina you shouldn't have any problems as long as you stick to the main touristic spots. Try to keep to Palmero, Recoleta and Puerto Madero when you're in Buenos Aires as these are exclusive neighbourhoods so are generally quite safe. Try to blend in with the locals as much as possible. Using flip flops and a sombrero for example will give the game away and you'll stick out like a sore thumb making you an easy target for thieves

Don't use banks/cash machines at night, try to use them in the day. I would recommend using a tour if you are planning to see some matches. If you don't know the neighbourhoods you could end up in trouble as most of them are quite dodgy where football grounds are concerned. You can book tours from most hotels/hostels and they even take you to and from the ground which would be your safest bet

Top man, appreciate it brother 👍

24 minutes ago, Oliver said:

Pretty sure I remember you moving there... you were on here back then I think?

Christ that makes me feel old. 

Spot on mate, I joined Owlstalk in 2005 and moved here in 2006

Anyone watch this week's games - 1st leg semi-finals?

Was disappointed in River Plate, they really had little to offer in attack to break down a  well organized Palmeiros side, who were excellent on the counter.

Boca didn't shoe much in the other semi against Santos, who should have had a penalty in the 2nd half. VAR said 'no'. Tevez looked lively for a 30-odd year old up front and had a couple of chances but overall a disappointing game. Hopefully a different story in the 2nd leg.

Link to full games on iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0927jmz/copa-libertadores-2020-boca-juniors-v-santos

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0927glf/copa-libertadores-2020-river-plate-v-palmeiras

On 24/12/2020 at 15:25, fudge27 said:

Sorry to go off topic, 

Apologies for butting in F27, but I can recommend Rio. It's everything you think it will be. World famous sights and landmarks that you've probably seen & heard about since you were a kid. Great place.

13 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Anyone watch this week's games - 1st leg semi-finals?

Was disappointed in River Plate, they really had little to offer in attack to break down a  well organized Palmeiros side, who were excellent on the counter.

Boca didn't shoe much in the other semi against Santos, who should have had a penalty in the 2nd half. VAR said 'no'. Tevez looked lively for a 30-odd year old up front and had a couple of chances but overall a disappointing game. Hopefully a different story in the 2nd leg.

Link to full games on iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0927jmz/copa-libertadores-2020-boca-juniors-v-santos

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0927glf/copa-libertadores-2020-river-plate-v-palmeiras

An off night for River because under Gallardo they are an absolute machine. I honestly wouldn't bet against them turning it around in Brasil. They've done it before from this position and we've seen it happen several times in the Champions League in recent years. As for Boca they probably have the advantage having not conceded an away goal. A score draw in Brasil and they're through. I can still see both sides getting to the final to be honest but obviously from a River perspective it's an uphill battle but an early goal in Brasil and they'll turn the tie on it's head

1 hour ago, The only way is S6 said:

Apologies for butting in F27, but I can recommend Rio. It's everything you think it will be. World famous sights and landmarks that you've probably seen & heard about since you were a kid. Great place.

Rio is definitely on the list if i manage to get out! Cheers mate! 

Edited by fudge27

1 hour ago, IWEDFM said:

An off night for River because under Gallardo they are an absolute machine. I honestly wouldn't bet against them turning it around in Brasil. They've done it before from this position and we've seen it happen several times in the Champions League in recent years. As for Boca they probably have the advantage having not conceded an away goal. A score draw in Brasil and they're through. I can still see both sides getting to the final to be honest but obviously from a River perspective it's an uphill battle but an early goal in Brasil and they'll turn the tie on it's head

Interesting what you say about River. I expected more and was surprised by how little they offered on the night. Equally surprised how Palmeiros took advantage. Will be an interesting 2nd leg.

Watching Boca, while again expecting more, they did seem to be holding back somehow and at the end looked much more aggressive up front while Santos seemed to tired. Although it was a draw, I came away feeling that Boca would still get the upper hand in the return.

Glad BBC have got coverage

River were robbed. VAR is completly useless. What is the point of it? It causes far more problems than solutions

River should have been awarded two stonewall pens and the ref gave one only for VAR to overturn the decision. Also disallowed a perfectly good River goal which would have made it 3-0 on the night and 3-3 on aggregate and possibly taken the game into extra time

River were outstanding AND with ten men and in reality could have scored 5 or 6. Palmeiras were shocking. I knew River would come at them but they just sat deep and started taking the ball into the corner after 70 minutes despite having an extra man. Hope Boca get through tomorrow and wipe the floor with them in the final

34 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

River were robbed. VAR is completly useless. What is the point of it? It causes far more problems than solutions

River should have been awarded two stonewall pens and the ref gave one only for VAR to overturn the decision. Also disallowed a perfectly good River goal which would have made it 3-0 on the night and 3-3 on aggregate and possibly taken the game into extra time

River were outstanding AND with ten men and in reality could have scored 5 or 6. Palmeiras were shocking. I knew River would come at them but they just sat deep and started taking the ball into the corner after 70 minutes despite having an extra man. Hope Boca get through tomorrow and wipe the floor with them in the final

I think Santos win the whole thing now. Marinho too good.

Just saw the brief highlights on the BBC website, but it looked to me like the two penalty decisions were correct. The first one it looks like the River player is going down before contact is made (and his left foot is also inexplicably affected at the same moment when the contact - which is minimal to say the least - was to the right foot), and the second one looks like offside. The disallowed goal is difficult to tell what's going on because the BBC's highlights are so edited down so much you can't tell what the whole story is - all you see is that there was an offside at some stage, presumably early in the build-up to the goal.

• Like 1