Owls interested in Defender Daniel O’Shaughnessy......

QPR, Sheffield Wednesday, Preston North End and Barnsley are all plotting raids to sign HJK Helsinki defender Daniel O’Shaughnessy in January, Football Insider understands.

The 26-year-old Finland international has been a standout performer for both club and country in 2020 and has caught the eye of several scouts from the English Championship.

• Thanks 1

It is understood O’Shaughnessy could cost in the region of around £500,000, with his contract at HJK set to expire next December.

There would also be no issues with the new Brexit regulations on foreign transfers as a result of the defender possessing both a Finnish and Irish passport.

The HJK star left his current club as a youngster for French outfit Metz in 2012 before he arrived in England to join Brentford’s academy two years later.

The versatile defender, who can also play at left-back, spent two years with the Bees, which included a spell at FC Midtjylland, before he left for Cheltenham Town on a free transfer.

O’Shaughnessy made 49 appearances for the Robins, 37 of which came in League Two, before he returned to HJK on a free in January 2018.

• Thanks 2

He's OK, but I wouldn't call him a standout performer. The Finnish national league is not very high standard so it really doesn't mean a thing if he's performed there. HJK is the regular favourite to win the championship every year and they have a healthy amount of resources so at least he gets to play with the best players of the league all the time. Their European challenges have gone nowhere for a long time now, just not enough challenging games in the league for them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

It is understood O’Shaughnessy could cost in the region of around £500,000, with his contract at HJK set to expire next December.

There would also be no issues with the new Brexit regulations on foreign transfers as a result of the defender possessing both a Finnish and Irish passport.

The HJK star left his current club as a youngster for French outfit Metz in 2012 before he arrived in England to join Brentford’s academy two years later.

The versatile defender, who can also play at left-back, spent two years with the Bees, which included a spell at FC Midtjylland, before he left for Cheltenham Town on a free transfer.

O’Shaughnessy made 49 appearances for the Robins, 37 of which came in League Two, before he returned to HJK on a free in January 2018.

2 minutes ago, The Chief said:

So are Ireland not in the EU then? T

Yep, I was just wondering this myself.

Apparently his father's from Galway and although I'm not entirely sure quite how the new rules will work, it doesn't sound like he'd just automatically qualify by virtue of having an Irish passport.

As a Finnish international that would count in his favour, mind, but since Finland doesn't have such a highly rated domestic league it may still not be enough.

Anyway, whatever, we need forwards.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

QPR, Sheffield Wednesday, Preston North End and Barnsley are all plotting raids to sign HJK Helsinki defender Daniel O’Shaughnessy in January, Football Insider understands.

The 26-year-old Finland international has been a standout performer for both club and country in 2020 and has caught the eye of several scouts from the English Championship.

His uncle Brendan is a fantastic painter too 

26 minutes ago, cowl said:

Yep, I was just wondering this myself.

Apparently his father's from Galway and although I'm not entirely sure quite how the new rules will work, it doesn't sound like he'd just automatically qualify by virtue of having an Irish passport.

As a Finnish international that would count in his favour, mind, but since Finland doesn't have such a highly rated domestic league it may still not be enough.

Anyway, whatever, we need forwards.

Irish nationals have the right to work in the UK as part of the Common Travel Area, hence the difficultly in respecting this as well as Brexit and any trade border, put it in NI and break this (and the Good Friday Agreement) or put it in the Irish Sea and split NI from the rest of the UK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, FinnishOwl said:

There are some quite unknown Finns who can surprise though, Marcus Forss is a good recent example. I would have liked to see him on loan for us this season but he fought his way to the first team at Brentford and just signed a very long new contract.

That would have been a tough choice. Us or Brentford 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, FinnishOwl said:

There are some quite unknown Finns who can surprise though, Marcus Forss is a good recent example. I would have liked to see him on loan for us this season but he fought his way to the first team at Brentford and just signed a very long new contract.

Remember Billy the Fish he knew a couple of unknown Finns lol 

1 hour ago, nickywire said:

Irish nationals have the right to work in the UK as part of the Common Travel Area, hence the difficultly in respecting this as well as Brexit and any trade border, put it in NI and break this (and the Good Friday Agreement) or put it in the Irish Sea and split NI from the rest of the UK

Thanks, didn't know that