Jump to content

Did our problems start two years ago on this day??


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

E314A51B-A83C-4971-A226-C3065FEC00BD.jpeg

NO,  they started  when Carlavhal played layers who were not fit enough, Hooper, Lees, etc and the debacle that was  the Huddersfield play off game's. Having spent more money than any other manager in the history of the club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Our problems started as soon as we got relegated from the EPL (could argue before that).

 

That led to debt and unsustainability, or a level of sustainability below ourselves (IMO).

 

That led to Wednesday fa s giving up their shares so a foreign billionaire could take us on.

 

That led to a foreign millionaire without a clue taking us over.

 

That led to the greatest amount of incompetence this club has ever seen and all sorts of bad decisions.

 

 

 

 

 

It was the share structure that held this club back for years. No one put a penny into it and the directors treated it as an exclusive members only club taking out more than they put in and were virtually unaccountable to the thousands of small shareholders. Not until Dave Richards put a couple of million into the club...and that was far too little far too late, was any investment made. We'd relied heavily on gate money to fund us and as that became less and less important after the birth of the PL we eventually became impoverished.

 

If it wasn't for Milan Mandaric our club would now be in the history books, and if it wasn't for Chansiri we'd in the fourth tier now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

More likely 3 years ago after the Huddersfield semis when we should have sacked Carlos.

Was going to say exactly the same

 

Kept hold of him passed his sell by date, sack him then, get the right manager in with the summer to look at what was needed

 

Didn't happen, and when he did go we have has a succession, apart from Bruce, of poor managers, will leave the decision on Pulis for now 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Jos had not gone 2 years ago we would have been relegated that season, we would never have seen Fletcher, Forestieri, Hutch, Westwood or any of the senior players again.

 

We would not have signed Dom Iorfa as he was a Bruce signing or Borner another Bruce Signing arguably our most consistent players over the last 2 season.

 

And under his astute leadership we probably would now be a conference team looking forward to the derby against Chesterfield still paying £35 a team to watch us getting beaten with a team of kids each week.

 

So no Jos the dross was an awful manager with little or no clue about English football.

 

The biggest mistake make under DC tenure was in his first season, he should have kept Gray and given him the tools to build a sustainable football club.

 

The last 5 years under Gray we now would be top 6, if not a Premier League team, we would have a youth set up producing good young players that are coached and manged well. We would have a good mix of youth and experience, but also be able to sign players when needed, or sell asset for the good of the club that then allowed investment in not just the team but the club.

 

Also you would not be paying £35-40 a game to watch the football on offer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the problems started or have very much relation to a manager or the players. The fall of this football club is solely down to the awful club ownership. 

 

Stupid ticket prices, 5 year season tickets, refunding season tickets, ridiculous surveys, changing the club badge and stripes, fake taxi companies, dodgey stadium sales, magic elephants, constant hiring, firing and resigning of board members... and so on. 

 

This has been staring up on the face for years 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

problems started when chansiri dropped his committee who signed bannan ,wallace,hunt,pudil joao,hooper forestieri . to go with the players we already had , westwood lees loovens hutchinson lee etc . if we got in the right man in 2015 someone like bruce,eddie howe etc and took the right approach by signing younger players and players with a sell on value then the problems of the past 4 years and probably  the next few wouldn`t be happening 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

Could go back to when fatty Dave Richards got his childish revenge and sacked Big Ron. That then lead to Jasper Carrott getting the job and he took over a great team on the up but couldn’t improve us or keep us near the top.

 

27 minutes ago, Dunkstar said:

I think you're getting your history a bit mixed up there.

 

25 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

 

You're doing it wrong.

 

24 minutes ago, sage owl said:

If your jasper carrot is who I think he is your history is out of sync as well as your facts.

 

24 minutes ago, Dunkstar said:

STOP GETTING WEDNESDAY WRONG!!!!

Apologies all. I was so keen to have a pop at Richards as well as Francis that I got it all messed up.

😊

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem started when Dave Richards put his own ambition before the club. We were at a stage where we could have got to have been a very 

 

big club in the top flight for decades. DR sold our future for his own gain.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Is Jos had not gone 2 years ago we would have been relegated that season, we would never have seen Fletcher, Forestieri, Hutch, Westwood or any of the senior players again.

 

We would not have signed Dom Iorfa as he was a Bruce signing or Borner another Bruce Signing arguably our most consistent players over the last 2 season.

 

And under his astute leadership we probably would now be a conference team looking forward to the derby against Chesterfield still paying £35 a team to watch us getting beaten with a team of kids each week.

 

So no Jos the dross was an awful manager with little or no clue about English football.

 

The biggest mistake make under DC tenure was in his first season, he should have kept Gray and given him the tools to build a sustainable football club.

 

The last 5 years under Gray we now would be top 6, if not a Premier League team, we would have a youth set up producing good young players that are coached and manged well. We would have a good mix of youth and experience, but also be able to sign players when needed, or sell asset for the good of the club that then allowed investment in not just the team but the club.

 

Also you would not be paying £35-40 a game to watch the football on offer.

I may be wrong here, but I thought Gray was offered the job but decided he wanted to go back to London for personal reasons?.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The signing of Van Aken was a pivotal moment.  Up to that point, we had a fantastic defence under Gray and Carlos led by Lees and Loovens,  but it was clear Loovens was slowing down.  A new, good quality centre back was vital and we absolutely ballsed it up.  

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

I may be wrong here, but I thought Gray was offered the job but decided he wanted to go back to London for personal reasons?.

If DC did then he didn't mention it to the BBC when he sacked Gray

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33104297

 

In other article - But a source revealed: “Stuart going was always going to happen sooner or later. The fact is the new owners want a bigger and more glamorous name as manager because they believe that’s the way to bring in the fans and boost attendances.

 

“Stuart has done nothing wrong, and the stats show he’s done a good job at Hillsborough. It’s such a shame, but the bottom line is that he’s simply not high-profile enough for the powers that be at Wednesday.”

 

We then brought in a manager no one had ever heard, of who ultimately achieved nothing and help with the chairman's mismanagement to set the club back further than it has ever been in my 40 years + of watching the team, both off and on the pitch and of course we are also for the first time, no longer owners of Hillsborough but tenants.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

The signing of Van Aken was a pivotal moment.  Up to that point, we had a fantastic defence under Gray and Carlos led by Lees and Loovens,  but it was clear Loovens was slowing down.  A new, good quality centre back was vital and we absolutely ballsed it up.  

 

 

 

Indeed we could have got Sasso or Venancio for a fraction of what we paid for JVA, or even looked to the German leagues for a player such as Borner.

 

Our recruitment was woeful, sorry I correct myself our recruitment is woeful (nothing seems to have changed on that front). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problems started imho when he wielded the axe and started binning off what he'd put in place with Aldridge at the time. Getting into bed with Doyen, taking advice from certain individuals and essentially being duped. Not many of us cared though, he was spending and we thought we were in dream land, we were on a spending spree like a kid in a toy shop. 

When folk started coming & going, some began to smell a rat, but often covered up by the spending and the football we were playing under Carlos. That for me is when I began to think something isn't quite right.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...