Ex Players thread like Stevie May - Definitely nothing to do with Sheffield Wednesday any more

Otley Owl

My last thread about ex Sheffield Wednesday players got moved to the main page, where we discuss current Sheffield Wednesday players.

It led to this conversation:

Hi Hotten Owl,

This is a friendly message to let you know that your topic Ex Wednesday players thread - how are they getting on has been moved to the correct section.

Where: Sheffield Wednesday Matchday (forums)
When: 02/12/20 18:17

Thank You Owlstalk Admin Team
Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans

Hotten Owl  602

Replied: December 2

Fair enough, apologies - I thought it was better in the forum I posted it in - less chance of getting lost, particularly as it was aimed at players that left a while ago rather than recent departures? No worries either way!

Hotten Owl  602

Replied: December 3

Any chance it could be moved back? It's dropped off, and it's a thread about ex-wednesday players. 

Hotten Owl  602

Replied: December 5

Hello? 

Hello? 

Is that Owlstalk customer service? 

Hello?

Anyone there?

HELLO?

Hotten Owl  602

Replied: Monday at 21:38

Tried humour. Tried asking. Really don't get why a thread about ex-wednesday players was moved to the current Wednesday forum. 

I know it's not a big thing in the scheme of things, but it's really annoying me - any chance of the decency of a reply?

If not I'm going to do that Shawshank Redemption thing of getting in touch with you once a week. Maybe twice. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't get a reply, so eff it. I see Stevie May bagged a penalty today. Any other updates on Chris Stringer appreciated.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Maghoma never really got going for us, went on to have a very decent spell with Birmingham though, hadn't realised he'd gone to the Indian Super League. 

Richard Wood was / is a decent player. Strange that he left. 

Hope Kieran Lee goes on to do well at Bolton, cracking player and will always remember him for playing on during Covid, risking injury and his future football career for the sake of Wednesday. Top player and professional. 

• Like 4

On 20/12/2020 at 09:46, Ellis Rimmer said:

Was thinking about Richard wood yesterday. He's played at more or less the same level as us through his career so if he stayed he would be a bit of a club legend by now. What a div.

I think Richard Wood left because he fell out over Brian Laws over the club captaincy and then a bid from Coventry unsettled him.
Like Beevers they have both been decent but not outstanding Championship players.

Edited by matthefish2002

49 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think Richard Wood left because he fell out over Brian Laws over the club captaincy and then a bid from Coventry unsettled him.
Like Beevers they have both been decent but not outstanding Championship players.

Yeh I think he thought at the time that he was going on to better things. It's a shame really nice to have those home-grown players

• Like 2

On 19/12/2020 at 13:08, Hotten Owl said:

My last thread about ex Sheffield Wednesday players got moved to the main page, where we discuss current Sheffield Wednesday players.

It led to this conversation:

Hi Hotten Owl,

This is a friendly message to let you know that your topic Ex Wednesday players thread - how are they getting on has been moved to the correct section.

Where: Sheffield Wednesday Matchday (forums)
When: 02/12/20 18:17

Thank You Owlstalk Admin Team
Owlstalk | Sheffield Wednesday News for SWFC fans

Hotten Owl  602

Replied: December 2

Fair enough, apologies - I thought it was better in the forum I posted it in - less chance of getting lost, particularly as it was aimed at players that left a while ago rather than recent departures? No worries either way!

Hotten Owl  602

Replied: December 3

Any chance it could be moved back? It's dropped off, and it's a thread about ex-wednesday players. 

Hotten Owl  602

Replied: December 5

Hello? 

Hello? 

Is that Owlstalk customer service? 

Hello?

Anyone there?

HELLO?

Hotten Owl  602

Replied: Monday at 21:38

Tried humour. Tried asking. Really don't get why a thread about ex-wednesday players was moved to the current Wednesday forum. 

I know it's not a big thing in the scheme of things, but it's really annoying me - any chance of the decency of a reply?

If not I'm going to do that Shawshank Redemption thing of getting in touch with you once a week. Maybe twice. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't get a reply, so eff it. I see Stevie May bagged a penalty today. Any other updates on Chris Stringer appreciated.

No one ever gets a response from the Admin team. They send you a notification of what they are doing and that is the end of the matter. I've tried to liaise with them in an effort to better understand some of the decisions they take but to no avail, not exactly conducive to good customer relations

• Like 2

On 20/12/2020 at 12:23, Hotten Owl said:

Hope Kieran Lee goes on to do well at Bolton, cracking player and will always remember him for playing on during Covid, risking injury and his future football career for the sake of Wednesday. Top player and professional. 

I hadn't realised Lee was at Bolton until this comment.

Looks like he's on trial there, but surely they'll snap him up if he's fit and ready to play?

I know injuries have dampened his talents a bit, but there can't be too many midfielders with his ability plying their trade in League Two?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hotten Owl said:

John Brayford just did something for Burton. 'That name rings a bell. Was he on loan with us?' I wondered, as I went into my mind palace.

Quick google and, oh, how could I have forgotten the world's greatest right back, or left back, or whatever he was.

He wasn’t just any right back.

• Haha 2

On 21/12/2020 at 12:22, matthefish2002 said:

That's as I remember it

• Like 1

On 20/12/2020 at 09:46, Ellis Rimmer said:

Was thinking about Richard wood yesterday. He's played at more or less the same level as us through his career so if he stayed he would be a bit of a club legend by now. What a div.

I'm not sure he'd have reached legendary status, Liam Palmer has been with us for years now and will probably stay for a while yet, but does anybody really think of him as a "legend"? 

18 hours ago, torryowl said:

oh no he didnt .......

It's a shame for Kirby, I'm sure there's more to come from him at Harrogate and perhaps higher up the pyramid -  but imagine what it must be like for non-league players whose entire records of goals, assists, clean sheets and whatever else for last season no longer officially exist according to the record books.

Chris Lines has signed for Northampton, now 35. Always liked him as a player. Bang average, but a tidy footballer. 

Rolando Aarons has signed for Huddersfield. Had loans at Wycombe and Motherwell since his loan with us. 

Rory McArdle missed a sitter today, good lad. Had a cracking time of it at Bradford City by the sounds, only made the one appearance for us.

McArdle signed for Bradford City on 6 June 2012, signing a two-year contract.[5][6] He made his debut on 11 August in a 1–0 win in the League Cup against Notts County.[7] He made his league debut a week later against Gillingham.[8] He made his home debut on 21 August, in a 1–0 win against Fleetwood Town.[9] He scored his first goal for the club on 25 August in a 5–1 win against AFC Wimbledon.[10] On 8 January, McArdle scored a header against Premier League side Aston Villa in the first leg of the semi-final of the League Cup, as Bradford incredibly won 3–1.[11] He also played in the second leg, which saw Bradford advance to the final 4–3 on aggregate.[12] He started in the final which Bradford lost to Premier League side Swansea City.[13] He scored his second league goal for the club on 1 April, helping Bradford to a 3–1 away to Torquay United.[14] He then scored in the 2013 Football League Two play-off Final, which Bradford won 3–0 against Northampton Town securing promotion to League One.[15] On 3 August, the opening day of the season, McArdle scored a late header from a Raffaele De Vita corner to give Bradford a point in a 2–2 draw against Bristol City.[16]

He was Bradford City's 2014–15 Player of the Year.

Pretty sure he played for Bradford in the 4-2 Chelsea FA Cup game too.