Are Xbox Series X owners feeling deflated already?

@owlstalk

2 hours ago, rikowl said:

I think Quick Resume is the best feature across either of the new consoles having 4 or 5 games essentially in a pause state really feels like a game changer and combined with GamePass it makes it possible to have a big RPG, a quick blast game like FIFA or Rocket League and an indie pallet cleanser or two on the go all at once. I know loading time are better across the board which is great but taking some of the repetitive admin out of launching each game really makes a difference.

Ssd is so fast though it hardly feels a burden loading a game, especially digital ones

• Like 1

They seem to have fixed the video clip issues.  which is good.  Maybe being in Alpha skip ahead helps.

Had some weird issues with controller or wireless headset dropping connection when fully powered which needed a reset but its very rare now.

OLED TV now got an update too to fix HDR issues.   

Gamepass/PS store not sure it bothers me.  Theres 100s of games, honestly dont want to play them all so makes no odds to me.

I hear the download process on PS is a pain.

On 20/12/2020 at 14:35, Wath-owl said:

There are more PS4 games on PS Now than Xbox One games on Gamepass.

Plenty of recent titles too.

I'm not arguing that Gamepass is better value due to getting EA Access thrown in, as well as first party games launching on there, but PS Now deserves more recognition than it gets. At £50rrp for 12 months it is also a ridiculously good value that most PlayStation gamers should be getting in on. Criminally underrated service in my opinion.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/gaming/playstation-now-1213666/review A great, long and fair review of it from 16th of September. I didn't know it had improved, when I get a PS5 I'll probably subscribe for a year. The the PS3 and 2 games will be great as I've got the consoles and some games, but cba with getting them ready/setting them up and switching between them. Also with Covid I won't be going to CeX for the old games.

"The trouble with "lessons from history" is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins."   

"Girls are simply wonderful. Just to stand on a corner and watch them go past is delightful. They don't walk. At least not what we do when we walk. I don't know how to describe it, but it's much more complex and utterly delightful. They don't move just their feet; everything moves and in different directions . . . and all of it graceful."  Starship Troopers, Amen!        

On 10/02/2021 at 11:09, Incognito Owl said:

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/gaming/playstation-now-1213666/review A great, long and fair review of it from 16th of September. I didn't know it had improved, when I get a PS5 I'll probably subscribe for a year. The the PS3 and 2 games will be great as I've got the consoles and some games, but cba with getting them ready/setting them up and switching between them. Also with Covid I won't be going to CeX for the old games.

I've had a proper look my self now and I say it's on par with Xbox's Game Pass, with both having different advantages and disadvantages. PS Now has about an equal amount of PS3/4 games and only a few PS2 games sadly. I would say it needs more PS2 games, some more PS3 games and some more/bigger PS4 games. You could have the older games PS4 versions like GTA III, VC and SA etc. too. Also more exclusives, series and full series as some games are missing. I also don't know why games like Mafia II is still on when you can get the recently released Mafia: Definitive Edition. It's good you can download PS2/4 games and get trophies for some PS2 though. It's 39.99 for a year on CDKeys: https://www.cdkeys.com/playstation-network-psn/playstation-now 10 Pound cheaper from the retail price. I'll probably get the 7 day free trial and buy 3 months or a year when I get a PS5.

"The trouble with "lessons from history" is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins."   

"Girls are simply wonderful. Just to stand on a corner and watch them go past is delightful. They don't walk. At least not what we do when we walk. I don't know how to describe it, but it's much more complex and utterly delightful. They don't move just their feet; everything moves and in different directions . . . and all of it graceful."  Starship Troopers, Amen!        

14 minutes ago, lee81 said:

I've got both and gamepass murders ps now.

Xbox Gamepass with quick resume is by far the best feature of next gen gaming.

Ah thanks, I'm just going from the Xbox One version haha.

On 18/01/2021 at 16:32, darklord said:

Ssd is so fast though it hardly feels a burden loading a game, especially digital ones

It's not so much the loading times as the forced repetition. Fifa always asks for the language, shows two or three splash screens, some news and then you can pick the game mode - with quick resume you come back and could be in the same game you were playing two weeks ago having completed two or three other games in the meantime. Take Miles Morales for example I have to watch the Marvel intro and the subway car bit before I can choose my game mode, it would be fantastic if I could go play something else and immediately get back to swinging through New York. I acknowledged that load times are better and that's great but these little repetitions do make a difference especially with something like GamePass where you are encouraged to dip into lots of games.

• Like 2

On 13/02/2021 at 11:49, lee81 said:

I've got both and gamepass murders ps now.

Xbox Gamepass with quick resume is by far the best feature of next gen gaming.

Having recently bought Ultimate/gamepass again I would now say it's better than ps now, it's got more recent quality titles too. I just whish it still had Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Red Dead Redemption II haha.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lee81 said:

Lovely little bonus this to go along with all the Bethesda games recently added to game pass.

Yeah I've downloaded the original Doom to try.

Guest timrud
Just now, @owlstalk said:

I had one in my shopping basket today but didn't buy it

You can see when they[re in stock here - https://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-xbox-series-x

Thanks thats really helpful!

I had all this stress trying to get a graphics card recently, if its going to be another slog I might just wait.

15 minutes ago, timrud said:

Thanks thats really helpful!

I had all this stress trying to get a graphics card recently, if its going to be another slog I might just wait.

The Xbox Series X has popped up about three times this week so far so I'm expecting there to be loads more

Game are offering them for sale from this Thursday if you preorder them

Amazon are expecting a massive shipment too

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

Don’t post as much in this section anymore as my tastes and interests have changed a lot for games now. That said, I’ve still ended up with both the new consoles after getting a PS5 at launch and an Xbox last week.

I definitely find the Series X hardware more impressive. It’s smaller than you’d think - really compact unit actually. It’s also whisper quiet. Easily the quietest console I’ve ever owned (including the PS5). The boot speeds are crazy as well. If I switch the Xbox on before the TV, then it’s already on and sat waiting for me before I can even grab the TV remote. Quick Resume is fantastic as well. I only ever keep a small number of games installed at a time, and having the system be able to switch between them in seconds, and pick up exactly where I left off, is extremely cool.

I’ve enjoyed a couple of the PS5 exclusives so far, and obviously there is a more immediate pipeline of more on the way than there is on Xbox, but I’m significantly more impressed with the Series X as a console right now. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

Don’t post as much in this section anymore as my tastes and interests have changed a lot for games now. That said, I’ve still ended up with both the new consoles after getting a PS5 at launch and an Xbox last week.

I definitely find the Series X hardware more impressive. It’s smaller than you’d think - really compact unit actually. It’s also whisper quiet. Easily the quietest console I’ve ever owned (including the PS5). The boot speeds are crazy as well. If I switch the Xbox on before the TV, then it’s already on and sat waiting for me before I can even grab the TV remote. Quick Resume is fantastic as well. I only ever keep a small number of games installed at a time, and having the system be able to switch between them in seconds, and pick up exactly where I left off, is extremely cool.

I’ve enjoyed a couple of the PS5 exclusives so far, and obviously there is a more immediate pipeline of more on the way than there is on Xbox, but I’m significantly more impressed with the Series X as a console right now. 

I miss your posts in here mate. Hope all is well with you and yours. 

This section is quiet compared to how it used to be so it’s nice to see some of the old regulars. 

I’ve been tempted a few times recently for a Series X but we’re looking to buy a nicer house so can’t really justify it right now. 

Actually fired my Xbox One up the other week and got a month of Gamepass Ultimate, had a go on some PC games through it too. What a fantastic service that is. Gamepass/EA/Bethesda could be killer for Microsoft if they handle it correctly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks mate, same to you and yours. All good here cheers.

GamePass is cool. I’m in a weird spot where it’s too great a value to ignore, but the majority of games on it aren’t really for me. Still, 90% of the time these days I’m playing the same things, so for the 10% of time I want to check out something new, it’s great to have a look and give something a go. Getting the exclusives is good value too. Flight Sim, Forza Horizon 5 and Halo are actually 3 of the games that fit into my increasingly narrow tastes, so that’s a cost saving over the year for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1