Mirror Exclusive: SWFC players fuming over not being paid in full

Guest Andy W

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

When they step over the line they are playing for the fans, give it 100% or go on strike.

They are playing for as much money as they can in a short career. I don’t quite understand why fans still fall for the badge kissing stuff. It’s very naive. 

• Like 5

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Naive maybe but in effect they are "throwing games"  cheating not only the club but the fans.

It’s a really close competitive league. We are playing against teams and players desperate to win. We’ve got a squad not getting paid, told they aren’t good enough and looking to move on. In a world of marginal gains, these are big issues. 

• Like 3

Just now, Mollymae's Dad said:

15 years @ 10K a week = 7.8m

7.8m/45 years working life for average joe = 173K a year

Not sure what the point is. Earn 10k a week and you live a 10k a week lifestyle. When they stop playing they don’t aspire to move into a 2 bed terrace in Grenoside.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vulva said:

Not sure what the point is. Earn 10k a week and you live a 10k a week lifestyle. When they stop playing they don’t aspire to move into a 2 bed terrace in Grenoside.

what im trying to say is that I don't buy this short career = high salary nonsense 

Average joe on 25K * 45 years earns 1.125m, a billy average guy on 10k a week earns 7.8m over 15

they can feck reet off for me...the lot of em

7k a month, my heart bleeds, they'll have to struggle like the rest of us....who knows they might even appreciate their privileged position when we all get out of this

• Haha 1

We are very clearly in deep financial trouble if these stories are true.  The pandemic will have hit us hard.

We need to make some very difficult decisions  over the next few weeks. I would start with

1.  The offer to loan out or transfer all of Bannan, Westwood, Lees, Luongo, Rhodes, Windass  and van aken from 1 jan onwards

2.  An appeal to Pulis and his coaches to walk with minimal or no compensation, out of goodness to the club given the situation 

3.  Ask Bullen to take over as manager, and anyone local  willing to help to support with coaching ( eg waddle, megson, laws, )

4.  Immediately explore both a sale of the club and administration. If we have to take admin act this season. 

We can forget January signings, strengthening the squad, new strikers.  That is fantasy talk .  Players not being paid is always the clearest warning sign that we are out of money and out of time.  

7 minutes ago, Mollymae's Dad said:

what im trying to say is that I don't buy this short career = high salary nonsense 

Average joe on 25K * 45 years earns 1.125m, a billy average guy on 10k a week earns 7.8m over 15

they can feck reet off for me...the lot of em

7k a month, my heart bleeds, they'll have to struggle like the rest of us....who knows they might even appreciate their privileged position when we all get out of this

They retire at 35. Income will drop off a cliff. They will live to c85. They have families to support etc. Don’t lose sight of the fact they lose half in tax. I don’t feel sorry for them, and it’s a great wage. But the point I’m making is that the vast majority of them are in it for the money. As much as they can as quickly as they can. And you can’t really blame them for that. 

14 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

We are very clearly in deep financial trouble if these stories are true.  The pandemic will have hit us hard.

We need to make some very difficult decisions  over the next few weeks. I would start with

1.  The offer to loan out or transfer all of Bannan, Westwood, Lees, Luongo, Rhodes, Windass  and van aken from 1 jan onwards

2.  An appeal to Pulis and his coaches to walk with minimal or no compensation, out of goodness to the club given the situation 

3.  Ask Bullen to take over as manager, and anyone local  willing to help to support with coaching ( eg waddle, megson, laws, )

4.  Immediately explore both a sale of the club and administration. If we have to take admin act this season. 

We can forget January signings, strengthening the squad, new strikers.  That is fantasy talk .  Players not being paid is always the clearest warning sign that we are out of money and out of time.  

Hope this doesn't come across as penisey from me... but just feel like I have to remind you of this not 4 days ago:

On 14/12/2020 at 12:44, mcmigo said:

A student with much to learn.

we are in a much better position now than we were in December 2013. Then, we were totally skint, bottom of the league with one win in 18

, 6 points from safety. A couple of years later we were one game from promotion. 

relegation would only be bad for this club , and is by no means inevitable. We are 4 points from safety ffs.

Has this week really been that telling in terms of how you feel about things? 

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Hope this doesn't come across as penisey from me... but just feel like I have to remind you of this not 4 days ago:

Has this week really been that telling in terms of how you feel about things? 

Student Fowl

5 weeks ago we were so financially sound we hired one of the most expensive managers on the market and seemingly promised him a plethora of players in January - a sign the chairman was ready to spend again.

this news changes absolutely everything , of course it does. We have gone from spendageddon and squad reshaping plans with our million pound manager to being unable to pay wages.  

Guest hirstysfags
1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Naive maybe but in effect they are "throwing games"  cheating not only the club but the fans.

They aren't throwing games. They just aren't giving it their all. If you don't give 100% in your day job, it doesn't mean you are intentionally dragging your employers down. 

8 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

These are sportsmen (apparently). Pulis so far has been utterly woeful and his excuses do him no favours. 

Are you saying you can’t blame them for not trying for financial reasons ? Is that what you would do ? 

Sportsmen, OK that is their job, they are on fixed term contracts to do their job / trade. Just like industry, if your contract is not been honoured you would probably walk out or not put all your effort. If you were a self emplyed builder and half way through a project and the householder said, sorry I can't pay you, would you just carry on spend your money time on the build. Guess the answer is no. This is there job, nothing else. 

Why should we expect them to play well? They are not all  fans of the club. It's a job which is fairly short.

6 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Student Fowl

5 weeks ago we were so financially sound we hired one of the most expensive managers on the market and seemingly promised him a plethora of players in January - a sign the chairman was ready to spend again.

this news changes absolutely everything , of course it does. We have gone from spendageddon and squad reshaping plans with our million pound manager to being unable to pay wages.  

With respect, I really don't think anything has changed.

It came out a couple of weeks ago that there was some sort of "arrangement" where player's wages were paid late. This was already known.

Pulis being hired was a red herring of a signing. It was published on twitter that he has links to Paixao, which was a big reason for his coming here. And DC may have promised "Tone" money to spend... but he promised a short, medium and long-term strategy for this club and that promise got us a 12 (6) point deduction. This was already known.

Guess I'm just glad that I wasn't being completely over-the-top. It's time for forward thinking. We need to be thinking about maximising the League One squad we will be working with in 12 months time, not trying to still be in the Champ in 6 months.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

More and more stories being leaked. 

It’s clear as day that the issue isn’t Monk, isn’t Pulis. It’s the fact the players aren’t focusing on their football because they aren’t being paid properly. 

Yet again this rumour leaks. 

DC you need to address this ASAP.

The more I think about this the more angry I am about it, and it explains the collapse in form we have seen .

it is clear Monk was managing in extraordinary circumstances now, but was somehow getting the occasional result despite the chaos behind the scenes. The players not being paid isn’t just about the money, it is about the mentality it creates. It’s clear they are playing for a club that is at best a shambles but at worst is dangerously close to being bust. Add in no crowds, continued poor recruitment and you can see how players get disheartened by all it.

but we then decide, despite clearly being skint , to blow money on paying off a manager after barely a year and coaches who have been there for 11 games, and then hire one of the most expensive coaches on the market to replace him . If I am say Liam Palmer I am sitting there not being paid , no doubt being fobbed off About why stuff is late , not being paid and then we go blow all that money on changing coaches and hire a rolls Royce manager to take over.

what have we done ?

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

With respect, I really don't think anything has changed.

It came out a couple of weeks ago that there was some sort of "arrangement" where player's wages were paid late. This was already known.

Pulis being hired was a red herring of a signing. It was published on twitter that he has links to Paixao, which was a big reason for his coming here. And DC may have promised "Tone" money to spend... but he promised a short, medium and long-term strategy for this club and that promise got us a 12 (6) point deduction. This was already known.

Guess I'm just glad that I wasn't being completely over-the-top. It's time for forward thinking. We need to be thinking about maximising the League One squad we will be working with in 12 months time, not trying to still be in the Champ in 6 months.

If nothing has changed why is there this massive thread ?  It’s because the story has moved from what seemed to be bad payroll management that was seen as a bit weird by the players ,  to being totally broke and being unable to actually pay them . Chalk and cheese.

and yes , I am very much with you that if we are this skint , and can’t afford to pay the current squad , an immediate fire sale is needed in January , persuasion of the expensive manager to walk away , and we see out the season with Bullen and a skeleton squad / u23 team.

1 hour ago, vulva said:

If you earn 10K per week and are living a 10K per week lifestyle then you are a ********.

Earn 10K per week and live a 2K a week lifestyle, put 8K away and buy a property every three months.

Keep it going for a few years and you will have a property portfolio that will pay you 2K per week for the rest of your life.

Nobody who has played professional football in the top 2 tiers for 7-10 years of their careers should ever need to "work" again.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

Maybe seems a lot to most people, but if you have liabilities such as mortgages then it can be a problem.

One of our better players lives around 8 doors away from me and if he’s getting anywhere near £7k a week there is no way he will be struggling with mortgage payments!