I’ve defended Pulis to the hilt

12 hours ago, Jim said:

I think Pulis is a good manager but as good and as experienced as he is, he just seems at a loss at what to do with this squad of players.

To have the squad we had in 15/16 to the one we have now is mind boggling. Relegation or not, we really have to rip it up and start again. Whether Pulis wants to do this at this stage of his managerial career is anyone’s guess? 

The problem is he's like a broken old record he's stuck in the same groove and can't deviate from how he sets his team up to play. We Havnt the players to accommodate his brand of football. Yet he's incapable of trying something different that may suit the sqaud better. 

4 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

The problem is he's like a broken old record he's stuck in the same groove and can't deviate from how he sets his team up to play. We Havnt the players to accommodate his brand of football. Yet he's incapable of trying something different that may suit the sqaud better. 

The thing for me is this

Pulis has a style. A theory and a way of playing 

That's fine - every manager should have this 

BUT

What has Tony Pulis seen in the last five years about his style that screams to him that it's such a definite success?

What's he seen to suggest that it's the only way he should play?

Surely if someone does have one style and one style only and they stick to it no matter what, surely to god it would be a style that wins games and not one that doesnt?

lol

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

This is the thing. If he is backed in January I think he will get us moving up the league. But I think he’s in for a huge shock if he thinks DC will chuck money at it. The same bloke who isn’t paying players properly and the same bloke who can’t refund season tickets on time. 

Pulis is incredibly stubborn and will stick with the same formation and players. But unfortunately he hasn’t got the players to do it as is showing.

He needs to start showing some flexibility and give us a chance to win games because what he’s trying to achieve is not possible with this group. 

• Like 2

last night despite having no-one from forest in front of them for 20 yards our defence in possession seemed to be dropping a brick. The TV did not assist this view because you often could not see further up field to see who was available, and it went from side to side or back to Wildsmith. Players further up must have been hiding or stood still.

the club's choice is back Pulis in January or welly him.

I believe the players don't want him, they're hiding and can play better.

I think the players would be better with another manager, who ought to have some dealings in January. if we get rid of a lot of players in the next six months there's no telling where new ones will sign from. let's not pretend that if we do SELL someone we can get better ones in - when did this last happen?

I say welly Pulis.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The thing for me is this

Pulis has a style. A theory and a way of playing 

That's fine - every manager should have this 

BUT

What has Tony Pulis seen in the last five years about his style that screams to him that it's such a definite success?

What's he seen to suggest that it's the only way he should play?

Surely if someone does have one style and one style only and they stick to it no matter what, surely to god it would be a style that wins games and not one that doesnt?

lol

What I find bizarre is some of our fans moaning about Pulis 's style of play, when he has done this all his career. It's not a shock, his football is Horrendous. 

What I will add is this.

Up to the Norwich game despite not getting a win I thought we were playing some decent stuff. I thought the players were starting to buy into it. We could have beat Norwich by 2 or 3 if Harris stayed on his feet and Pelupessy didn’t hit it straight at the keeper  from 6 yards out. 

Then that’s been followed by Huddersfield, Barnsley and Forest. What has happened? It is eerily similar to the run we saw under Monk losing to Rotherham, Luton, Wycombe. It is eerily similar to the run last Christmas after going third and beating Bristol to losing three in a row against Stoke, Hull and Cardiff. And then again 1 month later. Beating Leeds away from home and then getting thumped 5-0 at home to Blackburn and losing 2-1 to bottom of the table Wigan. 

The players completely down tools and chuck the towel in EVERY TIME. I’ve highlighted it on 4 separate occasions in the past year. I don’t think it’s normal and suggests to me something happens behind the scenes which influences performances. 

There is so much more to it than the manager I’m convinced by it. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

What I find bizarre is some of our fans moaning about Pulis 's style of play, when he has done this all his career. It's not a shock, his football is Horrendous. 

100%

And it doesn’t matter how many time you remind them either they just don’t believe you

Owlstalk Shop

Irvine won his first 4/5 games in a row, and still ended up relegated.

This January will be one of the most important transfer windows in our recent history, glad we have a chairman with such a good record with them.. but in all seriousness that’s when Pulis has to start earning his coin. 

Just now, pussface said:

Irvine won his first 4/5 games in a row, and still ended up relegated.

This January will be one of the most important transfer windows in our recent history, glad we have a chairman with such a good record with them.. but in all seriousness that’s when Pulis has to start earning his coin. 

Good post 

His job here is to manage the players in the squad though and get the very best out of them

If he can’t do that why would anyone on this planet say ‘have some MORE players you can’t coach, manage or motivate’ and spend millions of pounds giving it to him?

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Good post 

His job here is to manage the players in the squad though and get the very best out of them

If he can’t do that why would anyone on this planet say ‘have some MORE players you can’t coach, manage or motivate’ and spend millions of pounds giving it to him?

Well yes but he’s got a ton of excuses left at the moment. The squad is in a right state (and has been since just before Carlos left). 

Once he’s allowed to bring some players in (loans I guess) it will take the excuses away. Here’s a squad of players, use them.

If no improvement after that, then we may as well Chuck him and bring someone in to prepare for life in League one.

I still have a nagging feeling he will end up walking if he doesn’t get the players he wants. He has his legacy to think of...

Just now, pussface said:

Well yes but he’s got a ton of excuses left at the moment. The squad is in a right state (and has been since just before Carlos left). 

It is but he can’t use that excuse as the previous manager was doing way way way better with it (and he was RUBBISH!)

Owlstalk Shop

Lets not be too hasty in condemning Pulis. Afterall the man has a medical condition called Crouch Syndrome.

He's experienced delight and success by playing a 6 foot 7 inch giant as a target man,  the addict will try and repeat

this situation over and over again even if the forward concerned is nowhere near the optimum height.

There are two solutions:

1 ) Get a new manager who can actually work with the available rubbish we have.....or.....

2) Get scouting for another giant of similar proportions.

P.S.  ........anyone have connections with the Basketball World ?

1 minute ago, pussface said:

Once he’s allowed to bring some players in (loans I guess) it will take the excuses away. Here’s a squad of players, use them.

If no improvement after that, then we may as well Chuck him and bring someone in to prepare for life in League one.

I still have a nagging feeling he will end up walking if he doesn’t get the players he wants. He has his legacy to think of...

Or replace him now and give ourselves a chance of not ending up in league 1...just a thought. 

3 minutes ago, striker said:

Or replace him now and give ourselves a chance of not ending up in league 1...just a thought. 

loads of us (myself included) were saying this when Monk was in charge...

I dread to think who our joker chairman would appoint next.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pussface said:

loads of us (myself included) were saying this when Monk was in charge...

I dread to think who our joker chairman would appoint next.

It's a fair point (so was I). I think we all know Chansiri is the problem, but Pulis just compounding things. 

A properly run football club wouldn't let this continue, in fact a properly run football club wouldn't have appointed him in the first place. Shame, we aren't properly run. 

• Like 2

Just now, striker said:

It's a fair point (so was I). I think we all know Chansiri is the problem, but Pulis just compounding things. 

A properly run football club wouldn't let this continue, in fact a properly run football club wouldn't have appointed him in the first place. Shame, we aren't properly run. 

I genuinely fear he will be the death of this football club. Seriously.

• Like 1

Players these days wield the power.

Manager wants you to do something you don't like?

Simply go through the motions on the park until he gets the boot.

Simple.

Keep doing it until you get a manager you like.

He might be no better than the previous one.

But as long as you are having fun. That's the main thing.

Edited by Lord Snooty

10 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Players these days wield the power.

Manager wants you to do something you don't like?

Simply go through the motions on the park until he gets the boot.

Simple. 

100%

I've never once in all my years of watching this club said that the players were simply playing to get a manager sacked

This time tho....

Owlstalk Shop