I’ve defended Pulis to the hilt

Pulis has been here a month. It’s going to take a lot longer than a month to turn this around for anyone. Regardless of tactics, these players aren’t good enough. We have one or two decent individuals, but as a team they’re completely lack lustre. Having said that, the issue is deeper than the players and the manager.  Chansiri backed Monk with players and staff, and then sacked him 3 months later.  Now he’s brought in a totally different type of manager who’s style does not suit these players.  No strategy.

• Like 2

Pulis is a disaster. Summer signings were a disaster. 

Need new owners new squad new manager..... that's the reality 

Chansiri sadly isn't up to it 

Pulis tactics are sending us down before Christmas. When EVER has a manager took over a team struggling to score and focus on defending playing one up front! 

Players brought in have destroyed the squad. Weaker and shows no direction or ambition..... they have one clueless manager after another..... right now they are giving up.......

• Like 2

I’ll admit I was a Pulis backer; I thought he would bring a simple, effective style (if sometimes not overly pleasing on the eye) where we play players in their correct positions and give ourselves a chance to compete and pick up points this season. However, all we seem to have done is continue exactly what Monk was doing which has been an abject failure for almost a full calendar year; 3 at the back and a lone striker simply does not work for us.

We don’t even seem to play much of the expected “Pulisball;” we play way too deep to even have a target at the top end of the pitch to knock it long to.The game-plan currently seems to be pass it around the back 5 for a bit before we eventually lose possession or we knock it out for a throw-in in our own half. The players we have are limited and Pulis needs reinforcements in Jan but this formation clearly does not suit what we currently have.

The performance at Cardiff where we played Rhodes and Windass as a strike partnership and occasionally reverted to a back four is arguably our best performance this season and suggests that we can get results by moving away from the current formation and system. Really starting to feel like now or never to change things up and give us the slightest chance of staying up; carry on like this and we may as well pack up now. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Pulis has been here a month. It’s going to take a lot longer than a month to turn this around for anyone. Regardless of tactics, these players aren’t good enough. We have one or two decent individuals, but as a team they’re completely lack lustre. 

That's all fair enough

But he didn't have to get us to the playoffs

He could have come in, not changed anything and sat eating sausage rolls all day and watching Loose Women with "Westy" and we'd still have done much much MUCH better than we are after his 'dabbling'

Owlstalk Shop

There's no coherent plan, no long-term thinking. 

Chansiri has basically appointed five managers with completely different ways of playing and philosophy. 

No wonder we consistently end up looking like a disjointed mess with players who have zero idea what they're doing. 

We've now got Pulis, who (so far) has shown himself to be as much of a dinosaur as many feared. 

The whole club is a shambles and I dread to think what may happen long-term. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I have no sympathy for Pulis.  I can't imagine he would have taken the job if he thought the team were as bad as he's making them out to be now, regardless of whatever he's being paid. 

They were on the back of a decent 4 points, two clean sheets, and were lifted by having the deduction halved when he came in.  It was all set up for him to capitalise on that.  Of course it was going to be a bumpy road and there were tough games on the horizon when he was appointed, but there's no amount of scapegoating he can do to justify no wins and 3 points from 24.

• Like 1

Just now, Brian said:

I have no sympathy for Pulis.  I can't imagine he would have taken the job if he thought the team were as bad as he's making them out to be now, regardless of whatever he's being paid. 

They were on the back of a decent 4 points, two clean sheets, and were lifted by having the deduction halved when he came in.  It was all set up for him to capitalise on that.  Of course it was going to be a bumpy road and there were tough games on the horizon when he was appointed, but there's no amount of scapegoating he can do to justify no wins and 3 points from 24.

Very true. 

Yes, it was some shaky foundations, but Jesus Christ you could at least expect a bit of an upturn, right? Even the most inept of managers usually string a few positive results together when they get in. 

Pulis has actually made thing worse. That is some achievement. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’m convinced there is something in this pay situation. The Jekyll and hyde performances are unbelievable. We played well against Norwich but chucked the towel in these past three games. 

There’s more to it in my mind I’m absolutely sure of it. 

But has this payment issue been ongoing? If so surely they would have known during the Norwich game anyway 

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

But has this payment issue been ongoing? If so surely they would have known during the Norwich game anyway 

The payment thing has been supposedly going on for four months...so why half decent displays against Cardiff, Birmingham, Bournemouth etc? 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

The payment thing has been supposedly going on for four months...so why half decent displays against Cardiff, Birmingham, Bournemouth etc? 

And last season too mate - remember the 'leak' last time and everyone was trying to guess which player it was and most people said Sam Hutchinson?

lol

this isn't the first time 

Owlstalk Shop

I’m hopeful of a Kenny Jackett situation at Rotherham. He went in thinking he could save them from relegation, after three games he realised they were down and he left to save his CV. I’m hopeful Pulis will do the same. 

4 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

But can’t defend him anymore.

How is he carrying on with just one upfront again.

Awful awful awful. And if he thinks the chairman will back him adequately in January I think he’ll be very surprised.

This is the worst Wednesday side I’ve ever seen.

I agree with you but at the same time there is not a single manager out there that can affect a sea change on our performances and spirit.

Everything points to Dejphon Chansiri, the Grinch that stole Wednesday

27 minutes ago, MarkS43Owl said:

I’m hopeful of a Kenny Jackett situation at Rotherham. He went in thinking he could save them from relegation, after three games he realised they were down and he left to save his CV. I’m hopeful Pulis will do the same. 

Pulis doesn’t need it on his cv

He won’t even try for another club

He will go back to tv 

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Pulis doesn’t need it on his cv

He won’t even try for another club

He will go back to tv 

‘no relegation’ certainly sounds better than ‘relegating Sheffield Wednesday’ no matter what he does.

I’m convinced he won’t relegate us purely because he’ll walk beforehand! 

4 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Same under Monk. Beat Birmingham, played alright against Brentford despite losing and then three awful awful performances against Rovrum, Luton and Wycombe.

Something doesn’t add up for me 

Common denominator is whichever 11 are on the pitch  , and whether the mardy sods decide to turn up or not ,