Gerard Houllier

SiJ

Reports he has passed away.

A pretty underrated manager in Liverpool's history.

Was the first manager since the PL started to get them actually winning trophies on a semi regular basis and actually challenging to some extent.

Was Liverpool manager when I first got into football, so always been something nostalgic about him for me. Vividly remember when he had his heart attack and Phil Thompson taking over for the season whilst he recovered. 

Always came across a very dignified and articulate guy.

Condolences to his family.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HighworthOwl said:

Never liked Liverpool but I always like Houllier. Never knew the link to us until recently. Thought he carried himself well and had a sense of humour. 

He actually agreed to come and agreed 99% off the contract.
Think the sticking point was a get out clause that he wanted something like a full years pay if the move didn't work in the first season.

Houllier also got a quite a bit of credit or the groundwork for France winning the World Cup in 1998 as he was the previous manager.
He also called David Ginola a criminal for losing the ball in a vital World Cup qualifier that led to a late goal.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

He actually agreed to come and agreed 99% off the contract.
Think the sticking point was a get out clause that he wanted something like a full years pay if the move didn't work in the first season.

Houllier also got a quite a bit of credit or the groundwork for France winning the World Cup in 1998 as he was the previous manager.
He also called David Ginola a criminal for losing the ball in a vital World Cup qualifier that led to a late goal.

I remember reading that in France he was vilified for there failure to qualify in 1994 along with Ginola. They then rethought his involvement following the foundations he laid for 1998. 

First non-Wednesday football shirt I owned was a France shirt from when he was manager. God knows where and why my dad got it but I loved that shirt. 

• Like 1

Dave Richards wouldnt give him a payment clause in his contract if he got sacked, he insisted he should have it as insurance, Dave Richards got Danny Wilson from Barnsley instead, Wednesday fell apart and got relegated (so far) never to return.

We've made so many bad decisions.

Houllier was always thought of as a top bloke so it is pretty sad he has passed. RIP.

• Like 4