Chris Waddle

Guest Grandad

10 hours ago, FinnishOwl said:

Chris Waddle turning 60 makes me feel really old. I was such a young lad when I watched him play.. I wish I still had that VHS tape where I had recorded the only Wednesday game that I recall seeing on the TV here (1-1 vs Utd).  Waddle didn't do much in that one but still.

It’s a top drawer finish, from a top drawer striker 😀

played against him twice ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

wish i hadn't  lol 

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

He'd definitely walk into our team

Knowing our manager it'd be at centre half though

*disclaimer - this is a JOKE*

I actually played against him in a charity match when he played centre half for 15 minutes. 

He made that look easy as well. 

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

He'd definitely walk into our team

Knowing our manager it'd be at centre half though

*disclaimer - this is a JOKE*

Well he can't bloody well run anymore (sadly)!

8 hours ago, james o connor said:

As a child I loved watching waddle , Hirst, then carbone etc etc. Imagine kids these days having to endure ‘heroes’ such as Callum Patterson and Kareem Harris . Jeez 

But at least they can watch replays of them on a nice big screen. Oh, wait. Do they only show replays for goals?

:Chansiri:

Thought it was a bit of a gamble bringing him to the club at 32 (was it??) but what a gamble it turned out to be, injured in his first match on the slippery turf at Goodison but when he came back he came back with a bang, the full season he played and won player of the year was the best season from an individual Owls player I've seen or will see again, sublime.

Guest Therealrealist
11 hours ago, james o connor said:

As a child I loved watching waddle , Hirst, then carbone etc etc. Imagine kids these days having to endure ‘heroes’ such as Callum Patterson and Kareem Harris . Jeez 

They won’t endure them tho..goin to be a big problem in a few years...they’d rather play Fifa ..I’ve got 2 teenagers and I watch every game on tv at the moment...and most of the time neither of them are bothered..

7 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

They won’t endure them tho..goin to be a big problem in a few years...they’d rather play Fifa ..I’ve got 2 teenagers and I watch every game on tv at the moment...and most of the time neither of them are bothered..

True . To be honest in today’s Rubbish world and today’s rubbish Wednesday , as a kid now , I’d probably be a Man Utd / Liverpool glory supporter . I really don’t know whats worse ! 

7 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Yep. Just can’t get my lad into watching Wednesday, or football on general. He plays, but even his interest in that seems to be dropping.

Coincidentally, I recall Waddle saying that too few aspiring players watch matches nowadays, and that it’s an important way of learning that they’re missing out on. I know the pork academy insist their youngsters watch certain games and feedback on aspects of them.

Funny (and sad) to watch those highlights. How many times in our current games the ball would have been passed back to defence or just hoofed away. Waddle made things look so very easy there. No need to do any of that Cristiano Ronaldo thing weaving your feet over the ball all the time, just some small clever trick and a second later, the fullback is already a meter behind you. And Palmer fighting for the ball and not giving it up..

Palmer did score a true box to box midfielder goal in that Utd game I mentioned. Ran into the box from midfield to head the ball into the net.

Edited by FinnishOwl