6 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Is 60 today

I'd still give him a game

He'd definitely walk into our team

Knowing our manager it'd be at centre half though

*disclaimer - this is a JOKE*

• Haha 7

Owlstalk Shop

Chris Waddle turning 60 makes me feel really old. I was such a young lad when I watched him play.. I wish I still had that VHS tape where I had recorded the only Wednesday game that I recall seeing on the TV here (1-1 vs Utd).  Waddle didn't do much in that one but still.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Grandad
22 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He'd definitely walk into our team. Knowing our manager it'd be at centre half though

*disclaimer - this is a JOKE*

Is it though?

Waddle is pretty much the reason I fell in love with football.

I'd been to games before his arrival at Hillsborough, but I was more impressed by the stadium and the noise of the fans than anything that was happening on the pitch, to be honest. I suppose that's the way of things when you're six years old.

Then Waddle arrived in all his shimmying, shirt-out, nonchalant glory, and I was hooked.

I'd love to see a player even half as talented as he was play for Wednesday again.

Waddle.png.3533d7adb1061d1edf24e7377a93fcb1.png

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Like 4
  • Love 4

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Waddle is pretty much the reason I fell in love with football.

I'd been to games before his arrival at Hillsborough, but I was more impressed by the stadium and the noise of the fans than anything that was happening on the pitch, to be honest. I suppose that's the way of things when you're six years old.

Then Waddle arrived in all his shimmying, shirt-out, socks down, nonchalant glory, and I was hooked.

I'd love to see a player even half as talented as he was play for Wednesday again.

Pity the youngster's watching us now, No way will they fall in love with the Patterson's et al we have turning out for us. The brand of non-excitement served up in the recent years will have had them reaching for their iPhones every game. Waddle was a class above when he graced our turf, I doubt he will be matched in my lifetime again.

• Like 4

Guest Grandad

Waddle, Nilsson, Sheridan and Hirst.

All in the same team.

We will never see so many players of that quality in the blue and white again

17 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Waddle, Nilsson, Sheridan and Hirst.

All in the same team.

We will never see so many players of that quality in the blue and white again

Morning .This squad for the match v Chelsea on Feb 9th 1994 of the F.A.Cup 4th Round replay says it all.

IMG_20201214_090023 (174x400).jpg

5 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

Morning .This squad for the match v Chelsea on Feb 9th 1994 of the F.A.Cup 4th Round replay says it all.

What was the starting 11?

Woods

Nilsson

Walker

Pearson 

Worthington

Waddle

Palmer

Sheridan

Sinton

Hirst

Bright

Apart from Sinton that's a legendary team.

• Like 2

Just a fantastic footballer. 
For me the best player to play for Wednesday.

Most teams stuck two men on him and it still wasn't enough to stop him. 
The only player who could launch a pinpoint cross field ball with exactly the right amount of backspin to stop at the players feet. 
Must have been fantastic to play with him in the side. 
Couldn’t take a pen mind. I guess no ones perfect.

53 minutes ago, trev said:

What was the starting 11?

Woods

Nilsson

Walker

Pearson 

Worthington

Waddle

Palmer

Sheridan

Sinton

Hirst

Bright

Apart from Sinton that's a legendary team.

Sinton was a good footballer but just didn’t bring his best game with him. 
The team overall was fantastic and when on song could be unplayable.

Interestingly I think most of those players would still make the grade in the modern Premier League.
Sheridan could be marked out of a game but imagine having Palmer running box to box and wining endless tackles next to you?

Bright was a bit underrated for me. Very effective player and would be fantastic in our current side. 
Seeing that side makes me happy that at least I saw them but sad that my kids will never see anything that good!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, REDOWL said:

And the things the team has mainly British players, a strong experienced spine to the team, pace in the full backs and creativity in midfield as well as creating chance they would also contribute goals and of course 2 strikers up front to put those chances away and a first team squad of 22 - how where they able to play 50 games a season on pitches a lot worse than now and not pick up the injuries our team does now. Are modern players just soft or are modern football not trained correctly - who knows.

Its not rocket science this football thing but god do some make it complicated.

For me Chrissy Waddle was along with Sheridan possible the most gifted player I saw in an Owls shirt, yet Di Canio was good but he was gone after only a short time. Waddle could be a player without moving. For me I will still remember the 5-0 against West Ham when David Burrows must have been on suicide watch after that 90 minutes Waddle completely destroyed him as a football for 90 minutes. He never recovered he signed for us later on in his career. lol

39 minutes ago, room0035 said:

And the things the team has mainly British players, a strong experienced spine to the team, pace in the full backs and creativity in midfield as well as creating chance they would also contribute goals and of course 2 strikers up front to put those chances away and a first team squad of 22 - how where they able to play 50 games a season on pitches a lot worse than now and not pick up the injuries our team does now. Are modern players just soft or are modern football not trained correctly - who knows.

Its not rocket science this football thing but god do some make it complicated.

For me Chrissy Waddle was along with Sheridan possible the most gifted player I saw in an Owls shirt, yet Di Canio was good but he was gone after only a short time. Waddle could be a player without moving. For me I will still remember the 5-0 against West Ham when David Burrows must have been on suicide watch after that 90 minutes Waddle completely destroyed him as a football for 90 minutes. He never recovered he signed for us later on in his career. lol

This report of the West Ham game from A View From The East Bank fanzine issue 14 January 1994.

IMG_20201214_114745 (556x800).jpg

IMG_20201214_114708 (452x800).jpg

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

This report of the West Ham game from A View From The East Bank fanzine issue 14 January 1994.

The last lines with crippling injuries lost just 1 of the last 15 games.

The excuse of the club over the last 3 or 4 season has been injuries yet the good team from the 90's with only 22 first team players managed to lose just once in 15 games. We on the other hand know will be lucky to win once in 15 games.

9 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

Takes me back to simpler times. When you could buy scarves and pin badges outside the ground, people were optimistic, players were ‘men’ and the cups meant something. 

• Like 2