Wickham

Guest Grandad

Wickham’s whole career is like a cautionary tale. 
Considered ‘too good’ for the championship so stuck on the bench for year after year caus he’s not quite good enough for prem. 

A big lad like Connor needs game time to stay in shape. He’s always injured because he’s never playing. He’s never playing because he’s always injured. 
Terrible waste really. 
Could have scored hat fulls if he’d stayed in the Championship. 
I wouldn’t bother this time around as he’s not going to be good enough to keep us up and he isn’t one for the future. Better to gamble on a League One player or overseas unknown for me. 
If he does show up here good luck to him and he will still be an upgrade on what’s here. 

If we can't sign players that have a track record of being fit then we're as good as relegated. It doesn't matter how good they've been or could be still.

We have to sign players that can hit the ground running. They don't have to be the best in the division or even close. Average would probably be fine actually. Just players (forwards) that allow us to be a more-or-less functional unit.

And it really is as simple as that.

Just now, cowl said:

If we can't sign players that have a track record of being fit then we're as good as relegated. It doesn't matter how good they've been or could be still.

We have to sign players that can hit the ground running. They don't have to be the best in the division or even close. Average would probably be fine actually. Just players (forwards) that allow us to be a more-or-less functional unit.

And it really is as simple as that.

The problem is  (And for once it's not caused by anything at SWFC) loan players are never fit, most of the time they don't care, and they rarely ever perform

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

The problem is  (And for once it's not caused by anything at SWFC) loan players are never fit, most of the time they don't care, and they rarely ever perform

That's not true though. Other teams do manage to sign players that come in and do the business for them. It's just that we only ever seem to manage it 20% of the time. They usually look like they are good players, but they just can't maintain their fitness.

I don't think it's the case that we've generally signed players loan that don't care either. The last one (or the last one that sticks out in memory) was Bothroyd, and that was 8 years ago now.

1 minute ago, cowl said:

That's not true though. Other teams do manage to sign players that come in and do the business for them. It's just that we only ever seem to manage it 20% of the time. They usually look like they are good players, but they just can't maintain their fitness.

I don't think it's the case that we've generally signed players loan that don't care either. The last one (or the last one that sticks out in memory) was Bothroyd, and that was 8 years ago now.

I think you're assessing our previous loanees with very blue and white tinted specs

I wish I had a definitive list of the loanees we've had in the last 5 years so we could take a look and see

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, Grandad said:

He was predicted to be out for 3 months with a pulled muscle in early October

Alan Nixon was asked about him and said its ongoing problem, persistent injury. Have you ever known anyone out 3 months with pulled muscle its usually 2 -3 weeks. Can not risk it in our situation.

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think you're assessing our previous loanees with very blue and white tinted specs

I wish I had a definitive list of the loanees we've had in the last 5 years so we could take a look and see

It's unlikely I would ever make that mistake.

But this has nothing to do with whether bias exists or not as you're talking about something which some fans are always so quick to accuse players of whenever they don't play well or the team loses anyway; that is, that they're not putting effort in.

The problem with so many of the players we've loaned is that they've been unfit or not conditioned when they came in.