January window - How many signings

1 hour ago, Royal_D said:

That lad Hooijdonk is a target 

If we are looking at him i wonder if we are also looking at Omarsson 

Plays in same division for Excelsior , Icelandic forward who's top scorer (17 goals in 16 appearances )he's 25 and would be available for around about the same money 

1 minute ago, westy365owl said:

Plays in same division for Excelsior , Icelandic forward who's top scorer (17 goals in 16 appearances )he's 25 and would be available for around about the same money 

Customary highlight video of this season 

• Haha 1

On 15/12/2020 at 00:30, davey_wells said:

I'd throw some money at Peterborough for Clarke-Harris.

He's bang in form, just the kind of physical, quick raw striker we've been missing since Fletcher, if not before him. 

As well as him, still would like us to go in for Keinan Davis at Villa. Not getting games, very much due a loan. Very good target/hold up man that we're sorely missing. Will be encouraged to score more. 

Could we even see Glenn Murray here? Getting on a bit... but knows Pulis very well. Scores goals.

I can see him going in for Besic and Bolasie - albeit Boro are after Bolasie too.

Tom Ince, anyone?  I think Stoke will be happy to sell, player might fancy working with Pulis again (rated him highly at Palace) as he's not getting much love at Stoke but clearly has ability.

It's the strong, experienced midfielder we're lacking - someone to just dictate play and control the midfield. He's without a club, but I'm thinking someone like Tom Huddlestone. 

Peterborough would want too much money for JCH, if we wanted him we could’ve had him in the summer for free. Typically!

The likes of Piggot who have their contracts running down might be a decent shout and useful if we go down too

• Like 1

7 hours ago, westy365owl said:

van Hoojidonk is out of contract next month is he not ?

Guest wilyfox
2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

JCH, if we wanted him we could’ve had him in the summer for free. Typically!

Pboro paid a lot for him. Certainly wasn’t free. More than Paterson & Windass combined.

If it’s only to be two in, boy do they need to be outstanding. We’ve missed opportunities, and wasted time, by not replacing Marriott with a free agent. Would not Kazim-Richards, or Whatmore have been more than useful to us during this period? So having decided to wait, we now need the signings to be, worth waiting for. 

Guest wilyfox
11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If it’s only to be two in, boy do they need to be outstanding. We’ve missed opportunities, and wasted time, by not replacing Marriott with a free agent. Would not Kazim-Richards, or Whatmore have been more than useful to us during this period? So having decided to wait, we now need the signings to be, worth waiting for. 

Watmore is an interesting one. Hasn’t signed an extension yet has he? We’d probably snap him in half though.

1 minute ago, beswetherick said:

I think we can send Marriott back in January. I wonder if Izzy Brown might go back to Chelsea as well, I was looking forward to seeing what he could do here but he’s been disappointing so far

Yes I’d be surprised if Brown and Marriott don’t have their loans cancelled in January.   

Pulis needs to bring in his own players and if he does that then we have a better chance of staying up 

• Like 2

There are some nuances here. We need to take away as well.

Westwood is going to be picked every game he is fit, Wildsmith his understudy. Westwood demonstrated his capability to manage the defence yesterday, yet has also been prone to a mistake. Wildsmith is a brilliant shot stopper, but doesn’t command his box. This position need addressing in the summer.

it would seem Penney isn’t going to get a game and VA is not a left back. We need a proper left sided full back in January. Strong in defence, but able to attack. Irish, would be the mould in this position. 

With the Iorfa injury, we have 3 first choice centre backs, Lees, Borner, Dunks. VA and Palmer as understudy’s. I think Pulis would like to have Flint in the team, completing the picture here.

Oddjob and Palmer for right back, this position needs serious work in the summer. If a good rb was available, I wouldn’t hesitate to sign one.

DM - Luongo, Joey, Shaw. We are covered. Hunt needs a 6 month loan.

AM - Bannan, Reach, Harris. Brown isn’t getting a game. I think we need 2 or 3 signings here in January, I doubt we would likely get more than one. Whether they are wingers or another Bannan to make the slide rule passes, creativity is our problem. If Brown isn’t going to be given a game, send him back. The elephant in the room is the unsigned contracts. If this isn’t resolved in January, fizz me we need 4 signings here, which just isn’t going to happen.

Striker - Rhodes, Windass, Paterson, Kachunga. What can we say. Rhodes and Kachunga are not fancied - move both on in January. Paterson is definitely not a striker, he has looked most effective as an attacking bulldozer, as opposed to a silky skilled attacking midfielder. That said, while his legs and strength add value in defence, he adds so little to ‘creating’ chances. David Platt was one of the worst footballers I’ve ever seen, but you could put your house on 12+ goals a season. If we do create more, he has the legs and strength to get on the end of things, but we need regular goals to warrant a place in the team. Windass has shown he can play as a mobile striker for me, so we need TWO proper centre forwards. Toney is the championship benchmark, two of him please. Get your cheque book out, they could cost as much as Rhodes. Is that likely to happen? If it doesn’t, we are unlikely to stay in this division.

• Like 1