January window - How many signings

Zero

Cut our losses. Write this season off. Sell anyone we can get cash for. Play as many of the youngsters as we can and think might be able to play in a matchday 18 next season in League One... use this half a season to get them match experience. 

Save as much cash and build the best foundations we can to have a stable season next season in League One. No point throwing money at bad.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Guest Mcguigan
51 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Its going to take 5 or10 years for the club to recover from the damage done so far. Dont even think we can spend in the window as i bet we are embargo'd again. Who knows without the accounts though. League one definitely next season.

I amazed the amount of posters who seem to be blinkered to this or see it but won’t believe it.

Without the 18/19 accounts we can’t officially submit our results for the three year rolling period ending 18/19 or a forecast for the season ending 19/20 three year period.

Without it the EFL won’t be sanctioning any signings in January and our soft sanctions will continue.

DC seems determined to keep poking them with a stick and refuse to tow the line where other clubs are.

If the accounts aren’t visible to the EFL shortly, this thread will be a very short one.

At a minimum I’d like to see:

Keeper

Left back

Holding midfielder (preferably a big, strong lad)

Target man

I’d be tempted to let both Marriott and Brown return to their parent clubs if possible. I just can’t see the latter getting into a Pulis team. Marriott just looks too similar in style to Windass and Kachunga. 

1 LBs 

2 Strikers (pace and power ideally)

2 Wingers (need pace)

The issue for me is who will want to join a team rock bottom and playing awful/no football! Money is going to have to talk! 

And then the timing in January is critical- needs to be the first week the players come in not on deadline day as it’ll be near enough too late. 

As always, we find ourselves needing short term measures, so we will get low cost sticking plasters In truth, there is no point in attempting anything else

Our best hope is that any incomings are targeted, and are the type of players we need 

Often it’s been a case of us needing to address a couple of positions, and we end up bringing half a dozen players, none of which address the positions we need

I’m not at all hopeful about this window given our situation, no money, marooned at the foot of the table, and a manager who plays the sort of football that no self respecting big club would want their players playing

28 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

I amazed the amount of posters who seem to be blinkered to this or see it but won’t believe it.

Without the 18/19 accounts we can’t officially submit our results for the three year rolling period ending 18/19 or a forecast for the season ending 19/20 three year period.

Without it the EFL won’t be sanctioning any signings in January and our soft sanctions will continue.

DC seems determined to keep poking them with a stick and refuse to tow the line where other clubs are.

If the accounts aren’t visible to the EFL shortly, this thread will be a very short one.

Lots of blinkers on here mate to a lot of things. Amazing really.

2 minutes ago, Worksop Wednesday said:

does anyone else see a scenario where Pulis walks when it becomes clear he ain't gonna get the backing he needs ?

he aint gonna have a relegation on his CV and he aint gonna manage in L1 again 

Might be a good excuse I suppose Truth is, he’s failing in what he was brought in to do

What ever positions we need, we'll have to double up on them (i.e have young/loan backup who doesn't mind being on the bench while they develop). Without getting backups to main purchases, should they get injured or suspended, we're back to square one and no more transfer windows to rectify it.

I would probably say 6 new signings. 4 main and 2 younger backups.

You can't get too many new players as they'll take too long to settle in and gel together. There's not enough games left for them to do this IMO.

I see Lazaar is set to leave Newcastle this January.

He's the sort of player I'd love us to sign, but you'd be very wary of his injury record.

In the few games he played when Bruce brought him in, I thought he showed glimpses of been the best left back we'd have had at the club since we left the Premier League. 

Quick, strong, athletic. Loved a tackle. Brilliant delivery on him, and loved to put defenders on the back foot.

I suspect he'll go back to Italy, but I've no doubt if we did sign him, he'd pull his hamstring within the first 15 minutes of his debut and wouldn't see him again all season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevie snerklebox said:

Would tend to agree with your appraisal here but my worry is the chairman. I don't think he will back TP in the market to bring in the level of quality that'll be needed to rejuvenate this squad.

The quality we NEED won’t be available to us. We aren’t shopping in that market.

When are we going to realise the status of Sheffield Wednesday, to the rest of the football world has never been lower, and is still sinking.

We are nobody’s to anyone but ourselves.