Neither Monk Nor Pulis Are The Real Problem

The problem comes with whoever is recruiting the players, they are to blame. DC decided who they are based on some ones advice. That's two sources that have landed the Owls right in it. DC will loose millions when we are relegated and then no doubt they will just walk away from the club leaving DC and the club in a right mess. (Well a bigger mess than now)

I would give Pulis the power to sign the players he has identified, its the only way forward whether its too late or not we will see. 

For many years we always struggled before Christmas and came good after, lets hope he can get the players in quick and get the results otherwise we are DOOMED !!!!!

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I have the gut feeling (nothing more) that Pulis will be given almost as much power as Steve Bruce in terms of signings

I also believe that Jos, Monk etc were not allowed such luxuries

Chansiri would have had to promise the earth to land Bruce and Pulis and that would have included a decent transfer budget and a say on transfers.

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Pulis, no matter what we might feel about his methods, is an experienced manager

Well he can't be that experienced, he ought to have known not to come.

Besides, he should have known there will be a job at 't lane in a couple of weeks.

😷

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Monk, despite what some on here seem to believe, had done decent to good jobs at Swansea, Leeds and Birmingham, with only Middlesbrough being an arguable underachievement on his CV before he struggled here.

Pulis, no matter what we might feel about his methods, is an experienced manager with a track record of getting results at many different clubs. Yet he rocks up here and we can't buy a win.

I don't believe either are bad managers. Their careers before taking the Hillsborough hot-seat should be enough to tell us that they know how to manage football teams provided the context in which they're working is reasonable.

We can argue the tøss about lineups, formations, substitutions, demeanour in interviews, choice of headwear etc... until the end of time if we like, but the issues at our club are much bigger than the man who happens to be in the dugout at any given time, I'm afraid.

All they're doing is shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic whilst the man who slammed us into an iceberg and left us with this understrength, unbalanced squad and seemingly little chance to improve it, looks on from afar with no clear plan as to how to avoid the inevitable.

Years of mismanagement, lack of direction, incoherent planning, and sheer ineptitude have led us to this.

And that's down to Chansiri.

Agree! Chansiri is bordering on foolish right now. Get your head out the sand and get some help!!! 

Has anyone taken over a club, invested £350m over 5 years (TP interview) and ended up in the 3rd tier? 

unbeliebavle

14 hours ago, Django said:

Monk was an absolute disaster for this club, the damage he’s done will take some fixing 

The squad that he inherited and the one he left for Pulis is embarrassing 

That's down to the chairman first and foremost, isn't it?

Remember when Monk was saying things like this?

“We’re trying everything, but we haven’t got the luxury of before which is understandable so we have to cut our cloth accordingly and work in the market we can work in.

I don’t think it’s a situation where we’re able to do what’s been done in the past but I’m sure, as the chairman has always done, if he feels he can support us then he will do.

As a manager, you want as much quality as you can but that can be expensive at times so we’re just going to work in a way that fits in with the club and where we’re at.”

Cost-cutting was our main priority in the summer, thanks to the ridiculous circumstances created for us by Chansiri's prior actions.

I'm sure Monk would have loved to sign better players than we were able to attract, but we were starting the season on minus twelve and seemingly in no position to spend more than £500k on a player. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, northeastowl said:

Everything is Chansiri’s fault as he makes the decisions, however anyone sticking up for Pulis needs their bumps feeling. 

This!! 

I keep reading how we don’t have the players, but our squad must earn double what some of the squads around us earn. Our players are not this bad, but if you’re playing 5 cb’s vs Barnsley no wonder you don’t have much attacking threat. 

• Like 1

I don’t agree with P&S and I think it’s a joke.

But DCs handling of it has had us in huge trouble since we lost to Huddersfield. There needed to be action then, maybe the stadium sale ready to go. A few player sales and a general plan B.

But it has just seemed reactionary and down one blind alley after another since that point. 

Spending 1/3 billion and earning a relegation. Only a fool manages that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Currently, we are a League One club in the Championship whose owner thinks it is in the Premier League.

The Chairman said very clearly in his last press interview thing that 'we're not as big as we think we are'

Then also said in the same interview that Garry Monk should get us promoted after getting a 12 point deduction

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Bulgaria
17 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Or is he an experienced manager who's desperately trying to get a tune out of a squad the likes of which he's probably not encountered in many a year?

This is what baffles me... The squad is capable of getting results, beat Cardiff, Bournemouth and should have got something from Norwich, that's 3 teams who are at the top end of the league.

So unless it's something that's going on in the background ( late payments) then our performances IMO are down to one man and his dumbass tactics.

17 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Monk, despite what some on here seem to believe, had done decent to good jobs at Swansea, Leeds and Birmingham, with only Middlesbrough being an arguable underachievement on his CV before he struggled here.

Pulis, no matter what we might feel about his methods, is an experienced manager with a track record of getting results at many different clubs. Yet he rocks up here and we can't buy a win.

I don't believe either are bad managers. Their careers before taking the Hillsborough hot-seat should be enough to tell us that they know how to manage football teams provided the context in which they're working is reasonable.

We can argue the tøss about lineups, formations, substitutions, demeanour in interviews, choice of headwear etc... until the end of time if we like, but the issues at our club are much bigger than the man who happens to be in the dugout at any given time, I'm afraid.

All they're doing is shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic whilst the man who slammed us into an iceberg and left us with this understrength, unbalanced squad and seemingly little chance to improve it, looks on from afar with no clear plan as to how to avoid the inevitable.

Years of mismanagement, lack of direction, incoherent planning, and sheer ineptitude have led us to this.

And that's down to Chansiri.

This has been going on since 1996/7 season after season, after season.

Not just the last 6 seasons

11 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

This is what baffles me... The squad is capable of getting results, beat Cardiff, Bournemouth and should have got something from Norwich, that's 3 teams who are at the top end of the league.

So unless it's something that's going on in the background ( late payments) then our performances IMO are down to one man and his dumbass tactics.

You've said the squad is capable of getting results and then listed a game in which we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory as evidence.

:duntmatter:

I know what you mean, though - we've shown that we can compete with decent teams on occasion. The issue is that these occasions are too few and far between to give ourselves a realistic chances of staying up with a points deduction.

We simply don't have a squad capable of competing across a long, hard Championship season because the players were assembled with no coherent plan or system in place.

In defence, we have some decent centre-backs, but some suit a two whilst others suit a three. We have Palmer and Odubajo as right-backs, and no recognised left-back to speak of...so van Aken gets a game there because he's left-footed.

Bannan remains our most naturally talented midfielder, but he no longer has the teammates around him to help him excel as we had in Carvalhal's first couple of seasons, so he struggles to impose himself on the game quite often these days. Luongo is our best defensive midfielder, but as soon as he's injured, we have to turn to Pelupessy, who offers only a fraction of his skillset. Brown is a good player, but I'm not sure where he fits alongside the others.

Out wide (assuming we're playing with wide midfielders again now), we have Reach, who's been shifted all over the pitch in recent years and has suffered as a result, and Harris, who offers pace and commitment, but no real quality. If either of them are out, then we have to move a full-back forwards or give Kachunga a run out on the flank.

Up front, we appear to need a target-man, but only have Paterson who fits the mould, and even then it's a pretty loose fit - he has some attributes, but he's no Fletcher with his back to goal, is he? Beyond that, we have Windass, who seems more of a natural attacking midfielder / number 10, and Rhodes, who looks like he belongs in another team entirely much of the time, but we have to ask him to run around and close down opposition defenders as there's nobody else to throw on up there.

In a nutshell: we have a Frankenstein's monster of a squad, made up of the dying embers of a once-strong team and topped up with cheap signings and loan players, none of whom seem to fit into a coherent whole.

How some of our fans ever thought we might be challenging for the top six this season, I have no idea!

• Thanks 2

Agree but also disagree to an extent 

We have a rubbish squad, but a manager of Pulis’ supposed background should be getting more out of them. We’ve actually become worse which I didn’t think was possible

Bruce didn’t have any issues with a similar group. 

I think what we’re actually seeing is why Monk & Pulis ended up at Wednesday in the first place, and didn’t already have a job or were rumoured to be going anywhere 

Because they’re not very good 

29 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

We’ve gone from 3rd in the league last Christmas. To bottom of the league in the space of a year. 

To me that suggests there is something wrong behind the scenes. That is one almighty collapse. Something has happened in my opinion, a decline like that is not normal regardless of who the manager is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We’ve gone from 3rd in the league last Christmas. To bottom of the league in the space of a year. 

To me that suggests there is something wrong behind the scenes. That is one almighty collapse. Something has happened in my opinion, a decline like that is not normal regardless of who the manager is.

but with different players

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Isolating Westwood, Hutchinson and the injury to fletcher was huge. We have now lost the services of Jacob Murphy who was also decent and can’t count on decent players in Lee and Dave. Look at those against the crap that has been brought in.

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not really. 

Only players missing from the current first team when we were third are Fletcher and Fox. Are you really telling me these two players were completely responsible for our collapse? I don’t believe that. Good players but replaceable.