Wednesday - V - Barnsley OMDT

Will tomorrow ....  

275 members have voted

1. 1. ....be TP's first win

• YES
    • No
  2. 2. Does TP look like a man finding out things he didn't know before

• YES- He looks shocked
    • No- I'm sure he was aware what he was coming into.

9 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Hello chums!

Are you all over Tuesday evening? 

tenor.gif.32312e40a62a4b14ead891bddef49f73.gif

What a performance.  Not a performance as in good performance. No, no, more "What a performance!" like Nanny would say when you wouldn't put your Paige's outfit and sailor hat on for a family photo and instead sat limp in the corner. A dead weight as she dragged you by the ankle to the wardrobe. 

We are a team as one valued expert opined at the start of the season that "Can't afford anyone to have a bad game" 

Well we were royally scuppered against Huddersfield because it became evident after 5 minutes that not one was going to have a good game. 

There was so much wrong that you didn't know where to start when evaluating it. Really, you couldn't, and if you did randomly start somewhere and then carried on plowing through all that was wrong;well, you'd still be here now and probably still no nearer the end of an inexplicable list of almost everything that can be wrong with a football team performance. 

image.png.2a37a455aa4ee8d21733661e5a173bc2.png

Indeed the award of the Owlstalk man of the match award to the much maligned Pelupessy probably sums up the performances of the others. 

Of course the manager has to take responsibility, he picks the side and lays down the tactics.  We knew that away from home he'd have us sat back and hoping to stretch in behind them on the counter trying to use the running power of Reach, the willingness of Windass and the pace of Harris.  However, to do that you actually have to win possession of the ball and that can only happen if you win a tackle, and that can only happen if you attempt to make a tackle, and that can only happen if you get near the opposition, and that can only happen if you make some effort to get near to him...

"Sir"

image.png.45005c15e56ae6a1df55478e70770a8d.png

"What is it, I'm trying to do the prologue"

"Mr Hargreaves has been on the telephone"

"Oh?"

"He says 'Can you tone it down on the brutal realism, people come here for a lighthearted take on the weeks proceedings"

"Lighthearted?!What's lighthearted about making a bang average Huddersfield look like a possession-hogging Gaurdiola era Barcelona?!  Did you watch it ,Stubbs?"

"I didn't, Sir. I'm an entirely fictional character"

"Oh. Well. It was rubbish. Anyway, that's a bit rich from El-Capitan isn't it , the old be positive thing."

"The owner has been very positive of late."

"He has? I thought he was taking the michael in those threads!?"

"Sir,if there are no positives from the Huddersfield debacle,  perhaps if you were to focus on the other positives about the club."

"What other positives?"

"I don't know, Sir. Maybe something just ...not football related."

"Fine, pass me me the newspaper. Right, lets see what have we got..."Pulis on transfers" Right. Yes, this looks more promising. People love nothing more than a bit of transfer gossip to get the old juices flowing. Right,  lets see what he's saying 'Tony Pulis....blah blah....Right here we are  '..that's for me to talk to about with the Chairman and the powers that be'. The Powers that be?! The powers that be?! Who the bloody hell are 'the powers that be'. I don't like that at all, Stubbs. What else does he say here...'I will speak my mind. I am not one of those people who won’t say what he thinks. I will say what I think and we will sit down and discuss it. Well, that sounds like trouble brewing already doesn't it Stubbs. That sounds like trouble brewing."

"Sir, this is negative speculation, positive stuff remember"

"Oh yes. Right. Lets see, what else have we got here... " the people at this football club have decided that Barry, Reachy and Tom, who are all out of contract, need to have their contracts discussed..' The people at this football club?  What people at this football club? Who are these people? Shouldn't the manager be deciding which players should be at this football club?"

"Sir, please. The positive thing!"

"Oh right ,yes, hang on, Id better skip over that then. We'll be getting Hargreaves and ourselves in trouble. Right, lets see what's over the page... "A national newspaper this  week claimed  that Sheffield Wednesday's players are getting a maximum of £7,000-a-month of their salaries with the rest being sent through later to make up the totals... today Owls players refused to be drawn on the matter saying.."

"Sir!"

"Yes. Well. Enough of that. All is well on the good ship Wednesday. Onwards and upwards! Onwards and upwards! Who knows. We might have a shot  today"

tenor.gif?itemid=3576538

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEDNESDAY

V's

BARNSLEY

image.png.ff5919b2e9c541dda4d42eb0084abc2d.png

Sky Bet Championship.

Saturday 12th December 2020

kick Off 15:00pm

Hillsborough.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

WEDNESDAY

Boss Tony Pulis will have to decide whether to bring in midfield player Izzy Brown to try and add a bit more creativity to the Owls midfield. Truth be told he could probably put Stubbs, Hargreaves and myself in midfield and it couldn't look any less devoid of ideas than did on Tuesday evening.

Windass looks set to plough the lone furrow upfront once more. 

The good thing is, when done right this system can actually mean you've got three up front with Reach and Harris getting up there. 

The problem is , for that to happen you have to actually have the ball.

Paterson could be rested. The big lad has played all the games and really put himself about and was looking a bit tired. The problem is , without him our midfield doesn't really have anyone else who can put themselves about especially with Luongo proving an ideal replacement for Sam Hutchinson by appearing to fall to pieces.

WEDNESDAY possible-:

image.png.5c7a2265f0d99cb174e73c333e096da1.png

Wildsmith

Iorfa     Lees    Borner   Van Aken

Harris    Paterson      Bannan    Reach

Windass

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BARNSLEY

Valerien Ismael's men come into Saturday's clash in contrasting form, having picked up two wins in their last three outings.

Barnsley have yo-yoed between the Championship and League One in recent seasons, but their great escape in 2019-20 has given them a good platform to try and establish themselves in the second tier.

The 2-1 win over Wycombe Wanderers in midweek elevated them to 16th position in the table, a place Ismael will be looking to hang onto when they take on a Wednesday side short on confidence and form.

Welsh left-back Ben Williams and midfielder Mike-Steven Bahre are Barnsley's only absentees through injury.

Forward Cauley Woodrow will be looking to continue his rich vein of form in front of goal after scoring twice in his last three appearances.

Barnsley , likely- :

image.png.165a4bd3df8eb5f1b1ad5556e908a346.png

(3-4-3)

Walton

Sollbauer    Halme   Andersen

Brittain       James     Mowatt   Styles

Chaplin   Woodrow    Thomas

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FORM GUIDE 

Wednesday form:  L-L-W-D-L-D

Barnsley  form:  W-L-L-W-L-W

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AS IT STANDS...

image.png.d47cbb1efa77359c66acbdb31f3ce17e.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COME ON WEDNESDAY!

DO THE DINGLES

image.png.fc575629856e17eeb1c754e8e888e35a.png

Bang on the money in summing things up, love it.

Have you decided to go with my suggestion of getting our red card out of the way before kick off though? You've only selected a starting 10.

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Bang on the money in summing things up, love it.

Have you decided to go with my suggestion of getting our red card out of the way before kick off though? You've only selected a starting 10.

I put Luongo in. Then deleted him . Thought there might be a chance for Brown. 

Then I got distracted  looking at left back and starting mumbling to myself and forgot to pop a midfielder back in.

Not that it matters. In some ways we look more focused with 10 men!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I put Luongo in. Then deleted him . Thought there might be a chance for Brown. 

Then I got distracted  looking at left back and starting mumbling to myself and forgot to pop a midfielder back in.

Not that it matters. In some ways we look more focused with 10 men!

The fact you have gone for Van Aken and Iorfa in the full back positions might be a result of the Pulis approach but also shows how woefully short we are at full-back. Palmers best form in a prolonged run in the side in the last couple of years came under Bruce at left-back.  

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The fact you have gone for Van Aken and Iorfa in the full back positions might be a result of the Pulis approach but also shows how woefully short we are at full-back. Palmers best form in a prolonged run in the side in the last couple of years came under Bruce at left-back.  

I agree wholeheartedly Corky!

I liked the boy Pudil, but as early as the quarter stage of 'Year II' I think it was evident that the legs were going slightly. 

Was it Shankly or Paisley -I'm leaning towards Paisley, Shankly didn't like breaking up his teams - that said the important thing is to sign players when you are on the cusp. To not let them stale. 

I don't know. Perhaps they thought they were when they signed Fox. He'd been called up by the Daffodil botherers whilst at Charlton. Who knows...

But yes, Palmer. One of the few players, only in my opinion, who actually looks better for being played out of position. I think the unnaturalness of it makes him focus more. Suspect Bruce did too.  Certainly I think his best performances have come there. Certainly defensively anyway.  Doesn't seem to do that daydreaming trick as much. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I liked the boy Pudil, but as early as the quarter stage of 'Year II' I think it was evident that the legs were going slightly. 

Was it Shankly or Paisley -I'm leaning towards Paisley, Shankly didn't like breaking up his teams - that said the important thing is to sign players when you are on the cusp. To not let them stale. 

I don't know. Perhaps they thought they were when they signed Fox. He'd been called up by the Daffodil botherers whilst at Charlton. Who knows...

But yes, Palmer. One of the few players, only in my opinion, who actually looks better for being played out of position. I think the unnaturalness of it makes him focus more. Suspect Bruce did too.  Certainly I think his best performances have come there. Certainly defensively anyway.  Doesn't seem to do that daydreaming trick as much. 

Very good point, his mistakes often seem to come from 'switching off' rather than monumental errors in terms of technical ability.

Lets see what fun and games we get served up this time, that's more than enough from me until the afternoon, I bid you goodnight my friend. 

Well inviting the well proportioned Tay Tay to the game on Tuesday did us no good whatsoever.

Tonight or rather this morning I have resorted to recent history. In our last 23 outings against our six fingered friends we have fallen victim to their whims just twice. Irrespective of form, class or style Barnsley have done us over twice.

The law of averages says they should have turned us over 7 or 8 times in that period.

|That fact tells me there is a reason for this and it is as obvious as the nose on your face. They are scared of us. Scared of us when we were evenly matched. Scared of us when we were in the ascendency  and even scared of us when they appeared to be top dogs.

We should pin those 23 results on their dressing room wall to remind them just how scared of us they have been over the years.

NOW COME ON WEDNESDAY GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER, SCRAGG EM !

UTO & DTB WAWAW. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Palmer worries me.

Back in his ‘scapegoat ‘days , I’d regularly stick up for him but now there’s summat not right.

Dont know whether it’s carrying an injury, being played out of position or just loss of form but he’s strolling around like he doesn’t give a monkeys.

He’s developed an arrogant look that doesn’t suit him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Guest Bulgaria

I don't often bet big, but over the years I've lumped rather hefty on Wednesday to lose 3 games.

Away a brighton in the cup the other year.

At home to Bournemouth and Reading this year.

I am lumping on them to lose today.

For that reason alone, I guarantee we shall not lose!