To those who think we'll be fine this season

Because if I didn't believe we'll be ok, I may as well give up now.

We've got an experienced manager who has a history of saving teams from relegation.  We were never going to see things change dramatically overnight, but there are small signs of improvement.

If we finish 21st this season I'll be disappointed, but satisfied, the only objective is to remain in the Championship. There are 30 matches remaining this season. 4 points can be gained in 2. For this reason, I'm not panicking yet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lemi_the_owl said:

I think watching how we are playing at the moment, the signs are much better than Monk in all honesty. Players being played where they should be etc. The biggest problem we have is there is hardly any goals in the team, non of the players are taking responsibility for this and this isnt Pulis fault, Monk signed the dross forwards. So we have looked organised and even created a few chances, but we don't have the quality to finish the chances off.

One thing people forget is Pulis is experienced and has connections in the game just like Bruce did, so I'm confident of at least signing a decent loan striker in January.

One thing that did sorry me yesterday though was Pulis subs, Windass for Palmer was a shocker and that is the reason we lost that game, we invited pressure and had little outlet upfront to ease the pressure. Then add to that it didn't shore up our defence either even though we had 6 defenders on. But I suppose ATM he's working with what he's got. I think the next few games will be more telling.

The bit about us playing people in their position, in last two matches I think , we have had Harris a winger playing as a striker, van aken a centre back playing as a left back, iorfa a right back or centre back playing in midfield for the first time since he was 8 years old ,  brown a sub midfielder playing, I think , up front . Then our striker Paterson who has now been told to play in midfield.  

on the forwards, I think the chairman signed them not monk otherwise he would have taken them with him when he was sacked. The contract offer to our goal scorer , fletcher , was turned down and our bids for strikers like Taylor and zohore not good enough. And in any case, the two cheap forwards we did sign from reserve teams of a relegated and a mid table championship club both scored goals this week. 

I don’t get the stuff being posted on owlstalk at the moment , it’s like people are just posting the total opposite of the truth . 

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It is - but my point is that they're also excusing poor results in the meantime.

This not only means our win rate will need to be promotion form after January, but also puts massive pressure on this January window.

We don't know how much business we are permitted to do in January, we dont' know if any other teams will take our players off our hands, and we don't know if we'll be able to secure any new players coming in.

It's all getting a bit too dependent on January, when previously we were told that managers should be able to man-manage this squad to success

We get told quite a few things by posters on here - I wouldn't attach too much importance to that!

:duntmatter:

This season was always going to be long, hard struggle, no matter what some on here would have us believe. Talk of the playoffs after we beat Birmingham was laughable, but some didn't want to hear that.

Our squad simply isn't strong enough to expect to comfortably stay up as things stand. If we're going to do it, then January is going to have to see some significant improvements.

Whether or not that's possible within the context Chansiri has created for us, I have no idea. If not, then we'll probably be cutting it very fine at best, and that would have been the same under any manager, I suspect.

• Like 2

All this talk of signings players in January ! We could possibly play 11 more league matches till we actually get one in and then we have to hope he hits the ground running . Pulis has to start winning games with the players he’s got and then hope we can get someone in early January  to help out. Personally I think he will.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We get told quite a few things by posters on here - I wouldn't attach too much importance to that!

:duntmatter:

This season was always going to be long, hard struggle, no matter what some on here would have us believe. Talk of the playoffs after we beat Birmingham was laughable, but some didn't want to hear that.

Our squad simply isn't strong enough to expect to comfortably stay up as things stand. If we're going to do it, then January is going to have to see some significant improvements.

Whether or not that's possible within the context Chansiri has created for us, I have no idea. If not, then we'll probably be cutting it very fine at best, and that would have been the same under any manager, I suspect.

Hands up if you're looking forward to the accounts coming out just before January's transfer window

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

We've played I think 4 games away out of the last 6. We got back to Sheffield at 3 am after the Swansea game. Add to that the games we've played with 10 men for the majority of the game. Listening to Pulis yesterday pre game he said that it's been very difficult to juggle training sessions with players having downtime after games. Players must be knackered.

7 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

The cult of Pulis is strong. Never has a man recruited so many devoted followers so quickly. So many people sure he is the Saviour. 

I hope for their sake they’re right. Me. I just don’t want to be bored anymore. 

football supporters in backing their new manager shocker? Next we’ll see fans at games applauding league 1 standard players.  World has gone very mad 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, darra said:

We've played I think 4 games away out of the last 6. We got back to Sheffield at 3 am after the Swansea game. Add to that the games we've played with 10 men for the majority of the game. Listening to Pulis yesterday pre game he said that it's been very difficult to juggle training sessions with players having downtime after games. Players must be knackered.

'the teams we played were reyt hard to beat'
'our coach journey was reyt late at night'

'our games have been at other teams grounds'

'we have had players sent off'

'it's hard to juggle training sessions'

'players must be knackered'

etc etc

What next?

"The sky was too blue"
"The ball was too round"

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

etc etc

What next?

"The sky was too blue"
"The ball was too round"

It's got to be a factor

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

The bit about us playing people in their position, in last two matches I think , we have had Harris a winger playing as a striker, van aken a centre back playing as a left back, iorfa a right back or centre back playing in midfield for the first time since he was 8 years old ,  brown a sub midfielder playing, I think , up front . Then our striker Paterson who has now been told to play in midfield.  

on the forwards, I think the chairman signed them not monk otherwise he would have taken them with him when he was sacked. The contract offer to our goal scorer , fletcher , was turned down and our bids for strikers like Taylor and zohore not good enough. And in any case, the two cheap forwards we did sign from reserve teams of a relegated and a mid table championship club both scored goals this week. 

I don’t get the stuff being posted on owlstalk at the moment , it’s like people are just posting the total opposite of the truth . 

So you believe the truth to be that when a manager gets sacked he takes all the players with him that were signed under his watch and are on contracts? Give me strength. 

Every man and his dog can see Paterson is not a striker, he'll get you the odd headed goal but not enough to keep us up. The difference is Monk oversaw our recruitment and brought in these players, he had a summer to recruit for positions we needed, and didn't. He never played Reach on the wing, where have our goals come from? Reach's crosses.

I agree about Harris which is why I alluded to it in my post when I said it was a terrible decision to bring Windass off for Palmer and in turn out Harris upfront. 

I'm not a Pulis fan by any means but I can at least open my eyes enough to see what he is trying to do and give him a chance. 

Guest Hornsby

Depends on dosh in Jan.

Wickham 1 saved us , but cost.

Gayle from Newcastle and 4 more top quality loans may do it.

Rovrum and Barnsley have a few players near contract end that are worth nicking.

There is a lot of flouncing going on at the moment, unnecessary in my opinion.

The league was never played on paper and if you'd watched the recent games we have put 5 good shifts in as a collective. In the main players are in the correct positions and some players are upping their games. There is some direction and we have a plan something we lacked since Bruce.

If someone had said that we'd only be 4 pts off safety in early December I think we'd all have taken it back in September. Regardless of how the 12 point gap has been reduced. We'd all have taken it.

It was always going to be a fight, was never going to be comfortable but at least we've got someone who has shown for a prolonged period that he knows what he's doing.

I just hope our players aren't as fragile as some fans on here.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mystic Neg said:

There is a lot of flouncing going on at the moment, unnecessary in my opinion.

The league was never played on paper and if you'd watched the recent games we have put 5 good shifts in as a collective. In the main players are in the correct positions and some players are upping their games. There is some direction and we have a plan something we lacked since Bruce.

If someone had said that we'd only be 4 pts off safety in early December I think we'd all have taken it back in September. Regardless of how the 12 point gap has been reduced. We'd all have taken it.

It was always going to be a fight, was never going to be comfortable but at least we've got someone who has shown for a prolonged period that he knows what he's doing.

I just hope our players aren't as fragile as some fans on here.

I do wish people could just make their points and discuss the topics rather than drop in little fanbashing digs and attacks

It's perfectly normal to discuss and debate things, to have concerns, to look at what could be better

It's not being 'fragile' or 'flouncing' - it's perfectly normal

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, vulva said:

Because we’ve got a very experienced manager who knows how to keep teams up, injured players coming back and a budget for January that will have been part of why Pulis agreed to come. 

Can you send me a link to where our budget has been published?

And what makes you think players will want to come even if we do have a budget?

Nice thread with good well thought through posts showing the multiple sides of a complex argument. Good Sunday morning read. 

I am not confident at all we will stay up but at the same time think Pulis is the right man for the job at hand. 

I don’t think Monk could stop the free fall based on his deficiencies as a couch. He had the stuff in his head but couldn’t get the players to do it. 

Pulis can get the players to do what’s in his head within the limitations of the skills they have. I also think he will be very clear on who we need and has the contacts and will to make it happen. 

But. Big big thing for me is people are attaching too much faith in the Jan window. Players who we will sign will not make an immediate impact IMO. Anyone we sign is probably sat on the bench somewhere or out of form/ favour. It won’t be a cure all. 

Points and wins have to come way sooner. We have to win one of the next two games for me to think we are going to stay in this league. 

I think there is every chance Pauli’s will take us down but on balance think he will keep us up. 

Where I do feel I am swimming against the tide a bit is in the football Pulis plays. I think it’s OK to watch. I love fast breaking wing play and goals scored from crosses. Really gets my heart pumping! 

Sure, I’d rather we weren’t sat back as much but in the first half yesterday I felt we were comfortably as good as the Top placed side. 

But I do see why others don’t. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, darra said:

No excuse. All teams have the same number of fixtures in a short space of time. By that token players from all teams must be knackered. 

Having players sent off is our own fault and should also not be used as an excuse.

Simple fact is we haven’t been good enough to win games.

• Like 2

I think we will stay up as long as TP rids the club of the losing mentality and manages to install his grit into the team

I've no idea why people keep referencing January, when was the last time we spent any proper money comparative to other clubs in this league regardless of the position we were in? 3 years ago?

Absolutely no chance of getting top quality strikers in for any money. More chance of a couple of 500k signings untried at this level and hoping for the best and that's best case scenario

1 hour ago, Kendo Nagasaki said:

The next 7 games will be the acid test Jim. I didn’t want Pulis or the brand of football he’s labelled with. However I totally agree with your post above, I also see improvements in shape, organisation and work rate which are the things I suppose you associate with Pulis, I really hope we can pick up 8 - 10 points to keep up with the other teams and try and address the sides obvious shortcomings in January, 2 forwards, a CM, a LB and if I’m greedy a commanding keeper. 
Keep the post’s coming pal enjoy reading your passionate views. 
UTO

Cheers Pal. I enjoy reading your posts too as I do most on here. At the end of the day we all want the same thing. Wednesday to do well and I think potentially we have the right man in charge at the right time for a change.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

etc etc

What next?

"The sky was too blue"
"The ball was too round"

There is a difference between and excuse and a reason. I think a lot of the recent comments are moving into excuses because all other sides have the same issues (reasons) as well!

Yesterday we were decent IMO and lost to a team who were better than us at taking their chances. That’s all there is to it. 
But, excuses or reasons have to stop now. We have to get a good points return from the next 7 games.  

Or league one here we come.