To those who think we'll be fine this season

TP coming in for some unjustified flak at the moment. He’s started with a run of games against top sides and has also had precious little time on the training pitch. Monumental mess left behind by the previous regime and it won’t be a quick fix. Not so long ago, loads of us were crying out for Hughton. How’s he getting on at Forest?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Devonstrix said:

TP coming in for some unjustified flak at the moment. He’s started with a run of games against top sides and has also had precious little time on the training pitch. Monumental mess left behind by the previous regime and it won’t be a quick fix. Not so long ago, loads of us were crying out for Hughton. How’s he getting on at Forest?

So:

The teams we've played have been good
No time on the training pitch
Mess left behind by Monk

What about the wind isn't blowing in the right direction or that the supertram makes too much noise as it goes past Middlewood Training Ground too?

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So:

The teams we've played have been good
No time on the training pitch
Mess left behind by Monk

What about the wind isn't blowing in the right direction or that the supertram makes too much noise as it goes past Middlewood Training Ground too?

If Di Canio was manager and had got 3 points from those 4 games how would you sum up his start? 

• Haha 1

I am pretty confident that we will finish comfortably in mid table because there is no clear daylight in terms of ability between any of the clubs in the Championship. We have an experienced manager held back by several injuries still assessing the capabilities and best way of utilising the current squad.

It is a bit like the Stuey situation when he took over from Jones. The uplift in performance needed to move rapidly toward mid table is not a big one. 

Edited by ChinaOwl

Just now, Owls-Fan said:

If Di Canio was manager and had got 3 points from those 4 games how would you sum up his start? 

Utterly appalling mate

It doesn't matter WHO is or isn't winning games.

If I removed Pulis' name from the results so far, the stats so far, the players out of position so far, the mad substitutions, the decisions like bringing the terminally woeful Westwood back etc etc and wrote it all down and showed it any Wednesday fans they'd say it was worrying at least, and horrific to others.

Not a single person would cheer it on saying it's ok and fine 

But the fact it's got Pulis name on it blurs the reality to people and they start to deny it is even really happening

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Utterly appalling mate

It doesn't matter WHO is or isn't winning games.

If I removed Pulis' name from the results so far, the stats so far, the players out of position so far, the mad substitutions, the decisions like bringing the terminally woeful Westwood back etc etc and wrote it all down and showed it any Wednesday fans they'd say it was worrying at least, and horrific to others.

Not a single person would cheer it on saying it's ok and fine 

But the fact it's got Pulis name on it blurs the reality to people and they start to deny it is even really happening

Fair enough but that’s just conjecture,  personally I do feel that the points we’ve got so far is acceptable. Before the run of 5 games I said on here that 2 points would be realistic, I can find my post if it helps. And anything more would be a bonus.  I haven’t thought that in hindsight.  

For me the level of opposition DOES count for something.  If we lose at Huddersfield with 11 players will be the first time I will put my hands up and say I’m disappointed with the result 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Owls-Fan said:

Fair enough but that’s just conjecture,  personally I do feel that the points we’ve got so far is acceptable. Before the run of 5 games I said on here that 2 points would be realistic, I can find my post if it helps. And anything more would be a bonus.  I haven’t thought that in hindsight.  

For me the level of opposition DOES count for something.  If we lose at Huddersfield with 11 players will be the first time I will put my hands up and say I’m disappointed with the result 

That's fair mate - no argument from me on that

End of the day we all just want Pulis to get us safe, which means a huge improvement on what he's brought so far points wise

I'm really enjoying games at the moment (not the results) and am really looking forward to the next one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

47 minutes ago, vulva said:

Because we’ve got a very experienced manager who knows how to keep teams up, injured players coming back and a budget for January that will have been part of why Pulis agreed to come. 

Which of these imminently returning injured players are actually going to make a difference? Waiting for something that may, or may not happen in January, is a huge risk, given our performances under Pulis so far. We brought him in because he was an experienced manager who we presumed would get more out of these players than most would, but so far he hasn’t  It seems to me, it’s all about what he might do, rather than what he is doing now

53 minutes ago, Onge said:

How are you so confident?

We're not winning.

We're not scoring.

We're 4 points from safety.

It's unlikely we'll be able to bring in much quality in the transfer window considering our budget and league position.

I want to be reassured that performances have improved. I want to believe Pulis's record of never being relegated is a good omen. But if being a Wednesday fan has taught me anything it is to never to expect good things from this club.

If you're certain we'll be alright this season help convince me. I want to believe, but just can't see how at the moment...

I would turn your argument around and ask; why are you not confident??

We've probably got the best manager we could wish for in our position. Not only on-field performances but in terms of managing the owner as well.

As for 4 points from safety, that made me giggle. That's absolutely nothing at this stage of the season. I can remember when the first tables weren't published until 3 or 4 games in and no-one even thought about promotion or relegation until after Christmas!!

UTO FTB

6 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

I am pretty confident that we will finish comfortably in mid table because there is no clear daylight in terms of ability between any of the clubs in the Championship. We have an experienced manager held back by several injuries still assessing the capabilities and best way of utilising the current squad.

It is a bit like the Stuey situation when he took over from Jones. The uplift in performance needed to move rapidly toward mid table is not a big one. 

I think China owl is right 

we have finished mia table the last three seasons under what appear to be much less experienced and successful managers like Carlos, jos, Bruce and Garry monk. 

the team is pretty much the same as the team that was fine to finish mid table in those three seasons . Westwood, Lees, Palmer , iorfa , borner, Bannan, Harris, reach , Rhodes etc- plus we have added players to who are scoring goals this week like Windass and Paterson.

Wish I could share the optimism of some.

Tough run of fixtures and some encouraging signs, but even with the improved organisation, I still fear the old fragility is ever present and ready to undercut our efforts at crucial moments. Yesterday, was a classic Wednesday performance of the last 12 months: played pretty well, could have been out of sight, conceded a poor equaliser then another, had little in the tank to get us back in it.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Onge said:

How are you so confident?

We're not winning.

We're not scoring.

We're 4 points from safety.

It's unlikely we'll be able to bring in much quality in the transfer window considering our budget and league position.

I want to be reassured that performances have improved. I want to believe Pulis's record of never being relegated is a good omen. But if being a Wednesday fan has taught me anything it is to never to expect good things from this club.

If you're certain we'll be alright this season help convince me. I want to believe, but just can't see how at the moment...

Stop being a massive flange. The past 4 games we’ve played teams in and around the play offs. Come Jan TP will bring one or two in, he’s well respected and has good contacts in the game which is appealing to certain types of players. 

We’ll be reyt yer big flapper.

lol 

• Love 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

It’s hypothetical I know, but if monk was still our manager and we had got 3 points from our last 5 games, including no wins, goalie howlers , hardly any shots, late winners conceded, centre backs playing in midfield and wingers playing as lone strikers, more red cards and we were back on the bottom of the league with no wins in 6, would that also have been acceptable. I am just trying to compare apples with apples. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

I admire your optimism, but I’m not sure even the most optimistic fan could be confident that Pulis will collect enough points to have us sitting comfortably in mid table. That would require us to win nearly 50% of our games, an extremely unlikely scenario Even more unlikely if we are waiting until January to kickstart our season. If we have a squad that are capable of such a win percentage, why isn’t he doing it now?

4 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

It’s hypothetical I know, but if monk was still our manager and we had got 3 points from our last 5 games, including no wins, goalie howlers , hardly any shots, late winners conceded, centre backs playing in midfield and wingers playing as lone strikers, more red cards and we were back on the bottom of the league with no wins in 6, would that also have been acceptable. I am just trying to compare apples with apples. 

Well,  hardly any shots is a bit unfair, we played well yesterday.  Had Klopp been in charge of that performance I think there’d be more people excited about the improvement that’s been made. 

But anyway,  I feel there should be some allowance for Pulis to have time to bed in. Monk had over a year with us and two transfer windows.  Yet Pulis is meant to get better results after 3 weeks in the job? I feel that is a little harsh.

As I say if we don’t get more goals and points in the next 6 games I will be more disappointed than I am so far.  As Pulis will of had more time with the group and played against teams with weaker players 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Well,  hardly any shots is a bit unfair, we played well yesterday.  Had Klopp been in charge of that performance I think there’d be more people excited about the improvement that’s been made. 

But anyway,  I feel there should be some allowance for Pulis to have time to bed in. Monk had over a year with us and two transfer windows.  Yet Pulis is meant to get better results after 3 weeks in the job? I feel that is a little harsh.

As I say if we don’t get more goals and points in the next 6 games I will be more disappointed than I am so far.  As Pulis will of had more time with the group and played against teams with weaker players 

but what if this IS the new manager bounce

The way I see it we've had a really sheet run of games, performances have improved we look to be more organised, tougher even. Yes we lost to Norwich yesterday in the last ten minutes but they are a side that have come down from the Premiership and are in the mix of the top half of this league. I'm confident that TP will have us ready for the lesser sides, the win will come UP THE OWLS!!

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I admire your optimism, but I’m not sure even the most optimistic fan could be confident that Pulis will collect enough points to have us sitting comfortably in mid table. That would require us to win nearly 50% of our games, an extremely unlikely scenario Even more unlikely if we are waiting until January to kickstart our season. If we have a squad that are capable of such a win percentage, why isn’t he doing it now?

As bad as we've been, with one or two perhaps notable exceptions, I have seen nothing to suggest that the rest of the Championship is much better if at all. That suggests to me the outcome will be a squidgy mid table mass of clubs with only three or four points between them.

The challenge for us is to stay in touching distance between now and January. Obviously we need new firepower bringing in but even a couple of steady but unspectular strikers will make such a big difference,

• Thanks 1