To those who think we'll be fine this season

How are you so confident?

We're not winning.

We're not scoring.

We're 4 points from safety.

It's unlikely we'll be able to bring in much quality in the transfer window considering our budget and league position.

I want to be reassured that performances have improved. I want to believe Pulis's record of never being relegated is a good omen. But if being a Wednesday fan has taught me anything it is to never to expect good things from this club.

If you're certain we'll be alright this season help convince me. I want to believe, but just can't see how at the moment...

• Love 1
  • Thanks 3

What vulva said. Plus it’s so apparent he knows what he’s doing. There’s a definite improvement in organisation. Reach is playing like his old self. Big Dom will become the new Carlton Palmer. He will make the signings we NEED in the window. 

• Like 3

I think we need to reassess in January. 

Had we won yesterday (I know if) then the picture would be positive on that front. 

If we can get a settled 11, with the likes of Flint and Dunkley to return at the back and perhaps a physical and fast striker to occupy defenders and allow us to play higher up the pitch then it could give the entire team a lift. 

On the one hand there are some really poor/average teams in this league on paper and they are winning which suggests we should be able to when we get over a couple of issues. But by the same token it doesn’t say much about this lot!

The -6 has us bottom 3. We’d be out otherwise. Imagine if the appeal had failed!

The guys been here less than a month

Played 6 games back to back 

-Has 1 natural striker at the club whose career is practically over

-One of the worst teams ever assembled in championship history 

-Injuries, suspensions 

If he played the silky, amazing football majority people want 

We would have got absolutely hammered in the last 6 games 

Yes it's not the perfect start but I'd rather have Pulis getting players in January than Garry 'been watching da Cruz for a while' monk 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The main positive is the performances have been reasonable. Another big plus is that there are a number of pish teams in the Championship this season. All we have to do by the end of the season is gain enough points to finish 4th bottom. Our home form needs to improve and we need to score more goals but it is 100% achievable. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

If it’s one thing we all know with Wednesday you can never be certain with anything apart from if it can go wrong it probably will?

Seriously I think even in defeat yesterday you could see we’re on the right path. We still have deficiencies like being prone to collapsing after being in a strong position but that just won’t be solved overnight. In some ways I’m glad Pulis has seen us at first hand collapse in the way that we have been prone to do for quite a while.

The quality in the squad isn’t what it once was particularly in attacking areas and we have to hope TP can address this sufficiently in January?

What I am encouraged with is he seems to see what we all see and in a short space of time he’s made some of the best sides on this league work very hard for any points they have took off us. This next 6/7 games will tell us more.

In a nutshell I expect us to be more competitive and ruthless in the games where we’re more expected to take points than we were under Monk.

The next 7 games will be the acid test Jim. I didn’t want Pulis or the brand of football he’s labelled with. However I totally agree with your post above, I also see improvements in shape, organisation and work rate which are the things I suppose you associate with Pulis, I really hope we can pick up 8 - 10 points to keep up with the other teams and try and address the sides obvious shortcomings in January, 2 forwards, a CM, a LB and if I’m greedy a commanding keeper. 
Keep the post’s coming pal enjoy reading your passionate views. 
UTO

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm really not convinced that we will stay up. There a 30 games left and we need 41 points to get to 50 - so we are going to have to win 11 draw 7 and lose 12 (as an example)

So we need to convert a current win percentage of zero to one of 37%

Two games ago we required a win percentage of 33%

By the time January comes that will probably be a requirement of around 40%

We are going to need some serious quality arriving in January to turn this round.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Just now, Bulldog said:

I'm really not convinced that we will stay up. There a 30 games left and we need 41 points to get to 50 - so we are going to have to win 11 draw 7 and lose 12 (as an example)

So we need to convert a current win percentage of zero to one of 37%

Two games ago we required a win percentage of 33%

By the time January comes that will probably be a requirement of around 40%

We are going to need some serious quality arriving in January to turn this round.

The greatest thing Pulis has done is to tell fans January is coming and we can turn it round there.

That puts the greatest pressure on the chairman to go nuts and do a SPENDAGEDDON

If it doesn't happen fans will be frustrated/angry at Chansiri and not Pulis

And if we go down Pulis can point to not being backed in January

And our fans will lap that up 100% - they're already saying we just need to get through to the transfer window, without knowing if we can even do any business at that point etc

It's the perfect win/win for Pulis - He's set it up perfectly

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

I am very mixed about it to be honest.

we have played quite well at times under Tony Pulis. Some excellent spells against swansea, Norwich against good teams. The manager has been a manager for over 1000 games and has never been relegated, and talks a lot of sense . I could listen to Tony Pulis speak all day.

Our points per game, possession, shots, clean sheets, win percentage and results have fallen off a cliff though since his arrival which , I have to admit, is a slight concern when we are rock bottom of the league and need those exact things to improve. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Onge said:

How are you so confident?

We're not winning.

We're not scoring.

We're 4 points from safety.

It's unlikely we'll be able to bring in much quality in the transfer window considering our budget and league position.

I want to be reassured that performances have improved. I want to believe Pulis's record of never being relegated is a good omen. But if being a Wednesday fan has taught me anything it is to never to expect good things from this club.

If you're certain we'll be alright this season help convince me. I want to believe, but just can't see how at the moment...

We are not winning, but our performances have improved and we have just taken 4 of the top 5 on and acquitted ourselves.

We are starting to score goals and yesterday we had plenty of chances to win the game. Even though we are well short up front, we have also been missing our best attacking players since Pulis came. We are now getting them back on the field, I am praying Windass is ok.

I believe we will bring in some good forwards players, better than we have now.

It is absolute fact that our performances have improved, you must be able to see that? Sendings off, suspensions and missing our key players, when we have a threadbare squad, has hindered us pushing on to win the games we have competed well in. After all that, we are ONLY 4 points from safety with 2/3rds of the season to go! Hold your nerve, we will pick up some wins in the next 5 games, I’m very confident of that.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, vulva said:

Because we’ve got a very experienced manager who knows how to keep teams up, injured players coming back and a budget for January that will have been part of why Pulis agreed to come. 

I really hope this is true and I am still personally clinging onto this as a reason to be optimistic.

However the OP has a point - things still look very bleak.

I know Rome wasn’t built in a day, we’ve face teams in the top 6 (when we played them) and there have been SOME very small positive signs once Pulis came in - but if we keep drifting it my become mission impossible.