Let’s not lose our heads

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yep, we have the 'feel' of a relegation side about us, don't we?

We have to work so damn hard for every chance we create, never mind a goal, all while stretching and straining every sinew to keep the opposition at bay. It seems inevitable that we'll concede an easily-avoidable goal at some point in most matches, which will instantly undo all our hard work and endeavour. 

Add in ill-discipline, refereeing decisions which rarely seem to go our way, and a rotating cast of key players in the treatment room, and we have all the hallmarks of a team who are going down, don't we?

Sadly so.

I think most of us have seen enough relegation sides to know when we might be in trouble.

Imo, we need to be staying in touch distance up until Jan and then will require three to four attacking additions to give ourselves any chance of stopping up.

It's a big ask and I suspect Pulis is really starting to realise quite how big it is.

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

They're all things you'd expect an experienced manager to sort

Very few managers are miracle workers and it's even more difficult when you come in with the season already having started.

Tbf, we look a bit more organised than under Monk, but then yesterday's display was classic Wednesday over the last 12 months. The confidence is so brittle that they just fall apart at the sign of the slightest setback.

• Like 1

Just now, SiJ said:

Very few managers are miracle workers and it's even more difficult when you come in with the season already having started.

Tbf, we look a bit more organised than under Monk, but then yesterday's display was classic Wednesday over the last 12 months. The confidence is so brittle that they just fall apart at the sign of the slightest setback.

Very true mate but an experienced man-manager who knows what he's doing should be able to sort it

Remember the last few months under Monk our fans were screaming out that any good man manager could get more out of the team than Monk was getting so we should be fine under Pulis

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, NorthernOwl said:

I thought we did ok but you just knew we wouldn't hold onto the lead when we took it. The problem is we will hardly ever score more than 1 under Pulis but we are not good enough to keep clean sheets. That's a worrying situation to be in.

Under Pulis lol

11 minutes ago, owls66 said:

I'm afraid that this squad is beyond saving unless we have a massive recruitment drive in January, this squad is simply not good enough.

Can't score.

No bottle.

Mistakes galore.

No discipline.

We need an absolute miracle at this point.

We finished mid table last season and the prior 2 seasons. Of the players who started yesterday, all but 2 are players from last season and previous seasons who finished mid table . And the two new players added are our goal scorers this week. 

We won 3 of our 11 matches in the league this season before we changed manager, and had one of the best defensive records in the league at that point.

why have we gone to suddenly needing miracles?

if you re read the thread on here after the good win against Birmingham, almost all fans posted that we would stay up, and at that point we had a 12 point deduction not 6. From that point to when monk was sacked we added another 10 points in 6 matches before Tony Pulis took over . And suddenly we need miracles to stay up ?

I no longer understand owlstalk and it’s posters. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

He took Windass off injured and Iorfa off as he'd played midweek and started today after a decent length injury lay off... who should be have brought on? Rhodes who's done nothing for ages, Brown whose done nothing since the fifth minute of the season when he set up Windass or Kachunga who has done nothing in three years?

The thing with tactics is they work until they don't. If we'd not conceded we'd be loving the fact that we were so defensively organised whilst also posing a threat on the break.

Sitting at home in your armchair everything is black and white. How many points did we get? 0? Well we must have had the wrong tactics...

Instead of ranting, if you check back through the posts, I responded to your assessment that we had, the perfect game plan. Could you see better from your arm chair than I can see from mine ? Your perfect game plan resulted in defeat. Therefore how was it perfect? 

• Haha 1

If we look at the results in isolation under Pulis. Just to provide a bit of context. 

Preston lose 1-0 - Windass sent off in the 15 minute. 

Swansea 1-1 - Superb first half. Second half Swansea came back and Ayew made all the difference. Overall a decent display.

Stoke 0-0 - horrible game where both sides looked crap. You get these games over a season.

Reading 1-1 - looked confident and good value for our lead until another red card cost us the game 25 mins in. The second half performance was absolutely terrific in the circumstances.

Norwich lose 2-1 - superb performance up until the 80 min. Great goal, decent on the counter and frustrated top of the table who WILL go on to win the league this year. Also take into account Norwich had the advantage of home fans in the ground for the first time since March. It was unlucky.

4 out of those 5 teams make up the top 6. The real test of Pulis will be the next 5 games where we play teams a bit lower down the table. If we still don’t have a win I’ll be concerned. 

And a disclaimer. Any comparison to Monk is not justified. Monk was dealt bad luck and a crap hand at times but I judged Monk over a long period of time. From Boxing Day last year up until he was sacked last month his record as manager was relegation form. Over a long period of time he was showing no signs of laying any solid foundations or believable improvement in results. Pulis has had 5 GAMES. I know football is a results based industry but Jesus Christ give the bloke more than 5 games. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Instead of ranting, if you check back through the posts, I responded to your assessment that we had, the perfect game plan. Could you see better from your arm chair than I can see from mine ? Your perfect game plan resulted in defeat. Therefore how was it perfect? 

I haven't ranted, I've stated that everything is black and white; If we lose our game plan must have been wrong.

Then you proved my point.

Guest Therealrealist
37 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

If we look at the results in isolation under Pulis. Just to provide a bit of context. 

Preston lose 1-0 - Windass sent off in the 15 minute. 

Swansea 1-1 - Superb first half. Second half Swansea came back and Ayew made all the difference. Overall a decent display.

Stoke 0-0 - horrible game where both sides looked crap. You get these games over a season.

Reading 1-1 - looked confident and good value for our lead until another red card cost us the game 25 mins in. The second half performance was absolutely terrific in the circumstances.

Norwich lose 2-1 - superb performance up until the 80 min. Great goal, decent on the counter and frustrated top of the table who WILL go on to win the league this year. Also take into account Norwich had the advantage of home fans in the ground for the first time since March. It was unlucky.

4 out of those 5 teams make up the top 6. The real test of Pulis will be the next 5 games where we play teams a bit lower down the table. If we still don’t have a win I’ll be concerned. 

And a disclaimer. Any comparison to Monk is not justified. Monk was dealt bad luck and a crap hand at times but I judged Monk over a long period of time. From Boxing Day last year up until he was sacked last month his record as manager was relegation form. Over a long period of time he was showing no signs of laying any solid foundations or believable improvement in results. Pulis has had 5 GAMES. I know football is a results based industry but Jesus Christ give the bloke more than 5 games. 

It’s no good bein superb till the 80th minute tho is it? I’d rather have been crap for 90mins and got a point

19 hours ago, 0114 said:

Fragility in the sense of when we conceded, we stopped doing all the good things that we had done for 80 minutes and concede again. 

Can’t really fault the performance. We’ve gone away to the team who is top. Scored, should have had a penalty and should have added another. It’s a sickener but I think Pulis will keep us up. 

Absolutely but we've got to be patient here, we are in one hell of a mess and I think it's now become apparent to us all just how big a job TP has on his hands plus all the behind the scenes issues that the supporters don't see or get to know about. I'm sure though given time and given DCs total backing with no interference TP will get this great club moving forward with a team worthy to wear that blue and white shirt and the best fans in the land will once again look forward to following the Owls home and away. 

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

They're all things you'd expect an experienced manager to sort

Yes given time he will, some of our fans need to face reality on how bad the situation is what TP has walked into miracles can't be performed overnight. PATIENCE. FFS 

16 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That was my exact point FFS

I wasn't making a point to just you specifically it was a general point to those who are not willing to give TP a chance because they didn't want him in the first place.