The Shaw tackle and red card

In today’s game it’s probably a red card.

Thats a problem with today’s game though, not the tackle. The tackle was firm but he took the ball, he won the ball and he also left one on the player.

At least we’ve got a young player willing to get really stuck in. He may just need reigning in to align with today’s more sanitised play. 

Seen them given as a yellow It was a bad tackle and to be fair to the ref he didn't produce the card straight away like some do. What really annoys me is the Reading players surrounding him asking for the card. I'm sure that in some ways made his mind up to give a red. At the end of the game, they were in his ear again with one player having to be restrained by his mates.  That should be a yellow for dissent. They committed one less foul than us yet didn't get a single yellow, 
 one tackle in the second half in front of the lino was a definite yellow, we didn't even get a foul for it. They got away with a lot. Two penalty appeals turned down for fouls against us. Where was the card for diving? Reading were awful falling down at every opportunity. They showed the free kick for their goal he tripped over his own feet.

Question is was Shaw ready for the step up? He's played 75 minutes of 1st team football and do far has got a yellow and a red card. Even Hutchinson never managed that 😆. I'm all for enthusiasm but

41 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

So you consider a lunge is a “sudden forward thrust of the body, typically with an outstretched arm to attack someone or seize something” Okay, but in that picture he isn’t lunging at anyone or attacking them though. He was making a genuine attempt to win the ball while also running at pace. Look at his eyes and body position, follow the line of his leg and it’s also the only leg off the ground. He’s nowhere near the Reading player. Also how are you supposed tackle or jump for a header as all these require “ a sudden thrust forward of the body” are these all lunges or are these okay.  
In my opinion its a Yellow at most, It’s his follow through that catches him and the players screaming reaction that ultimately got him sent off.

Fitness and strength may be better, but there are also far more injuries than previous.
Maybe the so called authorities have changed too many laws and people get injured more because they pull out of tackles or try to Nick the ball away rather than actually tackling. 

He is in a perfect lunging pose. It's the force used that makes it what it is.. A pleyer who lunges, with excessive force. At full speed he goes flying in, he is not in control, the fact he doesn't hit the player is irrelevant, the reading player is lucky that he didn't because if he did, that could have easily ended his season. 

• Thanks 1

Ah, the good old days when you could end someone's career and have a pint and a fag with them afterwards.

Back in the real world, Shaw initially goes over the top of the ball, studs first and makes contact with the ball after that.

It's a red card offence, the law that is designed to stop thugs ' leaving one on' the opposition or deliberately trying to end their participation in the match .

if the opposition had done that to one of our lads we would be howling for a red. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Not at all

It was a definite red but some of our fans just deny any and everything we do wrong, and post how everyone is out to get us just to look like bigger/better fans to other fans on the internet 

It’s the equivalent of wearing Stone Island and bragging about how much coke you took and how many blokes you smacked on the way to the match

It was a definite red

I know that.
The referee knew that

Shaw knew that

Pulis admitted and said that

THEY know that

So basically we all know that but a few are trying to act all super fan and deny it in public 

It was not a definite red at all.

the referee didnt know that,he didnt know anything

Shaw didnt know that and was amazed 

Havent seen or heard about Pulis reaction

The most reasoned and unbiased comments have been "Very harsh and should probably have been a yellow"

I admit i know nothing but i dont think ive ever worn  a Stone Island and hardly ever drink coke,im a John Smiths man myself.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Ah, the good old days when you could end someone's career and have a pint and a fag with them afterwards.

Back in the real world, Shaw initially goes over the top of the ball, studs first and makes contact with the ball after that.

It's a red card offence, the law that is designed to stop thugs ' leaving one on' the opposition or deliberately trying to end their participation in the match .

if the opposition had done that to one of our lads we would be howling for a red. 

Pics or never happened.

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

lol 

1 hour ago, pioowl said:

The most reasoned and unbiased comments have been "Very harsh and should probably have been a yellow"

I admit i know nothing but i dont think ive ever worn  a Stone Island and hardly ever drink coke,im a John Smiths man myself.

Pulis reaction was:- "[On Liam Shaw's red card] I'm disappointed with the challenge, it's reckless. Whether he's played the ball or not, in the modern game today, you can't go in that strongly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pioowl said:

I'm an Abbydale moonshine man, and it was a red card all day

1 minute ago, Bannofan said:

Sorry should have qualified a bit more, it's his right leg that then nudges the ball and takes the rest of the player that the left didn't.

Without SWFC bias, it's not even a debate.

And yet 9 pages of debate ! Refereeing is so subjective and these days referees compete with each other reaching for their own subjective stardom. Keith Hackett one of the best would have weighed the players age and lack of experience and simply told him "To calm down and make sure he stays on the pitch for the full 90 minutes".From my point of view Football is a contact sport, Shaw's only intent was to be first to the ball, he won that race ! The referee applied the laws as they stand but he also has a responsibility to fans who pay his wages over and above his eagerness to climb the refereeing ladder.    

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Nah. There's 4 pictures there and he's not made contact with the opponent in any them. His front foot, which apparently is the dangerous one,  doesn't touch the player in the entire challenge.

Gets the ball with his tackling foot.

He only makes contact with the player with his back leg which in no way goes over anything.

Excellent tackle.

Their player should be done for the theatrics

You don’t have to make contact with the player if you look at the rules for dangerous play.

• Like 2