The Shaw tackle and red card

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Everyone in football says it is/was

He went in one footed. Low. Got the ball and got the man with his back leg on the follow through.

Unfortunately in today's game you have to get more of the ball and he didn't get enough as the images show.

• Haha 1

Just now, CircleSeven said:

I haven’t heard even a whiff of the club appealing it which I suppose says a lot. 

The opposite

Pulis called the challenge ‘reckless’ and said he fully understood the referee giving a red card for it 

Imagine trying to appeal after your manager has said that?

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, Warringtonowl said:

It's why it is a beautiful game. The game is very different now. Fitness and strength is significantly higher than 'back in't day' and players rightly have to take more care. 

We must have a different idea on what a lunge is

Here is a picture of someone "lunging":

VS Shaw. 

If shaws front foot was planted to the ground he would be in an almost perfect lunge. 

Then if I consider the actual definition of a lunge in the English language:

a sudden forward thrust of the body, typically with an arm outstretched to attack someone or seize something

I have to come to the conclusion that it was a lunge. For me the force used in the challenge was excessive. 

I think the issue we have here, and it's an issue across all levels of football and I don't really K ow where it comes from is that there is a myth that so long as you make some kind of contact with the ball then the challenge is fine and not a foul or mitigates further sanction. 

In fact there is no mention of 'getting/winning the ball' in the whole of law 12 (fouls and misconduct) . 

A referee has to decide if in his opinion an offence is careless, reckless or uses excessive force. Each has its own definition and criteria. Careless is just a foul. Reckless is a caution. And excessive force is a red card. 

(personal gripe when someone says a foul is reckless and is a red is technically not correct as per above 🤣

Airman_performing_lunge.jpg

Screenshot_20201203_093852.jpg

So you consider a lunge is a “sudden forward thrust of the body, typically with an outstretched arm to attack someone or seize something” Okay, but in that picture he isn’t lunging at anyone or attacking them though. He was making a genuine attempt to win the ball while also running at pace. Look at his eyes and body position, follow the line of his leg and it’s also the only leg off the ground. He’s nowhere near the Reading player. Also how are you supposed tackle or jump for a header as all these require “ a sudden thrust forward of the body” are these all lunges or are these okay.  
In my opinion its a Yellow at most, It’s his follow through that catches him and the players screaming reaction that ultimately got him sent off.

Fitness and strength may be better, but there are also far more injuries than previous.
Maybe the so called authorities have changed too many laws and people get injured more because they pull out of tackles or try to Nick the ball away rather than actually tackling. 

Guest Willow Owl
44 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The opposite

Pulis called the challenge ‘reckless’ and said he fully understood the referee giving a red card for it 

Imagine trying to appeal after your manager has said that?

A reckless challenge is classed as a Yellow card. Just saying

Just now, Willow Owl said:

Look at his eyes

body position

Follow the line of his leg

it’s also the only leg off the ground.

a sudden thrust forward of the body

It’s his follow through that catches him

the players screaming reaction 

Fitness and strength

but there are also far more injuries than previous.

people get injured more because they pull out

And there is your excerpt from the latest erotic novel from Willow Owl

lol

Owlstalk Shop

12 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

I dislike a lot about modern day football but I think they’ve got this one right. Once a player leaves a ground and goes over the ball it’s a red card.

You can say nostalgia but too many players (people like David Hirst, Ian Knight, Marco Van Basten) were kicked out of games in those days and had to retire at an early age because tackles like this were allowed 

He didn’t go over the ball , he got the ball , big difference 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I'll take the opinions of people still actually in the game over Keith Hackett's

Exactly.

But you'd expect a referee with his experience and who worked assessing other referees to make the right call on this one.

I'm really surprised that he thinks it was a yellow.

Guest Willow Owl
20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

And there is your excerpt from the latest erotic novel from Willow Owl

lol

Strange how someone’s post can be deemed erotic. Is there something you need to get off your chest mate🤣🤣

Guest Willow Owl
23 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He wasn't discussing the actual offence he was discussing that he thought it was reckless of him to commit that foul

Point taken 👍