The Shaw tackle and red card

13 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

I dislike a lot about modern day football but I think they’ve got this one right. Once a player leaves a ground and goes over the ball it’s a red card.

You can say nostalgia but too many players (people like David Hirst, Ian Knight, Marco Van Basten) were kicked out of games in those days and had to retire at an early age because tackles like this were allowed 

Fair point but this challenge wasn’t malicious just robust and he won the ball first
No problem with your views fella but I loved a good physical game where skill still shone through 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cowl said:

I think a challenge like that should be a yellow and a stern talking to, but it's not, sadly. Apparently it's a straight red.

Players do get sent off for less, and occasionally even manage to stay on the pitch for much worse but it's not really the inconsistency of reffing that annoys me (although obviously tonight's ref was abysmal overall for both sides).

It's about the general trend in reffing that the game's overruling authorities have obviously sought to bring in, which is to have them send so many more players off. Why? Is the game more violent now?

What I'd like is for refs to be instructed to try to keep games 11 vs 11. The game as a contest between peers was over at that point.

Putting strong tackles in has always been a part of football that I like, it where the midfield battles take place that decides the middle ground and who controls the midfield.  The game is slowly getting worse imo.  No more strong tackles allowed but plenty of their players should have been carded tonight for the diving, cheating and even for trying to surround the ref trying to influence him. 

I personally was hoping for the yellow card, but knew the ref would send him off.

Long term though regarding Liam Shaw, think we have a very good prospect on our hands.  When was the last time one of our youth players put a challenge in like that? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kendo Nagasaki said:

Fair point but this challenge wasn’t malicious just robust and he won the ball first
No problem with your views fella but I loved a good physical game where skill still shone through 

Used to love seeing those tackles go in aswell but I can see why they’re reds now. Players have had their careers ended by them.

The tackle tonight from Shaw wasn’t malicious but it was reckless. He needs to learn from Hutch on how to put a tackle in like that and get away with it 

• Like 1

Thought it was a yellow card at worst. wasn't two footed, his back foot didn't leave the ground and hardly touched their player. It was all their players surrounding the ref and pushing Shaw about that made the Ref's mind up to give the red.

That said just before it happened I was thinking Shaw needed to come off, he wasn't up to speed with the pace of the game, gave the ball away a few times and looked a bit lost. Surprised he started ahead of Brown or Pelupessy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

18301245_10155683044781111_7241144004711262515_n.jpg.34dcc439be822fc3b921df0e03f6e65c.jpg

Some photo that! Both players lucky it didn’t lead to a serous injury.

Is that Dane Whitehouse he’s going in on? Whitehouse had his career finished early by a shocking tackle from Gareth Ainsworth.

There were some brutal tackles going in back then, would you want to go back to that?

My issue is every "orange card" challenge we've had this season has been shown a red. We profited against Bournemouth with a soft red but other than that we've been dealt a very harsh hand by refs... At least in terms of sending offs.

As others have said the empty stadia helps the ref make up his mind when a player screams in "agony".

Even the Luongo yellow I thought was harsh, he definitely crunched the back of the players ankle but after the completion of a fair change and purely as a result of the players foot landing exactly where Luongos foot was.

It is fast becoming a non contact sport which saddens me.

• Like 3

I'm sorry but it's a red card challenge. Meets all the criteria for serious foul play; speed, intensity, off the ground, studs showing. 

A red card does not have to endanger safety, it has too use "excessive force" (OR endanger safety). 

To be more specific "Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the 
front,
from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force 
or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

The force used in the challenge was such that even getting the ball meant it had to be red. Said red as soon as the tackle went in and yet to see anything to change my mind on it 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

Those photos suggest it was a red and over the top of the ball. In real-time probably didn’t look as bad. 

If he was in the opposition side you’d probably say it was worthy of a red.

Nah. There's 4 pictures there and he's not made contact with the opponent in any them. His front foot, which apparently is the dangerous one,  doesn't touch the player in the entire challenge.

Gets the ball with his tackling foot.

He only makes contact with the player with his back leg which in no way goes over anything.

Excellent tackle.

Their player should be done for the theatrics

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Brommers said:

I'd love to know what the definition of going over the top is? The pictures clearly show his leading foot is not higher than the ball.

Then there's "the studs showing", I'm not sure it's physically possible to perform a slide tackle without exposing your studs. Why not simply ban slide tackles.

I'm not saying it wasn't a red card, he certainly gave the ref the opportunity to dish one out. However, have you seen the Watford v Forest clips? There were 2 tackles from Watford that were both worse than Shaw's but were given yellows.

Suppose its always going to be a grey area and what with inconsistent ref's, banning slide tackles would be another killer of the game imo, get your points though. 

• Thanks 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
11 hours ago, big_al1985 said:

We've had 5 reds in what, 9 matches.... does everyone genuinely think every one was wrong!? Really?

We keep making crap, silly tackles in areas where we don't need to. 

I seriously wonder what people think at times 

Van Aken- correct decision

Lees- correct decision

Harris- harsh

Windass- correct decision 

Shaw- correct decision 

No we aren’t being persecuted against.

A good refereeing decision is to give a yellow when something is a borderline red, not the other way around.

A lot of people see it as a stonewaller but if thats a stonewaller then there are a hell of a lot of borderline red card challenges in every single game and by rights some games should finish 7 v 7

Just seen the highlights and I’m taking a positive stance on Shaw’s tackle. 

That tackle has just seen Shaw commence his career as a Pulis player in earnest, proving that the previously thought of young boy can hold his own in a man’s world.

We’ll see much more of him with increasing regularity. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, debram said:

Suppose its always going to be a grey area and what with inconsistent ref's, banning slide tackles would be another killer of the game imo, get your points though. 

Maybe my throwaway comment about banning slide tackles is a bit far, i do like a good slide tackle.

Maybe they should just outlaw them from front on, they are the most dangerous as by definition it will always result in you clattering the player, even if you win the ball.

11 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

A clear red imo. Surprised so many are suggesting otherwise.

I am absolutely amazed that anyone could possibly see that as a clear red especially after seeing a replay.Their players theatrics and girly screams conned the ref.

• Like 1

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, Warringtonowl said:

I'm sorry but it's a red card challenge. Meets all the criteria for serious foul play; speed, intensity, off the ground, studs showing. 

A red card does not have to endanger safety, it has too use "excessive force" (OR endanger safety). 

To be more specific "Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the 
front,
from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force 
or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

The force used in the challenge was such that even getting the ball meant it had to be red. Said red as soon as the tackle went in and yet to see anything to change my mind on it 

Got to disagree mate, At no point does he lunge in at the player.  On the first still his leg is pointing at the ball and his eyes are fixed on the ball. The second still he is no higher than the Reading player and his foot is on the opposite side to the Reading players. At no point does his tackling leg come into contact with the player. It’s his momentum and the Reading players reactions that got him sent off. 
It’s impossible to tackle without lifting  your foot, especially while running. 
Yellow at worst, fine tackle in my book. But I’m from a generation when it was a contact sport. Tackles like that used to get the fans on their feet and made them get behind the team. Taking away the art of tackling is another nail in the coffin for me. 
Players have a lot to answer for with their reactions and trying to get the opposition player sent off.

I know it’s the “ modern game “ but it’s garbage and spoils the game.The number of players getting sent off is ridiculous and it ruins the 11v11 as a contest.

In my opinion there are more injuries than there ever has been, so cannot see why it better these days. 
Just an old dinosaur having a rant. 

5 minutes ago, pioowl said:

I am absolutely amazed that anyone could possibly see that as a clear red especially after seeing a replay.Their players theatrics and girly screams conned the ref.

The ref had decided it was a red straightaway. A different ref may have given a yellow. It was terrible tackle, studs showing off the ground, the fact the foot was no where near the player is the issue for me. We won't appeal.