The Shaw tackle and red card

It’s very harsh imo. It’s Very hard to tackle with no studs showing when you are stretching for a lose ball! It’s not like it was shin high ffs. It was his ankle,  players are literally going to have to stop going for lose balls soon. I don’t get why we are trying to get rid of tackling. To me it’s the best part of the game. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Not sure what the debate is here? just look at that first picture FF

Foot miles from the floor, stdu showing, doesn’t get the ball and he came in with force if he’s a few inches to the right could have been very nasty.

Wrong, the pic to look at is the 2nd, the moment of contact.

Wrong, he got the ball.

Wrong, he wasn't few inches to the right though.

Wrong, he didn't hurt him.

Apart from that, not a bad summary

🤣

• Like 1

Today’s rules unfortunately it’s a red. But oh my word not so long ago the whole North would have risen as one in applause to salute a 19 year old academy product, one of their own put in a challenge like that, win the ball and leave something on the player. 
Yes this is nostalgic but it saddens me that this is no longer part of the game and football is poorer for it. 
UTO

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kendo Nagasaki said:

Today’s rules unfortunately it’s a red. But oh my word not so long ago the whole North would have risen as one in applause to salute a 19 year old academy product, one of their own put in a challenge like that, win the ball and leave something on the player. 
Yes this is nostalgic but it saddens me that this is no longer part of the game and football is poorer for it. 
UTO

Soon as I watched it 

Well in son !

Game has been ruined 

• Like 3

I think a challenge like that should be a yellow and a stern talking to, but it's not, sadly. Apparently it's a straight red.

Players do get sent off for less, and occasionally even manage to stay on the pitch for much worse but it's not really the inconsistency of reffing that annoys me (although obviously tonight's ref was abysmal overall for both sides).

It's about the general trend in reffing that the game's overruling authorities have obviously sought to bring in, which is to have them send so many more players off. Why? Is the game more violent now?

What I'd like is for refs to be instructed to try to keep games 11 vs 11. The game as a contest between peers was over at that point.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I remember the time this one wasn't even a free kick.

Ball 10 yards away and the ref looking right at it.

59c69d78169a8_2017-09-2318_46_13.png.a475bad4b8c05a3f6d4d0f06bf1a138f.png

To be fair, drop-kicking COG’s thunder thighs would be like drop-kicking a reinforced brick wall, he probably did himself more damage there

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Kendo Nagasaki said:

UTO

I dislike a lot about modern day football but I think they’ve got this one right. Once a player leaves a ground and goes over the ball it’s a red card.

You can say nostalgia but too many players (people like David Hirst, Ian Knight, Marco Van Basten) were kicked out of games in those days and had to retire at an early age because tackles like this were allowed 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, debram said:

Went over the top, idiot, cost us the game. 

I'd love to know what the definition of going over the top is? The pictures clearly show his leading foot is not higher than the ball.

Then there's "the studs showing", I'm not sure it's physically possible to perform a slide tackle without exposing your studs. Why not simply ban slide tackles.

I'm not saying it wasn't a red card, he certainly gave the ref the opportunity to dish one out. However, have you seen the Watford v Forest clips? There were 2 tackles from Watford that were both worse than Shaw's but were given yellows.

Just now, pat blondeau said:

I dislike a lot about modern day football but I think they’ve got this one right. Once a player leaves a ground and goes over the ball it’s a red card.

You can say nostalgia but too many players (people like David Hirst, Ian Knight, Marco Van Basten) were kicked out of games in those days and had to retire at an early age because tackles like this were allowed 

hirsty wernt one to shy away from going in two footed .......theres been footage on here of him doing a blunt and it wasnt the only one he did .