The Shaw tackle and red card

Still think a yellow and a stiff warning to calm down would have sufficed.

Their player wasn't hurt, we'd have got on with the game and I don't think Reading would have moaned about Shaw not getting a red.

For me it changed the game as once going in front I did feel we would have gone on to win.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Still think a yellow and a stiff warning to calm down would have sufficed.

Their player wasn't hurt, we'd have got on with the game and I don't think Reading would have moaned about Shaw not getting a red.

For me it changed the game as once going in front I did feel we would have gone on to win.

I agree.

The game wasn't at any risk of boiling over at that point, and it's not like there'd been a whole series of poor challenges that the ref should have even felt the need to impose some authority on the game in the form of a straight red.

I'd prefer refs to be of the mind to try to keep games 11 vs 11. Red cards certainly provide talking points, but they do little to improve a game. And certainly at the point of the sending off the game had been a decent battle between two sides with quite differing game plans both of whom were finding some joy in implementing them.

It's alright folk accepting the red card because ‘it's the how it is now’, and certainly it's easy enough to reason why you'd have rules designed to punish dangerous tackles, but I do wonder what the actual impact of a lot of these red cards on dangerous tackling actually is.

For one thing, we seem to hear the phrase “you can't get away with that kind of challenge anymore” a lot. Too much do we hear this in fact if red-carding such offences was meant to be having the effect of reducing such challenges in the game. We still get such challenges, but now with the addition of having more sendings off. I wonder is there a more effective way of actually reducing such tackles? Also teams playing for 60 mins with a player less than the opposition are bound to tire hugely; circumstances under which you're far more likely to get sloppy late challenges going in.

Sending players off in a game ought to be something reserved for the worst offences.

Sin-bins have been talked about before, and it's something I'd very much like to see brought into football. Shaw being put in the sin-bin for 10 minutes really would've sufficed. Instead, not only was the game as a contest spoilt, but we have a player banned for 3 games. It's just too excessive. There needs to be a more granular approach to discipline.

• Like 5
23 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

A perfect lunging pose, !! it’s a sliding tackle not a dance move. Any player running and then tackling is using excessive force ( basic laws of physics ). If he pulled out of the tackle he would have been accused of bottling it. 

As Shankly once said, football is a simple game made difficult by idiots. In this case the bods that make up ridiculous rules that are open to interpretation. 

I take it that you are not a physicist then.

Newton’s First law of Motion
A body continues in its state of rest, or of uniform motion in a straight line, except in so far as it is compelled by external impressed forces to change that state. It is also called Law of Inertia.

It says nothing about a bad tackle here

lol

• Haha 1
On 02/12/2020 at 20:49, S36 OWL said:

Yellow at most, and that would be harsh. Good old fashioned tackle. 

Miss timed, we're becoming a nanny state 😶

However, if that was on one of our players, straight red, no question.

Edited by Andrew6666
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, kirksandallowl said:

Anybody care to explain the difference between Shaws tackle & the one by Mads Anderson in the barnsley game just now. 

Thought the same mate

Just now, kirksandallowl said:

Anybody care to explain the difference between Shaws tackle & the one by Mads Anderson in the barnsley game just now. 

Yeah, there really wasn't a massive amount of difference.

And it quite rightly only got a yellow too.

2020 really does have to go down as the year our fans evolved into right cry babies crying that they’re so hard done by and everyone is out to get them

So sad to see

We used to be the funniest fans of the lot who could turn any situation into a laugh

These days it’s just make a list of everyone who’s out to get us 

We now hold the title of biggest crybaby fans in the country 

Sad times 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

2020 really does have to go down as the year our fans evolved into right cry babies crying that they’re so hard done by and everyone is out to get them

So sad to see

We used to be the funniest fans of the lot who could turn any situation into a laugh

These days it’s just make a list of everyone who’s out to get us 

Sad times 

imagine coming on a forum for football fans to moan about you fellow fans...

I was just pointing out the inconsistency of refereeing in the championship, surely if Shaw’s tackle was deemed a red card and as Pulis said you can see why it was given then surely a near identical tackle in another game should also be a red or is each game refereed to a different set of rules. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, kirksandallowl said:

imagine coming on a forum for football fans to moan about you fellow fans...

I was just pointing out the inconsistency of refereeing in the championship, surely if Shaw’s tackle was deemed a red card and as Pulis said you can see why it was given then surely a near identical tackle in another game should also be a red or is each game refereed to a different set of rules. 

I wasn’t  referring to you or your post mare

I was referring to the current state of play

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, MallorcaOwl said:

I take it that you are not a physicist then.

Newton’s First law of Motion
A body continues in its state of rest, or of uniform motion in a straight line, except in so far as it is compelled by external impressed forces to change that state. It is also called Law of Inertia.

It says nothing about a bad tackle here

lol

I take it your not a comedian either. I  cannot believe anyone would actually look that up, knowing the point I was trying to make. What is your opinion on the sending off Isaac 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, kirksandallowl said:

This is the problem isn't it. No consistency at all, even in the same game. Another big problem is players acting like they've been shot and their team mates demanding a red card. The Harris one was ludicrous, another ref could have dismissed the other player, they were both together, wriggling to get free and get up. Both players should have been booked, as should Shaw.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

This is the problem isn't it. No consistency at all, even in the same game. Another big problem is players acting like they've been shot and their team mates demanding a red card. The Harris one was ludicrous, another ref could have dismissed the other player, they were both together, wriggling to get free and get up. Both players should have been booked, as should Shaw.

Agreed 👍

2 hours ago, kirksandallowl said:

Very similar and he got a yellow card, no fuss then get on with the game.

Mind you I think Keith Stroud is one of the better referees.

image.png.a3e9218d0c14e50cff90d543bb34a499.png

3 hours ago, kirksandallowl said:

Yes.   Reading were 1-0 down, so the biscuitman feigned death and his colleagues surrounded the referee, to good effect.

In the Barnsley game, Bournemouth were 4-0 up with 20 minutes to go, so theatricals were not required, in that instant.  

• Like 3
5 hours ago, cowl said:

I agree.

The game wasn't at any risk of boiling over at that point, and it's not like there'd been a whole series of poor challenges that the ref should have even felt the need to impose some authority on the game in the form of a straight red......

i thought it was harsh but if he lets it go then thats the bench mark for the rest of the game and the next time someone makes a challenge like that  the bloke on the receiving  end may not be so lucky ..........like pulis said it gave the ref an option and he took it .the players then  knew where they stood and there wasnt another tackle like it for the rest of the game .

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i thought it was harsh but if he lets it go then thats the bench mark for the rest of the game and the next time someone makes a challenge like that  the bloke on the receiving  end may not be so lucky ..........like pulis said it gave the ref an option and he took it .the players then  knew where they stood and there wasnt another tackle like it for the rest of the game .

Not another tackle like it after that point, but more importantly, not another tackle like it beforehand either.

He could've yellow carded it and given him a stern talking to whilst also speaking to the captain. There's your benchmark.

If a ref's only way of communicating to the players where they stand with him is to issue a red then that's quite simply not good enough. And there's the real benchmark; an incompetent ref having to spoil games as his only way of establishing his control.

• Like 2
Just now, cowl said:

He could've yellow carded it and given him a stern talking to whilst also speaking to the captain. There's your benchmark.

well he could have but i doubt he'd have involved the reading captain in the discussion and he'd be quite within his rights to  say to his lads thats the benchmark .....which is fine but the ref as then got be consistent and keep the red in his pocket when they go into a tackle with the studs showing ......