The Shaw tackle and red card

Guest Willow Owl
4 hours ago, Warringtonowl said:

He is in a perfect lunging pose. It's the force used that makes it what it is.. A pleyer who lunges, with excessive force. At full speed he goes flying in, he is not in control, the fact he doesn't hit the player is irrelevant, the reading player is lucky that he didn't because if he did, that could have easily ended his season. 

A perfect lunging pose, !! it’s a sliding tackle not a dance move. Any player running and then tackling is using excessive force ( basic laws of physics ). If he pulled out of the tackle he would have been accused of bottling it. 

As Shankly once said, football is a simple game made difficult by idiots. In this case the bods that make up ridiculous rules that are open to interpretation. 

Having watched highlights of Forest Watford game there was 2 far worst tackles that resulted in just yellow cards, it was a silly challenge to make in today's rules regarding tackles though a different ref might have seen it as just a yellow card. 

In past it would have been seen as a good hard ball winning tackle.

Players like Graeme Souness and Norman Hunter would be getting sent off 20 times a season in today's game. 

2 hours ago, bradowl said:

Having watched highlights of Forest Watford game there was 2 far worst tackles that resulted in just yellow cards, it was a silly challenge to make in today's rules regarding tackles though a different ref might have seen it as just a yellow card. 

In past it would have been seen as a good hard ball winning tackle.

Players like Graeme Souness and Norman Hunter would be getting sent off 20 times a season in today's game. 

Olde fheffeld rules:; No Spitting, No scratching, No Gouging and No Hacking. That was it keep it simple !  

I think Lees body language in the background says it all really. It was a stupid challenge and if anything the stills posted do it a favour because you then can't see how quick and aggressive the challenge was.

I'd have been screaming for a red if that had come in on us, because in todays football it is a clear red.

Had it been on cameras from the 1960's all we would have seen would have been a black and white blur and we'd still be moaning, even if the opposition player left hospital with one leg.

1 hour ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:
borderline / probable red under the current climate 

1 hour ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:

Palmer applauds the tackle

And therin could lie our problem: our players seemingly don't fully understand the rules of the game they're playing, which is a scary thought.

It's one thing for fans who've never played professional football to debate whether we think it should be a red card, but the fact of the matter is that in today's game it almost certainly is, and at the very least it gives the referee a decision to make (and that's being kind).

Pulis clearly doesn't want his players going into tackles like that and has branded Shaw's actions 'stupid', yet Palmer applauded him for it!

It seems there's a bit of work to do in educating some of our players as to how he wants them to play the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

And therin could lie our problem: our players seemingly don't fully understand the rules of the game they're playing, which is a scary thought.

It's one thing for fans who've never played professional football to debate whether we think it should be a red card, but the fact of the matter is that in today's game it almost certainly is, and at the very least it gives the referee a decision to make (and that's being kind).

Pulis clearly doesn't want his players going into tackles like that and has branded Shaw's actions 'stupid', yet Palmer applauded him for it!

It seems there's a bit of work to do in educating some of our players as to how he wants them to play the game.

respectfully, it’s a great tackle ... particularly, I accept, if you’re over 40 years old 

players know a bad tackle (and I played semi pro which meant I got paid beer tokens for playing)

that’s not an example of a bad bad tackle, nor reckless 

Pulis being diplomatic imho knowing his character ... he will love Shaw’s bite, just want him to reign It in a smidgen, particularly in the right area of the park ... after all Pulis spoke about SWFC being good characters without having the spice to exceed 

but I fully acknowledge that some referees may see that as a red today 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:

respectfully, it’s a great tackle ... particularly, I accept, if you’re over 40 years old 

players know a bad tackle (and I played semi pro which meant I got paid beer tokens for playing)

that’s not an example of a bad bad tackle, nor reckless 

Pulis being diplomatic imho knowing his character ... he will love Shaw’s bite, just want him to reign It in a smidgen, particularly in the right area of the park ... after all Pulis spoke about SWFC being good characters without having the spice to exceed 

but I fully acknowledge that some referees may see that as a red today 

It's not a great tackle in the context of current professional football though, is it? 

There's no point us applying the rules of 25 years ago or what we might get away with playing Sunday League - in the Championship in 2020, that tackle leads to a red card more often than not.

I don't think Pulis was being diplomatic in calling it 'stupid' - he's simply calling a spade a spade. There's no way he'll want his players launching into tackles like that, as it reduces us to ten men and makes life much harder for ourselves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

We will all see if its a great tackle or not if we appeal the red card and get it rescinded. 

We won't. So there is everyone's answer.

Two separate things.

We've had some crazy bad sending offs in the past that haven't been overturned on appeal, all teams have. It has to be way beyond up for debate to be nailed on to be overturned.

22 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Not at all

It was a definite red but some of our fans just deny any and everything we do wrong, and post how everyone is out to get us just to look like bigger/better fans to other fans on the internet 

It’s the equivalent of wearing Stone Island and bragging about how much coke you took and how many blokes you smacked on the way to the match

It was a definite red

I know that.
The referee knew that

Shaw knew that

Pulis admitted and said that

THEY know that

So basically we all know that but a few are trying to act all super fan and deny it in public 

I've seen them given , but I've seen worse not given. 

Although I can see a red was justified, I can also see that a yellow and a talking was also a possibility and would have also calmed him down.

Because the ref gave himself time to think it suggests it was a borderline decision for him and could have gone either way.

I've no complaints that it went against us.

6 hours ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:

watch at the very end .. Palmer applauds the tackle

borderline / probable red under the current climate ... but all day long in old school terms it’s a great tackle ... win ball and leave your mark 

if my young un did that tackle on a Sunday morning and got a red ... I’d be apoplectic 

Unfortunately that’s  because Sunday morning referees mostly don’t know the rules or are scared to give reds. You get full blown punch ups in the pitch at times and all the referee will say is don’t do that again.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

TP: “Five red cards is not acceptable. It’s two poor challenges for the ones in my time.

I like Shaw, he’s got really good feet for a big lad and could become a really player.

He’ll have learned a lesson from what happened”

someone on sky did say  that he made contact with the ball first so it shouldnt have been red but to be fair im getting on a bit and dont understand a lot of todays rules and how they are applied so please forgive my ignorance.I think a good new rule would be to fine any manager or coaching staff yelling at officials and any players screaming like girls and clutching their faces,counting their teeth and wiping away imaginary blood.Such actions are bringing the game in to disrepute. 

16 minutes ago, pioowl said:

someone on sky did say  that he made contact with the ball first so it shouldnt have been red but to be fair im getting on a bit and dont understand a lot of todays rules and how they are applied so please forgive my ignorance.I think a good new rule would be to fine any manager or coaching staff yelling at officials and any players screaming like girls and clutching their faces,counting their teeth and wiping away imaginary blood.Such actions are bringing the game in to disrepute. 

P.S- Another idea for a new rule-if theres no blood it cant be a foul!

Still think a yellow and a stiff warning to calm down would have sufficed.

Their player wasn't hurt, we'd have got on with the game and I don't think Reading would have moaned about Shaw not getting a red.

For me it changed the game as once going in front I did feel we would have gone on to win.

• Like 2