• Rockstar Toronto
    • Runecraft, Ltd.
  • Publisher

• Rockstar Games
  • Themes

• Crime
  • Released

• About

Grand Theft Auto: London 1969 was the first mission pack to be released for Grand Theft Auto.

Grand Theft Auto: London 1969

About

Grand Theft Auto: London 1969 was the first mission pack to be released for Grand Theft Auto.

Description

Grand Theft Auto: London 1969 is the second game in the Grand Theft Auto series. It is an expansion/mission pack for the original game and comes with 32 new missions and 30 new vehicles. The game features Cockney slang in place of some in-game text, for example "Busted!" is now "You're nicked", and "You're brown bread", which is Cockney rhyming slang for "You're dead," replaces "Wasted!" when you are killed.

Gameplay is relatively similar to the original GTA, with missions delivered via payphone in exchange for cash and a multiplier bonus. Each level is beaten when a set score is reached.

Screenshots

This page uses the giant bomb API.

Yep. A mate had GTA 1 and he got this expansion pack. Played it at his house and then when GTA2 came out i got that for the PC. Loved all the Yakuza stuff in that. The London one was a bit rubbish to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It reminds me of The Getaway series. I remember playing the first and it was great, but hard game as a kid.

The gameplay etc. looking quite good in the first, judging it's age. 

Edited by Incognito Owl

"The trouble with "lessons from history" is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins."   

"Girls are simply wonderful. Just to stand on a corner and watch them go past is delightful. They don't walk. At least not what we do when we walk. I don't know how to describe it, but it's much more complex and utterly delightful. They don't move just their feet; everything moves and in different directions . . . and all of it graceful."  Starship Troopers, Amen!        

On 05/02/2021 at 11:39, Incognito Owl said:

It reminds me of The Getaway series. I remember playing the first and it was great, but hard game as a kid.

The gameplay etc. looking quite good in the first, judging it's age. 

Conpletely forgot about this game! Thought it was great but as you say found it quite hard as a kid. The graphics were great from what I remember but the game could be frustratingly slow to play. Seemed more realistic, don’t think you could just sprint around and chop everyone up with a chainsaw like in GTA lol 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, robowl4life said:

Conpletely forgot about this game! Thought it was great but as you say found it quite hard as a kid. The graphics were great from what I remember but the game could be frustratingly slow to play. Seemed more realistic, don’t think you could just sprint around and chop everyone up with a chainsaw like in GTA lol 

lol

I've found this: https://www.cbr.com/ps2-getaway-reboot-ps5/ from 28th of January, a good small read on it possibly coming to PS5 with a remake from Sony London. It talks about GTA haha and it being more realistic etc. for it's time. Also I've seen that Sony has trademarked the Soho Engine, with Soho being the name of the dev studio who made the original game and who got merged into the new Sony London Studio: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Studio From the link above it also says it's been in development for well over a year. So we migh get it next year for it's 20th anniversary.

• Like 2

"The trouble with "lessons from history" is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins."   

"Girls are simply wonderful. Just to stand on a corner and watch them go past is delightful. They don't walk. At least not what we do when we walk. I don't know how to describe it, but it's much more complex and utterly delightful. They don't move just their feet; everything moves and in different directions . . . and all of it graceful."  Starship Troopers, Amen!        

2 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

lol

I've found this: https://www.cbr.com/ps2-getaway-reboot-ps5/ from 28th of January, a good small read on it possibly coming to PS5 with a remake from Sony London. It talks about GTA haha and it being more realistic etc. for it's time. Also I've seen that Sony has trademarked the Soho Engine, with Soho being the name of the dev studio who made the original game and who got merged into the new Sony London Studio: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Studio From the link above it also says it's been in development for well over a year. So we migh get it next year for it's 20th anniversary.

Also it's been said LS are working on a big title.

10 hours ago, Incognito Owl said:

lol

Interesting! Might have to get a ps5 after all.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, robowl4life said:

Interesting! Might have to get a ps5 after all.

If we can get one haha.

On 02/12/2020 at 14:38, @owlstalk said:

Has anyone played this? I didn't even know it was a thing

I remember it.  I think I might have got it free with a magazine or something.

It was alright.  GTA1 with an 'Italian Job' style skin over it.  Didn't really feel like London due to the fact everything had to be on a grid system due to the limitations of the engine.

I was a big fan of The Getaway games, remember the visuals seemed very realistic for the time, loved how you could play as the good guys and the bad guys in the cop/robber scenario 🙂

• Like 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Paul.. said:

I was a big fan of The Getaway games, remember the visuals seemed very realistic for the time, loved how you could play as the good guys and the bad guys in the cop/robber scenario 🙂

wow, that seems to have unlocked a memory I’d forgotten I had. 

Weren’t there certain cut scenes, like a particular car crash, where you would switch sides / characters afterwards 

I’d also never heard of ‘yardies’ up until then

10 hours ago, Miffed said:

wow, that seems to have unlocked a memory I’d forgotten I had. 

Weren’t there certain cut scenes, like a particular car crash, where you would switch sides / characters afterwards 

I can't remember exactly how it played out but yeah it switched the characters as the story progressed 🙂