U23s v Forest (a)

Guest Smackavolley
53 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Have we given up our search for strikers? Would have thought this would have been another good opportunity to have a look at a young trialist 

In practically every U23 game there's been trialists involved. Most of those have been strikers. I thought they'd take Simmonds but he must have demanded too much. The rest of them? There's a reason they were on trial. I'm sure they'll look at more but nothing wrong with giving U18's experience.

16 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Better late than never

Surprised to see Brennan on the bench,  thought he was still suspended (obviously not)

Is that Thompson as DM alongside Waldock.

He was playing CB but looked a little small in games I've seen. The lack of depth and quality is scary.

No Hidalgo again, haven't seen him pick up an injury. 

6 minutes ago, Themagiccap said:

Is that Thompson as DM alongside Waldock.

He was playing CB but looked a little small in games I've seen. The lack of depth and quality is scary.

No Hidalgo again, haven't seen him pick up an injury. 

I wouldn't be too hard on those lads

Forest are currently top of the section with 7 wins from nine before last night

They'd also scored 27 goals in the process

These lads held them until conceding in time added on,  I'd bet they all felt gutted

As for the squad in general

There were six changes from the last starting XI

And I'm guessing four of them - Penney, Shaw, Hunt & Dele-Bashiru - were kept back for midweek 1st team duty

If it were me,  I'd have played 'em last night - but there you go,  that's just my opinion

8 minutes ago, Themagiccap said:

It's not an attack on an individual but in terms of the squad investment as a whole. Throughout the club system. you can't imagine many if any of them having a decent championship career long term 

Honestly,  who's to say?

Who would've seen that young lad from Brum being sold to Germany for a crazy fee and then be given his England debut a few

months later?

He played for an average U18 side two years ago and would've been up against some of last night's team - who also happened

to win the PDL2 title that year

I think it has more to do with earning the trust of managers and coaches and making the most of opportunities

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Honestly,  who's to say?

Who would've seen that young lad from Brum being sold to Germany for a crazy fee and then be given his England debut a few

months later?

He played for an average U18 side two years ago and would've been up against some of last night's team - who also happened

I think it has more to do with earning the trust of managers and coaches and making the most of opportunities

Plus the system has already produced half a dozen players for the squad, a championship squad. That’s 6 places we don’t need to recruit for

• Like 2

Just now, morganowl said:

see we tried the new system at u23 level try to get a 0-0 because we are bloody hopeless .has there ever been a year where all 4 teams at different  levels are bottom or as good as 

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this is a big concern for me. These two recent appointments though, will not be good for our young players development, in my opinion anyway

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Plus the system has already produced half a dozen players for the squad, a championship squad. That’s 6 places we don’t need to recruit for

Y' know,  I'd love to see Alex Hunt get a good run in our 1st team

But not alongside Barry Bannan.  He'd need to play INSTEAD of Bannan

And I honestly can't see that happening right now,  especially given our current predicament

Liam Shaw might be better placed to step up,  probably thanks to his size and versatility

I'd also have picked Conor Grant as 'the one to watch' but maybe fitness has counted against him?  Dunno

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this is a big concern for me. These two recent appointments though, will not be good for our young players development, in my opinion anyway

Just out of interest,  you think Bellingham would've enjoyed his meteoric rise to fame if Monk had stayed at Brum?

It was Clotet who gambled and gave the teenager 40 odd appearances in a poor to average Championship side

Doesn't matter how promising a young player is,  he needs the games to show what he's capable of

Guest Mcguigan
14 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Just out of interest,  you think Bellingham would've enjoyed his meteoric rise to fame if Monk had stayed at Brum?

It was Clotet who gambled and gave the teenager 40 odd appearances in a poor to average Championship side

Doesn't matter how promising a young player is,  he needs the games to show what he's capable of

Said it a before, if Monk stopped being a being a 12 month manager and dragging his back room staff all over the country , he may have actually achieved something. 

We needed to have not just Monk and Beattie but Clotet also. He was the footballing brain of the three. 

17 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Probably not, no. Think he was an outstanding talent though. I’m hoping Pulis is just a short term appointment until the end of the season, and we can then get a more enlightened manager in who encourages the players to play football.

3 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Said it a before, if Monk stopped being a being a 12 month manager and dragging his back room staff all over the country , he may have actually achieved something. 

We needed to have not just Monk and Beattie but Clotet also. He was the footballing brain of the three. 

We'll never know

But the stats don't lie

Monk's managerial record (with us) was appalling

Would things have improved over time?   They could hardly have got worse 

1 hour ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Honestly,  who's to say?

months later?

All who follow youth football.

Jude Bellingham had a reputation as one of brightest talents in world football even before he made his Brum debut.  

Playing for England u-16's he was head and shoulders above everyone else.

7 minutes ago, malek said:

All who follow youth football.

Jude Bellingham had a reputation as one of brightest talents in world football even before he made his Brum debut.  

Playing for England u-16's he was head and shoulders above everyone else.

You're probably right,  and the money Dortmund paid may prove to be a 'snip'

But I doubt he'd be where he is now without that run of games in Birmingham's 1st team

7 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

You're probably right,  and the money Dortmund paid may prove to be a 'snip'

But I doubt he'd be where he is now without that run of games in Birmingham's 1st team

I think you will see a lot of UK based youngsters playing on the continent, which goes to show the progress we have made in this country There has been a massive change with the way clubs do things in recent years, with more emphasis put on ball work. Young British players are now comfortable on the ball, not something you could say 10 years ago. That’s one of the reasons I’m so against the appointment of managers like Monk and Pulis. Pulis might well get us organised enough to steer our way clear of relegation in the short term. In the longer term though, that style of football will set us back years

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Who runs the U23s these days? 

Lee Bullen,  although I doubt he does the job single-handed

The way Pulis was talking,  it sounds like Craig Gardner might have some involvement from the academy upwards

But I haven't heard or read anything to suggest changes have been made