One year ago ..

5 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Yep Woodgate was a disaster. No-one argues with that.  They scored 48 goals last season. 1 fewer than Pulis's much more free-scoring side.

Goals scored is a reasonable measure of how entertaining Pulis's Boro were to watch - or at least that's what my Boro mates tell me. 23 goals in 23 games at home. 

Enjoy your football.

What's with the passive-aggressive sign off?!

:duntmatter:

All I'm pointing out is that Pulis can't be blamed for the fact Middlesbrough turned to sh*t after he left - that was on Woodgate.

Which seems fair enough, surely?

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

What's with the passive-aggressive sign off?!

All I'm pointing out is that Pulis can't be blamed for the fact Middlesbrough turned to sh*t after he left - that was on Woodgate.

Which seems fair enough, surely?

Just channeling my inner DA. Also it seems enjoyment for many/most simply comes from the result so Pulis is a grand chap because the more aesthetic side of the game doesn't bother him. I guess I put you in the Pulis camp - it was simply acknowledging that there's more than one way to manage a football team and Pulis is what a lot of Wednesday fans are happy with. I ungrudgingly respect that. It's not for me but that's just how it is. 

You described Boro as being less free scoring under Woodgate which I thought was quite funny. It can be Pulis to blame if the intention was always to try and go to a more expansive style  - something his sides seem incapable of. Just like Carlos gets a lot of the blame for our decline even though in his last full season we finished in the play-off positions.  

But it's hijacking the thread really which is about how well-placed we were last season going into Christmas. 

30 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Just channeling my inner DA. Also it seems enjoyment for many/most simply comes from the result so Pulis is a grand chap because the more aesthetic side of the game doesn't bother him. I guess I put you in the Pulis camp - it was simply acknowledging that there's more than one way to manage a football team and Pulis is what a lot of Wednesday fans are happy with. I ungrudgingly respect that. It's not for me but that's just how it is. 

You described Boro as being less free scoring under Woodgate which I thought was quite funny. It can be Pulis to blame if the intention was always to try and go to a more expansive style  - something his sides seem incapable of. Just like Carlos gets a lot of the blame for our decline even though in his last full season we finished in the play-off positions.  

But it's hijacking the thread really which is about how well-placed we were last season going into Christmas. 

What does you 'put (me) in the Pulis camp' mean?

Somehow 'Boro were less free-scoring under Woodgate than they'd been under Pulis - it took Warnock to get them scoring more than a goal a game again in those last eight matches to help keep them up.

It was the thread starter who initially suggested 'Boro's struggles under Woodgate were Pulis' fault, so I'm sure he won't mind us continuing the discussion.

As for that notion, I simply can't subscribe to it: Woodgate inherited a team Pulis had in and around the top six during his time there and had them careering towards relegation the next season. It would be quite unreasonable to lay the blame for that at Pulis' door, especially when you consider what their chairman had to say about the job he did there:

“Over the past 18 months Tony has been proactive, not only in the ambition to win football matches and promotion to the Premier League, but also in addressing our financial position in order to comply and respect the Championship Fair Play criteria. He has ensured that the club is stable and strong for the future. He leaves us in excellent condition."

5 hours ago, mcmigo said:

but as he thinks about 2021 , Tony Pulis should focus on what made us a good team for that first half of the season last season under Garry Monk and Lee Bullen. We largely have the same players, save for starters fox, fletcher and Hutchinson, and the subs in that first half of the season  Murphy and Nuhiu.

That list includes our 3 top scorers for last season.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

What does you 'put (me) in the Pulis camp' mean?

Somehow 'Boro were less free-scoring under Woodgate than they'd been under Pulis - it took Warnock to get them scoring more than a goal a game again in those last eight matches to help keep them up.

It was the thread starter who initially suggested 'Boro's struggles under Woodgate were Pulis' fault, so I'm sure he won't mind us continuing the discussion.

As for that notion, I simply can't subscribe to it: Woodgate inherited a team Pulis had in and around the top six during his time there and had them careering towards relegation the next season. It would be quite unreasonable to lay the blame for that at Pulis' door, especially when you consider what their chairman had to say about the job he did there:

“Over the past 18 months Tony has been proactive, not only in the ambition to win football matches and promotion to the Premier League, but also in addressing our financial position in order to comply and respect the Championship Fair Play criteria. He has ensured that the club is stable and strong for the future. He leaves us in excellent condition."

They weren't less free scoring under Woodgate - they were even worse at scoring. And the seeds of that could have been under Pulis - he certainly didn't play exciting football. I was just speculating really. I don't know enough about them other than my mates telling me it was enough to put them off football for life.  I understand why people think differently here given the situation we are in but they aren't making it up - they genuinely despise how he played football at Boro and they are good lads who aren't just saying it to annoy me. 

Of course Gibson said nice things about Pulis. Didn't stop him not renewing his contract. Most chairmen do say that about managers when they go. Although Bruce, Monk and Pulis ironically are rare exceptions when it comes to civil partings in the past.  

If we turn into West Ham c1966 I'll hold my hands up. I'm just sick of being bored - and that predates Pulis. I watch on Sky but I don't bother with iFollow and I never thought I would think like that but the sheer drudgery has done me in. A new manager was a chance to change that and we decided to to accentuate the dullness. I can completely see why and I respect that people are happy to go with it although any stuff eulogising Pulis and his wily PR quotes does my head in a bit. If he plays to type it's just not for me. Football isn't cheap and given the travelling to pick people up that goes around it it's pretty time consuming. Being bored on top of that just isn't worth it - I have a season ticket for next year and a new manager was a chance to look ahead to better football for the money I've already committed. Instead I can see - especially on a cold, wet Wednesday - I'll choose not to travel down the M1. 

3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

They weren't less free scoring under Woodgate - they were even worse at scoring. And the seeds of that could have been under Pulis - he certainly didn't play exciting football. I was just speculating really. I don't know enough about them other than my mates telling me it was enough to put them off football for life.  I understand why people think differently here given the situation we are in but they aren't making it up - they genuinely despise how he played football at Boro and they are good lads who aren't just saying it to annoy me. 

Of course Gibson said nice things about Pulis. Didn't stop him not renewing his contract. Most chairmen do say that about managers when they go. Although Bruce, Monk and Pulis ironically are rare exceptions when it comes to civil partings in the past.  

If we turn into West Ham c1966 I'll hold my hands up. I'm just sick of being bored - and that predates Pulis. I watch on Sky but I don't bother with iFollow and I never thought I would think like that but the sheer drudgery has done me in. A new manager was a chance to change that and we decided to to accentuate the dullness. I can completely see why and I respect that people are happy to go with it although any stuff eulogising Pulis and his wily PR quotes does my head in a bit. If he plays to type it's just not for me. Football isn't cheap and given the travelling to pick people up that goes around it it's pretty time consuming. Being bored on top of that just isn't worth it - I have a season ticket for next year and a new manager was a chance to look ahead to better football for the money I've already committed. Instead I can see - especially on a cold, wet Wednesday - I'll choose not to travel down the M1. 

Which is fair enough.

I'm not quite sure how me saying that 'Boro being sh*t the season after Pulis left was Woodgate's issue rather than his led us here, but there you go!

2 hours ago, rickygoo said:

Goals scored is a reasonable measure of how entertaining Pulis's Boro were to watch - or at least that's what my Boro mates tell me. 23 goals in 23 games at home. 

That sounds like samba football compared to what we've had to put up with for the last year. 

2 hours ago, rickygoo said:

Yep Woodgate was a disaster. No-one argues with that.  They scored 48 goals last season. 1 fewer than Pulis's much more free-scoring side.

Enjoy your football.

How many goals have we scored in our last 23 home games?

I bet MIddlesbrough would have been delighted to finish 5th or 7th last season as they did under Pulis. 

41 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

How many goals have we scored in our last 23 home games?

I bet MIddlesbrough would have been delighted to finish 5th or 7th last season as they did under Pulis. 

I get it you like him. I don’t. I’m sure we both have basically sound reasons based  on what we personally admire about and get from football. We are essentially speaking different languages. 

6 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I get it you like him. I don’t. I’m sure we both have basically sound reasons based  on what we personally admire about and get from football. We are essentially speaking different languages. 

I don't think we are. I said before we appointed anyone that I would much prefer someone like Cook to Pulis just for a chance to play some front foot purposeful football. Like you, I am bored of being bored of watching us and Saturday was no better than the previous 15-20 home games. Reading have had a decent start to the season but have looked suspect at the back recently, if we cant muster some attacking threat on Wednesday then I wont be impressed.

At least I can watch on Sky & save knocking another £10 of my apparently already made contribution to next seasons season ticket though!