Makeshift Strikers

On 30/11/2020 at 15:52, Lincs Owl said:

Everyone talks about Warhurst.

But we had a centre-half in the 60's who we played as a stand-in centreforward against Arsenal one Saturday afternoon.    We won 4-0 and he scored a hat-trick.

Bit slow and ran like a donkey, most fans said at the time...... so we finished up selling him to Middlesbrough for a measly £20k or so.

Finished up scoring 192 goals for them inc cups, in nearly 500 games.    True story, dat.

Hickton was a fullback surely.

19 minutes ago, davetherivelinowl said:

If I remember correctly

Hickton started at centre-half (but he was playing centre-forward in the reserves by the time I started watching - he was my first Owls hero)

Mel started in midfield

Warhurst, unlike all our current defenders, had an exquisite first touch

His first touch was quite often a shot

The problem with us always referencing Warhurst is that he was very much the exception to the rule. Most defenders going up front do well because they become a good target man. Lots of headers and physical presence etc etc. Warhurst was all about pace off the shoulder of the opposition centre-back, great line-breaking runs, and mad shooting angles. Also he had Waddle, Sheridan, Bright, Bart-Williams etc setting them up so without wishing to belittle his achievements he had plenty of quality around him. Pulis needs a target man.

Edited by Jimjamowl

On 30/11/2020 at 15:52, Lincs Owl said:

Everyone talks about Warhurst.

But we had a centre-half in the 60's who we played as a stand-in centreforward against Arsenal one Saturday afternoon.    We won 4-0 and he scored a hat-trick.

Bit slow and ran like a donkey, most fans said at the time...... so we finished up selling him to Middlesbrough for a measly £20k or so.

Finished up scoring 192 goals for them inc cups, in nearly 500 games.    True story, dat.

Is it John Hickton you're thinking of?

On 30/11/2020 at 22:27, Shetland Owl said:

Didn't Bullen play up front as I think Sterland did as well at some stage

Sterland played up front on his own in a game for Eustace. Hirst was sat on the subs bench ffs. Those times were almost as depressing as today. The only thing was it didn't last long as Atkinson came in shortly after.

On 01/12/2020 at 11:41, Bannofan said:

Tony Crane,

A spell up front during the  dark, dark  days.

To be honest, got loads of support from the fans who could see he had put his hand up to try and do a job for the team.

Think he scored a last minute equaliser against Bradford away? 

Sealed our win at the South Africa Road end with a last minute second goal, completed by a knee slide into the back of the net. Well photographed. Oh v QPR by the way !

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

10 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Sealed our win at the South Africa Road end with a last minute second goal, completed by a knee slide into the back of the net. Well photographed. Oh v QPR by the way !

Cheers Nev..not sure why I remember Bradford. Cup game?  I'm going to have to look that up!

7 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

Cheers Nev..not sure why I remember Bradford. Cup game?  I'm going to have to look that up!

Got it!

Tuesday 18th March 2003   Bradford  1 - 1  Sheffield Wednesday  ... Crane scored an equaliser in the 82nd minute !