Makeshift Strikers

4 hours ago, MoorfOwl said:

I mentioned a while ago that when all our centre backs are fit we have good headers and hoofers of the ball who won't get on the pitch in their preferred position and might be able to do a Warhurst.  This suggestion attracted derision, but it still seems to me that no-one knew Warhurst would be able to do a Warhurst until he did it.  Ideally you still want your best centre backs playing centre back, so I don't think you want to try Iorfa up front.  On the other hand I would not like to be the opposing defender who has to mark a big unit like JVA, and he could help create the space in the area that Rhodes needs. (Cue more scorn, I suppose, but I'm only giving my honest opinion).

This could work

31 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

This....

Warhurst was a success as a forward because he had pace and energy. Oh and he could finish.

The only one of our defenders that I can see possibly having the attributes to play as a forward would be Iorfa.

Mainly because of his pace, power and height but although he could be lacking in the finishing skills required.

Warhurst had something that I’ve never previously seen in a defender playing up front. Yes he had great pace, especially over the first few yards, something he actually used to better effect up front, than he did in defence. The thing that made him such a successful conversion though, was his ability to shoot from any angle. He would get his shots off from the most unlikely positions, often taking the keeper by surprise. Most stop gap conversions were just a big lad shoved up front for a physical presence Having said all that, he had his limitations, mainly that he didn’t think like a striker, Can remember talking to Brighty, who was saying he had no idea about bringing others into the game, just looking to get his shot away. He was certainly effective, for a while at least, but to my mind, never really looked like a striker. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Warhurst had something that I’ve never previously seen in a defender playing up front. Yes he had great pace, especially over the first few yards, something he actually used to better effect up front, than he did in defence. The thing that made him such a successful conversion though, was his ability to shoot from any angle. He would get his shots off from the most unlikely positions, often taking the keeper by surprise. Most stop gap conversions were just a big lad shoved up front for a physical presence Having said all that, he had his limitations, mainly that he didn’t think like a striker, Can remember talking to Brighty, who was saying he had no idea about bringing others into the game, just looking to get his shot away. He was certainly effective, for a while at least, but to my mind, never really looked like a striker. 

Yes. I remember the one at Blackburn in the league cup. Incredibly tight angle and smashed it into the roof of the net.

Why are we so obsessed with sticking defenders up front? 

When was the last time a defender went up front and became a consistent scorer. If it was as easy as being tall and good in the air then why aren't Chiellini, Van Dijk, Harry Maguire, Gérard Pique etc all breaking scoring records?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Everyone talks about Warhurst.

But we had a centre-half in the 60's who we played as a stand-in centreforward against Arsenal one Saturday afternoon.    We won 4-0 and he scored a hat-trick.

Bit slow and ran like a donkey, most fans said at the time...... so we finished up selling him to Middlesbrough for a measly £20k or so.

Finished up scoring 192 goals for them inc cups, in nearly 500 games.    True story, dat.

John Hickton?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, geriatricowl said:

Did we not convert John Hickton from centre half to a striker back in the 60s before selling him to Middlesborough?

Yes, I think he'd scored 19 goals for us by the time Stan Anderson picked him up for Boro.  But I remember watching him in the reserves many times, where he generally played centre half.  Or centre back as they say in this new fangled lingo. What's a leg beater by the way?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jesus said:

I would use Harris. His pace will keep their defense a yard further back. The same way West Ham use Antonio. 

I'd try this ^

It might be worth a try, with Windass or Paterson, Bannan and Reach in behind. Harris' pace might push the opposites back and make space for others. Actually, I think in January we might bring in two strikers, one with pace like Gayle for example and one in the more of a target man mold like Austin or Pigott or someone like that? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CalmJimmers said:

Why are we so obsessed with sticking defenders up front? 

When was the last time a defender went up front and became a consistent scorer. If it was as easy as being tall and good in the air then why aren't Chiellini, Van Dijk, Harry Maguire, Gérard Pique etc all breaking scoring records?

Why? Because we are desperate. That’s why.

Tony Crane,

A spell up front during the  dark, dark  days.

To be honest, got loads of support from the fans who could see he had put his hand up to try and do a job for the team.

Think he scored a last minute equaliser against Bradford away? 

If we had cover at the back I would give Borner a go up front, he seem to have a right shot on him though rarely is it on target but with practice his accuracy would get better, he is a good header of the ball and he is big enough to hold the ball up add to that he has a lot better control of the ball than Lees and JVA.

I am have tempted fate for the Reading game haven't I. garymegson