Makeshift Strikers

Paul Warhurst famously switched from centre back to centre forward. 

As it stands we have Jordan Rhodes as our only striker. I don’t see Paterson as a striker, he’s midfield. We need more strikers until the transfer window, so who are the candidates? 

Luke Shaw?

Iorfa? 
Reach (again)?

Who could step in?

I mentioned a while ago that when all our centre backs are fit we have good headers and hoofers of the ball who won't get on the pitch in their preferred position and might be able to do a Warhurst.  This suggestion attracted derision, but it still seems to me that no-one knew Warhurst would be able to do a Warhurst until he did it.  Ideally you still want your best centre backs playing centre back, so I don't think you want to try Iorfa up front.  On the other hand I would not like to be the opposing defender who has to mark a big unit like JVA, and he could help create the space in the area that Rhodes needs. (Cue more scorn, I suppose, but I'm only giving my honest opinion).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Jeez desperate times

Innit. 

When was the last time we put a centre back up front though for last 10 mins...? Used to be a regular thing. Is that how Warhurst started? 

Part of me is thinking Van Aken could do a job. The other part is saying absolutely no chance! He’s got a good left foot that’s for sure. 

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
1 hour ago, Concrete Owl said:

What’s the lad we signed from Everton like ? Adadoyin or summat. 

52 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

injured

Perfect.

I'd put Harris up top along side Rhodes. I know his finishing isn't great, but his pace will be scarey and it'll make space for others.

Rhodes - Harris

Brown

Bannan - Paterson

Luongo

Penney - Borner - Lees - Palmer
Wildsmith

Full backs push on and Luongo drops deeper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Everyone talks about Warhurst.

But we had a centre-half in the 60's who we played as a stand-in centreforward against Arsenal one Saturday afternoon.    We won 4-0 and he scored a hat-trick.

Bit slow and ran like a donkey, most fans said at the time...... so we finished up selling him to Middlesbrough for a measly £20k or so.

Finished up scoring 192 goals for them inc cups, in nearly 500 games.    True story, dat.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t see any signs that any of our defenders might have hidden striking attributes

This....

Warhurst was a success as a forward because he had pace and energy. Oh and he could finish.

The only one of our defenders that I can see possibly having the attributes to play as a forward would be Iorfa.

Mainly because of his pace, power and height but although he could be lacking in the finishing skills required.