The Back 4/5 - When all fit?

Guest domSWFC

Guest domSWFC

Who makes the cut? 

Flint - is a big, experienced "Pulis type" centre back. 

Iorfa -  our most talented defender, but can be effective at right back, and there gives us more height than any other option there. 

Lees - experienced and much improved form of late.

Van Aken - like a new signing this season. Raw, but big, athletic and comfortable on the ball.

Palmer - versatile across the backline. Solid defensively. 

Odubajo - quick, good on the ball, much improved this season, but occasional caught out defensively. 

Borner - Solid, no nonsense, brave, been iffy at times but much improved of late. Excellent many times last season. 

Dunkley - unknown in a Wednesday shirt, but strong, good in the air and mobile. 

Penney - young prospect but good going forward, with a good cross and decent shot. 

Urhoghide - Young, raw talent that is mobile and strong. Superb debut against a premier league side, calamitous follow up performance. 

Who makes the cut for you? Who do you think Pulis picks?  

Edited by domSWFC

442 is have palmer, iorfa, flint and penny. 

5 at back id go for palmer, iorfa, flint, jva and penney.

Lees is reliable but limited, Borners form is iffy but i like him, and I'm still not convinced Dunkley isn't a fictional human being created by Wednesdays social media team.

Not sure I'd like to see it myself, but it wouldn't surprise me if Pulis sees Iorfa as a right back.

He's got all the attributes to play that role in a structured Pulis system. 

Playing Iorfa at full back, allows us to essentially pick four genuine threats from set pieces (Iorfa, 2 x centre halves, Paterson), which is always a big part of Pulis' arsenal. 

But from a personal point of view, I'd like Iorfa to continue to make the centre back spot his own, and develop into the Premier League centre half he has the potential to.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, domSWFC said:

Who makes the cut? 

Flint - is a big, experienced "Pulis type" centre back. 

Iorfa -  our most talented defender, but can be effective at right back, and there gives us more height than any other option there. 

Lees - experienced and much improved form of late.

Van Aken - like a new signing this season. Raw, but big, athletic and comfortable on the ball.

Palmer - versatile across the backline. Solid defensively. 

Odubajo - quick, good on the ball, much improved this season, but occasional caught out defensively. 

Borner - Solid, no nonsense, brave, been iffy at times but much improved of late. Excellent many times last season. 

Dunkley - unknown in a Wednesday shirt, but strong, good in the air and mobile. 

Penney - young prospect but good going forward, with a good cross and decent shot. 

Urhoghide - Young, raw talent that is mobile and strong. Superb debut against a premier league side, calamitous follow up performance. 

Who makes the cut for you? Who do you think Pulis picks?  

All of the above plus a keeper 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, torryowl said:

he;s played nearly every game ,we arnt shipping goals .....whats he done wrong ?

I ask myself this same question. It’s odd. He looks a poor defender and yet our defence isn’t conceding. 

With Joost - P11 GA8 (and one of them was after his red card). 

It’s hard to make a case for dropping him.

He is very tall and has a long throw and quite a sweet left foot.

But he’s surprisingly sluggish, and prone to key errors. Swansea’s goal was down to him standing off Ayew and getting turned very easily and naively, although by a very good striker. Against Millwall he slipped twice allowing good chances, the second gifting an unmissable header to Smith in the six yard box - which he somehow missed.

Pulis seems to favour him over Penney, suggesting that despite being a left-footer, he isn’t fancied. I even wonder if Palmer and Moses might be higher up the left-back pecking order than Matt.

I think Dom gets into any back four in the division, let alone ours. Plus, we know the importance of height and power to Pulis.

I expect we’ll see this defence once Dom is fit:-

Iorfa  Lees  Borner  Van Aken/Palmer

• Like 2

I'd like to see Iorfa and Flint together at centre back, with Palmer and a new full back. We've got good strength and cover at centre back.

Full back needs strengthening, I'd also bring in another defensive holding midfielder in front of the defence too.

However, it's the attacking areas of the pitch that clearly need the most strengthening. We need to replace Murphy and Fletcher's effectiveness and goals, we need two strikers and a winger.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I would pick a back 4 of: Odubajo Iorfa Borner Penney and a back 5 of Odubajo Iorfa Flint Borner Penney.

Pulis i think will pick Iorfa Flint Borner van Aken in a 4 and Add palmer in a 5.

What I would do come the end of the season:

Flint - 31 and loss of form at Cardiff, let go. Has been decent so far at us tho. 

Iorfa -  New contact now play CH build round him. 

Lees - Let go

Van Aken - Let go

Palmer - Let go. Never been good enough for this level 

Odubajo - Keep, I quite like him.

Borner - Think he'll go back to Germany. 

Dunkley - No idea.  

Penney - Keep. Left back of the team

Urhoghide - Loan Out

• Like 1