Borner in midfield?

Guest FoxOwl12

Guest FoxOwl12

What do any of you reckon, when we have all the big lads back in defence, about moving Borner up as a defensive midfielder. He reads the game well, stays on his feet, a good passer, and is mobile. 

Too slow on the ball at times he will have his pockets pinched too much 

borner is a centre back only thing I’d consider him doing ( and we’ve much better options ) is if pulis is going for cbs across the back four replacing van aken as the lb center back with him 

• Love 1

Midfield is starting to develop. I'd play Luongo, Paterson and Bannan because they can all run, tackle and two of them have physical presence while Bannan can pick a pass. 

Not saying there aren't better options out there but of the players we currently have available i'd go with them.

When Izzy brown is fit then we can mix and match.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

We'd be better off playing a flat back four or playing our strongest most suitable players and having suitable cover for them. This season is congested and will be a test for any squad.

Luongo's a key player for us in front of the defence but it was a mistake to have not brought in a similar player or cover.

I hope we bring in a couple of strikers, a winger and a full back but also a defensive holding midfielder. I'd look at signing a free agent like Tom Huddlestone or Kevin Stewart or loaning in someone like Sam Field, rather than playing players out of position. 

Only place I’d move him is left back good on ball can head tackle and doesn’t panic? But he not the quickest so would probably struggle but can read the game? The way pulis is playing full backs not asked to bomb forwards so would just took in like van aken doing and I think borner be better there than him 

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

We have the basis for a decent team just need some forwards

We do.

Everywhere in outfield we have good players and decent cover. Except up top, where even our starter is nowhere near good enough.

• Like 1

Why are people obsessed with experimenting with players out of position? 

We had it with people wanting to play Kieran Lee at right back, we’ve had it with iorfa either in midfield or even more bizarrely upfront lately! 

If we need another option in midfield, here’s a thought... buy a midfielder.

• Thanks 1

Why do posters do this? A player does well in his normal position, I know let's move him to a different position.

Iorfa, great centre back, wonder if he'd solve the centre forward problem.

Van Aken, crap at centre back, I know switch him to def mid.

Palmer, average RB, wonder if he could do a job in midfield.

and on and on and on.

7 minutes ago, Bigger Guns said:

Why are people obsessed with experimenting with players out of position? 

We had it with people wanting to play Kieran Lee at right back, we’ve had it with iorfa either in midfield or even more bizarrely upfront lately! 

If we need another option in midfield, here’s a thought... buy a midfielder.

You posted that while I was writing the same thing. I agree.