A grim reality?

Looking back to the OP I think we may well be a bottom 8 club for the next couple of seasons. 

our squad is very light on quality and the quality we do have may be sold to get the striker we desperately need.  

it’s all about the money I’m afraid. We can’t spend because of FFP (I think) plus we can’t do what we did last time and spend millions on players that don’t even get on the pitch more than a few times (Abdi). 

but, this is football. FFP might be scrapped for all I know, or they might bring in minimum wage, or other teams might go bankrupt and have to sell of large portions of their squads at low prices etc etc. 

whatever is to come I think Pulis may very well be the man to trust with it. 

yes the football will possibly be ugly but the clubs future is probably genuinely at risk and a couple of dire seasons of footy is nothing in the grand scheme of things. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wor’Jackie said:

Here’s the thing.

Without the -6 points off, we’d be in 19th place on 14 points, only two ahead of the relegation zone.

With the squad as it is it’s probable that this will be our level for the next 18-24 months unless there is an incredible January transfer window that sees three top strikers (and reinforcements on the wings and in holding midfield as well?) brought in.

This job is going to require a lot of deep surgery, possibly even a whole new squad of players long term. 

Nobody wants it to be like that, but the grim reality is we look set to be a bottom 8 Championship side for the next two seasons. 😕

change my mind anyone?

I thought that was the reason that Garry Mink was appointed- clear out the old school and build a side over three or four transfer windows. Luckily, the fan base gave him one transfer window in the middle of a pandemic and the EFL gave him a twelve point deduction to motivate the players. Seems fair to me that we now have a new manager with the same problems!

I have a horrible feeling we are going down either this season or next.

Hope I'm wrong but I have seen these signs before and I can't see an end in sight to our misery.

The squad is gradually losing its better players and replacing them with mediocre journeyman.

Pulis will have to perform miracles to turn us around and I just don't think he can do it. 

Our only hope is that we can unearth some real gems from some far flung corner of the footballing world. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheOwlsofDodworth said:

I'm enjoying the games believe it or not. 

I can see progress. It might not be rip roaring goals galore, but there's a difference compared to Monk. 

You know, Monk talked about tenacious play but I never really felt it. 

But I do now. 

Clean sheets are half the battle.

Alan Hansen was rarely wrong. 

10 hours ago, TheOwlsofDodworth said:

I'm enjoying the games believe it or not. 

I can see progress. It might not be rip roaring goals galore, but there's a difference compared to Monk. 

You know, Monk talked about tenacious play but I never really felt it. 

But I do now. 

To me we seem more resilient.

7 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Will it be a nice stylish Georgian terrace or a brutalist block of flats unloved by anyone and ripe for demolition as soon as he’s fizzed off? 

What would you describe it as at time he took it on?

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

But he has carte blanch to create something in his own image. 

Time will tell then.

Only so much that can be created when the last man chose to assemble a squad without a striker of note.

Personally I'm ok with the new 'style',  hard to beat is a start, well organised, disciplined all sound good to me. 

What I did like ay Swansea was that we didn't buckle after they scored, I've seen plenty of games where heads dropped after a setback. This time we knuckled down and fought. That's something I want my team to do.

If at some stage we can get a big guy up front and a couple of wingers who can cross that will be great, if they can beat their man as well I will be very happy.

I like defenders who can defend anything over and above that is a bonus.

I don't think we are that far away from being a top half side. A good keeper, a good left back, A couple of good forwards and one good winger . OK we aren't going to get them in one window so it's going to take time.

19 hours ago, Hirstyslaces said:

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

However we ended up in this state, I don't know, it could only happen to Wednesday!

Patience is a virtue and we will all need plenty of that for some time, I'm afraid.

But we WILL improve..........

WAWAW

not really only us

it seems to have happened to Derby too

I have not seen any difference really from Pulis taking over.

Last 3 games under Monk 4 points with 1 goal conceded.

First 3 games under Pulis 2 points gained with 2 goals conceded.

If anything we have gone more negative.

Much too early to fully judge Pulis of course but disappointed we have had no new manager bounce like we usually have when changing managers. 

If sticking my neck out I thin we will grind out enough results under Pulis to stop up.