Tony Pulis "It's a tough gig this one. It's going to be a tough gig"

To be honest, if he played it down even slightly I’d be worried. This is a huge job on many fronts......

He’s also setting out his stall in relation to our squad needs. He’s vocalising what we’ve all known for ages and to be frank it’s what DC needs to hear.

The most important thing now isn’t just signing some firepower it’s signing players TP actually wants.

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cowl said:

He's overstating it, of course, but that's only sensible and what you'd expect from an experienced manager.

A good January in the window (which will be his responsibility) and he knows he'll be able to sort this.

We're not conceding, and weren't even before he got here. And the midfield is actually pretty serviceable still.

Up top, yeah, we're a train wreck.

That rotherham game says different. Plus how many shafting did we have during 2020?

19 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

Monk was such a terrible, terrible appointment. What a shocking squad he put together.

We have been ok this season under monk with the exception of that one week.

we have dropped the worlds biggest clanger getting rid of monk and appointing Pulis trust me .

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, Plonk said:

That rotherham game says different. Plus how many shafting did we have during 2020?

That Rotherham was just one game more than half of which was played with 10 men actually enunciates my point pretty strongly.

11 hours ago, 4evaowl said:

Wonder if he does what Kenny Jacket did at Rotherham...i.e realise he is wasting his time with the players he has and buggers off!

He did leave Palace on the eve of a new season I recall.

Wouldn’t surprise me. I just hope he sticks at it. 

He didn’t sound “up for it” , more what the f**k have I done.

8 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Just checked and since 2000 they’ve had only 5 seasons where they’ve finished outside of 17th PL to 6th Champ. That’s a remarkable level of consistency really.. 5 promotions and 4 relegations in 20 years. Probably quite exciting supporting them. 

The 5 seasons outside of that they finished between 11th and 14th in the PL 3 times, and 10th twice, the second of which was under Pulis.

So he guided them to their joint highest finish since 1981, yet people think he did a bad job there. 

Its only Boro where I’d say he probably underachieved a bit, particularly first season before they sold their best players 

They were well in the play offs  till Gibson decided they can manage without  there 2 best players 

8 hours ago, ashley8 said:

He knows we need to score goals and they are low on confidence in front of goal. So why be so defensive so we only have a few chances in the game. They need the most chances they can get. We have not been that bad defensively this season when you take in to account we having scored hardly any goals. We need to be in the final third not all stood in front of ours just frustrating the opposition.  When you don't have quality in front of goal who take a chance, you need to create as many chances as you can if you get a couple then you can shut up shop if it looks like turning. Not play like that and try steal one when you can't score 

What are these "chances" you speak of ?

We dont create any 

It's like a perfect storm:

Overspend from 2015-18 on old; non-resalable players with a short-term roll of the dice approach that failed and sent us into FFP.

2 poor managers since then who were brought in to stabilise the club through cheap buys and bring the kids through - it didn't work.

Experienced and well respected manager who motivated the players and got the club pointing in the right direction - lasted 6 months and fec'd off.

Absent sole owner/board member who struggles with the language, culture, understanding of the sport and rules, and seemingly regrets buying us.

Breaching FFP which brought a humiliating points penalty impact, and add COVID in to compound our financial position.

TP has inherited all this, with a very poor to average Championship squad, following a disastrous Summer recruitment policy.

He will chip out what he can with these players and hopefully once a few of the injured players are back we will start to build a system that works for them and stay up.

If we start next season in the Championship; hopefully lining up against the pigs - the last big earners BB, Reach and Rhodes will have gone. Hopefully then we can bring in a new forward line and midfield group to start afresh.

This season is simply about survival not entrainment.

• Like 4

There’s no doubt Pulis will have done due diligence on the squad but it may still have come as a surprise just how unbalanced it is. Without any decent modern day forward the scoring opportunities are only going to come from set pieces. It therefore makes sense to play the game as tight as he can.

We don’t have the players to play on the break so it is more attritional gaining ground getting nearer the opposition’s penalty area and hoping for a set piece. It’s not glamorous but pragmatic and will be until January

His task is to try and keep us in touch until he can make the signings he wants to change things. 
Keeping what had been a free scoring Stoke team to nil and coming away from Swansea with a draw has to be considered successful in the situation we are in. 

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313
3 hours ago, Minesapint said:

There’s no doubt Pulis will have done due diligence on the squad but it may still have come as a surprise just how unbalanced it is. Without any decent modern day forward the scoring opportunities are only going to come from set pieces. It therefore makes sense to play the game as tight as he can.

We don’t have the players to play on the break so it is more attritional gaining ground getting nearer the opposition’s penalty area and hoping for a set piece. It’s not glamorous but pragmatic and will be until January

His task is to try and keep us in touch until he can make the signings he wants to change things. 
Keeping what had been a free scoring Stoke team to nil and coming away from Swansea with a draw has to be considered successful in the situation we are in. 

Nothing wrong so far in that Preston was a write off playing with 10 for 75 mins and then two respectable points. Need more of the same the next two against Reading and Norwich.

Then we have 9 games against teams where 7 of them are in the bottom half. Coventry (twice), Barnsley, Wycombe, Huddersfield, Forest and Derby plus Blackburn and Boro who are no world beaters. We really need to be winning say 5-6 out of 9 from them if we’re going to stop up.. so that’s where we judge how things are going 

12 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

The last 3 games have just been a continuation on what Monk was doing for me. We’ve picked up 2 points and scored 1 goal in 3 games which we’d have probably done under Monk.

Possession stats under Pulis are 26% at Preston, 36% at Swansea and 37% against Stoke.

We haven’t had more than 5 shots in a game yet under Pulis.

We’ve only had 2 shots on target in 3 games.

Maybe he’ll grind the points out to get us out of it but it’s going to be ugly.

I’d have liked to have seen a change in the style of play after the Jos and Monk dross we’ve been served up 

We don’t have the players for that change in style of play. We have an unbalanced squad with very little quality, one of (if not) the worst squads in the division, and keeping the club up by whatever means possible is what Pulis

has to do.

I’m glad he has been vocal about the need for signings because the chairman absolutely needs to hear it.

Maybe its just me, but TP's post match interview, at the end when he said it's going to be a tough gig. Made me think he has realised what he has to work with....

Rubbish mainly