Tony Pulis "It's a tough gig this one. It's going to be a tough gig"

Just now, Steve Down South said:

I thought Pulis spoke well and was realistic about the challenge he faces - almost to the point of making me feel he’s having second thoughts.

Ha ha I know what you mean

I wonder why it’s hit him today though? We were up against a decent side and kept a clean sheet 

Seems a strange time to be coming out with a sense of realisation 

Owlstalk Shop

He knows we need to score goals and they are low on confidence in front of goal. So why be so defensive so we only have a few chances in the game. They need the most chances they can get. We have not been that bad defensively this season when you take in to account we having scored hardly any goals. We need to be in the final third not all stood in front of ours just frustrating the opposition.  When you don't have quality in front of goal who take a chance, you need to create as many chances as you can if you get a couple then you can shut up shop if it looks like turning. Not play like that and try steal one when you can't score 

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
56 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

His last two jobs at West Brom and Boro must have been tough gigs aswell.

I hope he turns it around but it’s over 6 years since he did a decent job anywhere 

Look at West Brom though.. they’re level is basically somewhere between 17th premier league and 6th in the championship. Other than under Pulis when he got them top 10, how many seasons have they finished outside of that recently. 

He basically got them to outperform for a year or so then they dropped back to their level and he quit/got pushed before they got relegated 

Guest LondonOwl313
5 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Look at West Brom though.. they’re level is basically somewhere between 17th premier league and 6th in the championship. Other than under Pulis when he got them top 10, how many seasons have they finished outside of that recently. 

He basically got them to outperform for a year or so then they dropped back to their level and he quit/got pushed before they got relegated 

Just checked and since 2000 they’ve had only 5 seasons where they’ve finished outside of 17th PL to 6th Champ. That’s a remarkable level of consistency really.. 5 promotions and 4 relegations in 20 years. Probably quite exciting supporting them. 

The 5 seasons outside of that they finished between 11th and 14th in the PL 3 times, and 10th twice, the second of which was under Pulis.

So he guided them to their joint highest finish since 1981, yet people think he did a bad job there. 

Its only Boro where I’d say he probably underachieved a bit, particularly first season before they sold their best players 

10 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

They finished 8th in the premier league in 2013 under Clarke so I wouldn’t say he ever got them to outperform. When they sacked him they were on the verge of relegation.

Ask any West Brom fan about Pulis and see what they say

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, pat blondeau said:

They finished 8th in the premier league in 2013 under Clarke so I wouldn’t say he ever got them to outperform. When they sacked him they were on the verge of relegation.

Ask any West Brom fan about Pulis and see what they say

Lol I just spent about 15 mins reading through all their finishes for the last 40 years and somehow missed that one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_West_Bromwich_Albion_F.C._seasons

Ok so was their second highest finish.. but I still think it’s a good return results wise. 

I can imagine that for a club like them their fans probably have a different attitude to what we’d have. They probably don’t fear relegation because they never seem to have much of a problem going back up with the 5 promotions in 20 years. And the style would grind you down over years where you’re trying to push outperformance from a poor group of players. For us though if we’d have been up there I think we’d fear the drop more given it’s been 21 years and counting without a single promotion.. so our tolerance for his football is probably higher. 

Let’s be honest, last three games have been an upgrade on most of Monk’s time and we still haven’t threatened to score at all. But we haven’t been outplayed and don’t look like conceding many either 

4 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Lol I just spent about 15 mins reading through all their finishes for the last 40 years and somehow missed that one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_West_Bromwich_Albion_F.C._seasons

Ok so was their second highest finish.. but I still think it’s a good return results wise. 

I can imagine that for a club like them their fans probably have a different attitude to what we’d have. They probably don’t fear relegation because they never seem to have much of a problem going back up with the 5 promotions in 20 years. And the style would grind you down over years where you’re trying to push outperformance from a poor group of players. For us though if we’d have been up there I think we’d fear the drop more given it’s been 21 years and counting without a single promotion.. so our tolerance for his football is probably higher. 

Let’s be honest, last three games have been an upgrade on most of Monk’s time and we still haven’t threatened to score at all. But we haven’t been outplayed and don’t look like conceding many either 

The last 3 games have just been a continuation on what Monk was doing for me. We’ve picked up 2 points and scored 1 goal in 3 games which we’d have probably done under Monk.

Possession stats under Pulis are 26% at Preston, 36% at Swansea and 37% against Stoke.

We haven’t had more than 5 shots in a game yet under Pulis.

We’ve only had 2 shots on target in 3 games.

Maybe he’ll grind the points out to get us out of it but it’s going to be ugly.

I’d have liked to have seen a change in the style of play after the Jos and Monk dross we’ve been served up 

Guest LondonOwl313
6 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

The last 3 games have just been a continuation on what Monk was doing for me. We’ve picked up 2 points and scored 1 goal in 3 games which we’d have probably done under Monk.

Possession stats under Pulis are 26% at Preston, 36% at Swansea and 37% against Stoke.

We haven’t had more than 5 shots in a game yet under Pulis.

We’ve only had 2 shots on target in 3 games.

Maybe he’ll grind the points out to get us out of it but it’s going to be ugly.

I’d have liked to have seen a change in the style of play after the Jos and Monk dross we’ve been served up 

I think Preston was a bit of a write off given the two mistakes in that game.. couldn’t get much of a feel for it.

Swansea and Stoke will both finish top 8 I think so good points.

Looking at the fixtures it’s more of the same required next few games.. could do with picking up points and maybe sneak a win somewhere. 

But then most of the games between mid December and mid January are against the weak teams. Huddersfield, Barnsley, Coventry (twice), Forest, Derby, Blackburn, Wycombe. 8 games out of 9 against that lot with only Boro from the top half.

We really do need to be winning some of those or we’re down. Will be happy with this attritional football if we pick up some draws against Reading and Norwich as long as we open up a bit more and win a decent % of those other games after