Player Ratings vs Stoke

Wildsmith - 7 - Not a lot to do but pulled off some big saves when he was called on.

Palmer - 6 - fairly solid once again, happy with how his build up play is progressing. 

Lees - 7 - MOTM for the 2nd time in a row for me. Just seems solid, gonna be difficult to drop when Iorfa and Dunkley both come back to fitness. 

Borner - 6 - solid for the most part but as I said last game he is so scary to watch on the ball. Was rescued once or twice again. 

Van Aken - 6 - doesn't have the pace for LB, but coped well enough. 

Harris - 7 - threatened the most out of anyone, would like to see him put his head up more to cross/shoot though.

Shaw - 6 - nothing flash but wouldn't say he looked out of his depth, a relevantly quiet night. Only a tactical substitution. 

Luongo - 7 - just wins virtually everything doesnt he, I'm just not worried anymore going into games with him in the heart of it all.

Bannan - 7 - positive, can tell pushing forward was different for him but he looked to adapt well, some more fantastic balls, just needs runners to play for his balls. 

Reach - 6 - works hard but another indecisive performance, its like a battle in his head if he wants to be a winger or cut in and play CM. 

Patterson - 5 - Pointless. Again. Didnt help the defence or progress the ball forward at any point. Dont get why peole are so in love with him.

Subs:

Rhodes - 5 - no worse no better than Patterson, just a shame we never try and get ball to him other than bannan hoofing one over back 4 for him ro try and run on to. 

Odubajo - N/A

Izzy Brown - N/A

Happy with the performance for the most part but we really need to get Izzy Brown starting over Patterson. 

Wouldnt mind giving Kachunga a start up top either, need someone who's a bit more direct. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Al98 said:

Wildsmith - 7 - Not a lot to do but pulled off some big saves when he was called on.

Palmer - 6 - fairly solid once again, happy with how his build up play is progressing. 

Lees - 7 - MOTM for the 2nd time in a row for me. Just seems solid, gonna be difficult to drop when Iorfa and Dunkley both come back to fitness. 

Borner - 6 - solid for the most part but as I said last game he is so scary to watch on the ball. Was rescued once or twice again. 

Van Aken - 6 - doesn't have the pace for LB, but coped well enough. 

Harris - 7 - threatened the most out of anyone, would like to see him put his head up more to cross/shoot though.

Shaw - 6 - nothing flash but wouldn't say he looked out of his depth, a relevantly quiet night. Only a tactical substitution. 

Luongo - 7 - just wins virtually everything doesnt he, I'm just not worried anymore going into games with him in the heart of it all.

Bannan - 7 - positive, can tell pushing forward was different for him but he looked to adapt well, some more fantastic balls, just needs runners to play for his balls. 

Reach - 6 - works hard but another indecisive performance, its like a battle in his head if he wants to be a winger or cut in and play CM. 

Patterson - 5 - Pointless. Again. Didnt help the defence or progress the ball forward at any point. Dont get why peole are so in love with him.

Subs:

Rhodes - 5 - no worse no better than Patterson, just a shame we never try and get ball to him other than bannan hoofing one over back 4 for him ro try and run on to. 

Odubajo - N/A

Izzy Brown - N/A

Happy with the performance for the most part but we really need to get Izzy Brown starting over Patterson. 

Wouldnt mind giving Kachunga a start up top either, need someone who's a bit more direct. 

Good points on Van Aken, Shaw, Bannan and Reach. Well I think it will be Paterson up top again on Wednesday, especially with what happened with Rhodes. I would prefer Kachunga playing up top rather than Paterson though.  

Mine are:

Wildsmith 7

Palmer 7

Lees 7

Böner 7 MOTM

Van Aken 7

Shaw 7

Luongo 6

Bannan 7

Harris 7

Paterson 6

Reach 6

Rhodes 7

Odubajo 6

Brown 5

Wildsmith - 6 - had nothing to do other but credit to the lad made a big save on the only occasion he was required. Kicking okay.

Palmer - 6 - worked hard and defended Well, offered nothing going forward and was caught out a couple of times. Huff and puffed but no quality.

Borner 7- defended Well and worked hard. Need more from set pieces though also another chance where he should have hit the target at least but spooned it out (we got a corner but it was going well well wide) probably my MOM in a poor game

Lees - 7- defended Well and solid as per borner. Decent partnership. Offers nothing from set peices though.

Van aken - 5 - maybe harsh as he isnt a LB but he is slow leggy and got turned inside out a couple of times. Surely we must have better options available.

Harris - 6 - worked hard but poor on the ball, crossing is very poor and he is quite predictable. Our only player with any pace and he isnt even really that quick.
Couple of nice inter changes but his end result continues to frustrate.

Bannan - 4- a man bang out of form. Poor on the ball and didn't look happy watching the ball sail over his head for paterson not to win the header. Set peices were better than in recent weeks but again most of the ball went through him and he was bossed by obi Mikel. Realised he had a poor game and tried to make up for it by wasting energy with zoomy runs at the end

Luongo- 5 - does what he does. Plays very deep but is a decent passer of the ball. Needs to get further up the field. The midfield is failing this team. Real lack of ideas. There is also a reluctance to do the work and get into the box. We need a box to box midfielder in this side.

Shaw - 4 - thought he looked alright when he came on in last game but looked lost in this one. 3 defensive midfielders and 1 up top is the problem with this team. Did okay but very defensive which meant him bazza and luongo all spent most of the game in our half.

Reach- 4 - another poor performance for me. Slow leggy and another completely out of ideas. Bottled a few challenges as per. Drifted along. Passenger for the main part.

Paterson- 2 - completely ineffective. Doesnt win anything, doesn't offer anything. Runs around abit but isn't a striker. His goal to game ratio is horrendous. His shot at goal to game ratio is even worse. He must be the worst striker in the league. He doesn't hold it up. Doesnt win headers. Can't pass. Im just not sure what he does. Another very poor display.

Rhodes 1- i can see why pulis dragged him off. He is spent. When he comes on it is like he has literally never played football before. Did he even touch the ball? The chance over the top summed it up. The defence were caught out but he totally misread the ball and it came to nothing. He just needs releasing and putting down as the worst signing in the history of football.

Brown - 1 - unfit, lazy and full of his own self importantance. This guy genuinely thinks he is big time when in reality he will be released in the summer with most clubs reluctant to take a punt on him. Did nothing when he came on. Wasn't Interested in getting involved in the game and has been another expensive flop for us. But looking at his previous playing time was always gonna be the case.

Tony Pulis - 3 - very poor game yet again. We never ever looked like scoring. The formation doesn't work and leaves paterson exposed.
Its a very solid formation that teams find hard to break down. Playing like this is okay if you have a fletcher, Martin, Smith jutkiewiz type figure to ping the ball to to. We don't.
He needed to find a way to get the team playing and thus far he hasnt. I genuinely don't think we can wait until the transfer window as there is still 8 games before that. We could be done by then. We need to bring a striker in now. This week.
I've been unimpressed with pulis so far. The football is as bad if not worse than monk. His appointment hasn't lifted the players at all.
We are more solid yes but points at home will not secure us safety. We have to win games.

I was genuinely embarrassed to see us time wasting to try and secure a draw at home against a team that hadn't played well.
People lording the Swansea result. Again Swansea didn't play well. I genuinely believe our awful style drags teams down to our level and they find it really hard to play football meaning awful awful games.
As I say the above style is okay if yoh have the players to nick a goal from a corner but we don't. We had 1 corner and zero successful crosses.
It was a very very poor performance.
2 shots on target In last 3 games.
1 goal In the last 4 games.
Our top goal scorer is Barry bannan with 2 penalties.

The new manager needed to be a breath of fresh air. Reinvigorating the team. Instead its just another off the merry go round and its the same old stuff.
I genuinely cannot see a way out of this as I believe January will come too late.

Love it when people say we have to win games,  Wednesday - one of the worst teams in the league since last Xmas has to suddenly be able to beat Swansea and Stoke?  Bizarre logic to me.  
If only we had appointed Klopp or Pep, I’m sure they’d have got this group playing attacking football that scores and doesn’t concede for fun at the back in the process. 

• Thanks 1