Joe Wildsmith

Taking everything into account, Wildsmith is the best keeper at the club regardless of injury to Westwood. Imagine how he feels watching Dawson making clangers and then finally getting his place only to see Westwood rob him of it without being match fit. His confidence at 25 will take a knock. But he’s come back in and performed well. The save with his feet today was superb as it came through the defenders legs standing right in front of him.

Westwood has 14 or 15 better keepers ahead of him in this league. He isn’t what he was and he’s limited now for today’s game.

Westwood doesn’t kick well and he’s no good with it at his feet. Wildsmith can play football.

• Like 2

Guest Kagoshimaowl
3 hours ago, Royal_D said:

Westwood needs to return to top form to get the shirt off Joe, it’s that simple really 

How can you return to top form if you aren’t playing? Weird comment

32 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

WTF

No he didnt?

I luv your false WTF claim of surprise.

The moment when he paried a tame grass cutter shot out for a corner (Dawson would have pushed it to the penalty spot) And then flapped at the corner.

Right behind a target man, a new keeper will surely be on TPs January shopping list.

WTF, WTF. Passive aggressive nonsense.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, zzmdu said:

Was very well protected today & Stoke were poor, but when called upon looked decidedly Dodgy.

When was he called upon with their one shot on goal? That save with his feet is astonishingly good if you see it again from behind the goal...fantastic reactions

Wildsmith and Westwood are perfectly good enough keepers for this league.  It’s the other end where we are awful and need improving.  We win games 3-1 and no one will care what corner they flapped at once during the game 

Edited by Owls-Fan
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, toooldforthis said:

When was he called upon with their one shot on goal? That save with his feet is astonishingly good if you see it again from behind the goal...fantastic reactions

It was a save that any decent keeper should have made. Did well to clear it so far.

Was a five a side reflex save, any decent keeper playing in a local five a side league would make.

Its far from certain that Westwood will return to past form, Wildsmith & Dawson are L2 keepers, 2nd on the Jan shopping list for me.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Neither Westwood or Dawson make the save with his foot from Vokes that Wildsmith did in my opinion.

This is where our fans just don’t help themselves

That was a basic, basic save for any keeper at this level.

I’d wager that Lee Bullen would have kept it out.

Its great he (and we) kept another clean sheet but the eulogizing over an easy and expected save is just bizarre

• Like 2

4 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Its great he (and we) kept another clean sheet but the eulogizing over an easy and expected save is just bizarre

1, Not eulogizing over it, just saying I don't think Dawson or Westwood would have saved it. Thus strengthening the argument that Joe is probably the correct choice for now. Not saying he isn't without error and still think the battle between him and Dawson is closer than people seem to think.

2, Don't think it's that basic a either, he reacted quickly which was pleasing when we're trying to be hard to beat.

What I find bizarre is you taking a simple bit of praise in quite the way you have.

• Like 2

On 28/11/2020 at 22:07, Kagoshimaowl said:

How can you return to top form if you aren’t playing? Weird comment

he could have a few games in 23s and if he  proves himself at that level then get him back if joe's form takes a dip . ......ive never known anyone be  out for a year and not have a few games with the stiffs to get back in the groove ...................but i think we both know he wont do that  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

1, Not eulogizing over it, just saying I don't think Dawson or Westwood would have saved it. Thus strengthening the argument that Joe is probably the correct choice for now. Not saying he isn't without error and still think the battle between him and Dawson is closer than people seem to think.

2, Don't think it's that basic a either, he reacted quickly which was pleasing when we're trying to be hard to beat.

What I find bizarre is you taking a simple bit of praise in quite the way you have.

It was an average pace shot

Straight at his foot

That he kicked away

And you think that neither of our other keepers would have been able to deal with that?

lol

13 hours ago, McRightSide said:

It’s the type of situation where the smallest thing happens (like that basic save) and people try to use it as justification for their whole argument

Wildsmiths ‘ flaw’ has always been low shots close to his body. He is a good keeper in all other areas. If Pulis and the coaches have been working on him using his legs well to get those saves  away like de gea does, that is very sensible coaching.

21 hours ago, toooldforthis said:

Exactly this...it was an astonishing save if you watch from behind the goal

Thought it was fairly basic myself.

Astonishing saves surely more applicable to (in the interest of fairness to all parties here...) Westwood v Leeds, Dawson v Swansea and Wildsmith v ThemLot