28 years supporting the club

I don’t know if it’s the worst side but I find this side harder to watch than any other Wednesday team I can remember.

Maybe it’s because I’ve watched the majority of the games in 2020 on my own (and without the pre match beers or build up) but it’s been absolutely dire.

And we must be on target for the lowest goals in a season in the clubs history 

What annoyed me about Monk was that he was very experienced at Championship level, having managed Brum Boro, Leeds, yet he failed to fetch in the keeper and two strikers we desperately needed.  We knew Fletcher, Forestieri and the others would be going and that Dawson wasn't up to standard.

Luckily Wildsmith looks ok so far, and we have a manager who has contacts in the game and clearly knows what's needed.

I didn't want Pullis to come, but he's winning me over.  Defence looks very solid.  Preston Swansea and Stoke only had about 5 shots on target over the 3 matches.  And that's with all the injuries, and playing one game with 10 men.  Just need two greyhounds up front.  

Opening poster should have seen us in the 70s.  They were far worse than this lot.  

I'm confident in Pulis. He talks sense.  Unlike Monk, he knows the problems and I reckon he'll sort it.  Had we not wasted so much money, we could have still had Fletcher and João up front.   

João has scored 12 goals in 14 games for Reading this season, including his hat trick in the League cup.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It’s not as bad as 2003 as we had some genuinely non league standard players turning out for us then ( Richard Evans, Paul Smith, Kim Olsen etc)

This year is comfortably on par with anything else since then though. Garry Monk has been an absolute disaster for this club and Pulis has got a right job on sorting it out

10 hours ago, torryowl said:

its going to be a battle all season to escape relegation with the squad we have so expect many more games like this one .......without the deduction we;d be 2 pts clear  with 5 clubs below us so we arnt the worst in this division which gives a chance of survival .......as for worst in 28 years nah , the defensive  side is too good to be bracketed with some of the past . 

Agree with the last bit. We are pretty solid. Further up though is the worst I’ve seen. Adam Proudlock, Shefki Kuqi or Akpo Sodje would be an infinite improvement on our current lot

Thing is, in 2002/2004 and 2010/2011 we’d at least create more chances.

On paper, the players back then maybe weren’t as good, but this current team creates one opportunity a match, creates no passing motions and has no identity 

We’ve scored what, 1 goal from open play? In 14 MATCHES

14 effin matches 

On 28/11/2020 at 17:16, Emerson Thome said:

7th March 2004

Chesterfield 3 vs Sheffield Wednesday 1

GK: Ola Tidman

RB: Derek Geary

LB: Jon Beswetherick

CB: Dean Smith

CB: Graeme Lee

CB: Leigh Bromby

CM: Brian Barry-Murphy

CM: Alan Quinn

CM: Adam Chambers

ST: Jon Shaw

ST: Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu

That team has brought back some horrid memories back. 

However, Ndumbu-Nsungu, no matter how crap, name alone makes him a legend!

Guest Hornsby
On 28/11/2020 at 18:08, keefdave said:

The Burtenshaw/ Ashurst era was very bad, but this is getting there.

But you understood. Little cash.

To spend mass dosh and end up with this squad is tragic.

Players and their agents cant't believe their luck.

Guest LondonOwl313
On 29/11/2020 at 07:58, Django said:

Agree with the last bit. We are pretty solid. Further up though is the worst I’ve seen. Adam Proudlock, Shefki Kuqi or Akpo Sodje would be an infinite improvement on our current lot

Proudlock and Sodje were definitely worse than Rhodes or Paterson or Windass. After his initial loan once we signed him permanently Proudlock was truly awful

Guest LondonOwl313

If we’re that bad why have we only lost one game this season by more than 1 goal having played more than half the division.

our issues are the points deduction and the lack of results against Luton/Rotherham/Wycombe.. otherwise we’d be solidly mid table.

We’re mediocre and lack goals but we’re competitive 

Guest Therealrealist
On 29/11/2020 at 07:36, Lincs Owl said:

What annoyed me about Monk was that he was very experienced at Championship level, having managed Brum Boro, Leeds, yet he failed to fetch in the keeper and two strikers we desperately needed.  We knew Fletcher, Forestieri and the others would be going and that Dawson wasn't up to standard.

Luckily Wildsmith looks ok so far, and we have a manager who has contacts in the game and clearly knows what's needed.

I didn't want Pullis to come, but he's winning me over.  Defence looks very solid.  Preston Swansea and Stoke only had about 5 shots on target over the 3 matches.  And that's with all the injuries, and playing one game with 10 men.  Just need two greyhounds up front.  

Opening poster should have seen us in the 70s.  They were far worse than this lot.  

I'm confident in Pulis. He talks sense.  Unlike Monk, he knows the problems and I reckon he'll sort it.  Had we not wasted so much money, we could have still had Fletcher and João up front.   

João has scored 12 goals in 14 games for Reading this season, including his hat trick in the League cup.  

The ‘should have seen us in the 70s ‘ brigade..need to stop sayin this...we know we wer worse but it has no relevance to this day and age..where it’s 36 quid to get in to watch millionaire footballers

We've had 4 managers since January 2018 and sacked 2 of them.

It's no wonder we don't have an identity. We've been a sacking club for aslong as I can remember. 15 managers since the turn of the millennium. 

As soon as anything goes wrong the boards sack the manager to pass the blame and hide incompetence. Ffs Wednesday devise a plan and stick to it. 

• Like 1

On 28/11/2020 at 17:17, Athelwulf said:

Yes, but it wasn't just this side.

We had Fletcher, Forestieri and Hooper in there too.

We've sold the quality off, that's why we're poo.

Two of those barely played a game in a season and half, fletcher wasn’t far behind them.