Gotta feel sorry for Rhodes

Guest The Claw
3 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

He's not the first sub to be ever subbed. Sure he won't be the last. 

Just don't think think it was done to create a blame diversion.

He doesn't need a blame diversion. He's only just got here

i dont give a flying foook about other clubs and their subs

19 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I think the issue is that Rhodes, for all his goalscoring exploits over the years, is a fairly limited all-round footballer who doesn't really have it in his locker to adapt his game to any great degree. He's a penalty-box poacher - that's it.

You can ask him to be a link-up player, but he'll never be great at it. You can ask him to be a target man, but he'll be wasting his time on something which detracts from his natural attributes. 

He's a bit of an anachronism, but if you want to get the best out of Rhodes, he relies on reliable quality deliveries into dangerous areas. If you're not going to provide that, then he'll offer very little.

Unfortunately, we signed him with no plan as to how to use him, asked him to try to adapt his game in ways which are probably beyond him, and completely ruined one of the division's most reliable goal-threats.

I understand those who are frustrated with him and say he should learn to adapt his game, but that was never going to happen. He's simply not got it in him to be anything other than what he is. The issue is that we, and most other teams at this level, no longer have a use for the kind of player he is (or was... it's been so long since he played in a team which was set up to get the best out of him, I'm no longer sure).

If you ever listen to the podcast "Undr The Cosh" , I remember Tommy Miller and Jon Parkin both discussing Rhodes, both played at Huddersfield with him.

Both said he is a poacher, he will never chase down and make long runs but give him chances in the box and he will finish.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

He's not the first sub to be ever subbed. Sure he won't be the last. 

Just don't think think it was done to create a blame diversion.

He doesn't need a blame diversion. He's only just got here

Pulis is making a point to his owner.

Forget Rhodes for a minute. What about Kachunga. We’ve got 3 of Monk’s strikers available and Kachunga was 4th choice today!

He’ll be on the phone tonight saying please please I need at least one and probably two strikers and I need them tomorrow.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Think tank said:

Did Rhodes complete a single pass when he was on? 

I genuinely don’t think he did.

How many touches did he have , 3 or 4 I reckon , think he flicked a header on .

I thought he should have done much better when Bannon put him through but somehow just couldn't get into the ball and the defenders snuffed him out......spent force in the modern game I'm afraid.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Claw said:

i dont give a flying foook about other clubs and their subs

I were thinking about Nigel  Jemson getting subbed on an subbed off again by Trevor Francis.

But ok

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

4 minutes ago, pj owl said:

I see a number of posts making the point about ‘bad man management’. I agree - clearly wouldn’t be good for the boys confidence.

However the manager is paid to get the best result for the team. He clearly saw something that probably either a) suggested Rhodes may cost us a goal, or b) that Brown may exploit that may get us a goal. I’m pretty confident  that he didn’t do it deliberately to further lessen Rhodes confidence.

I’m happy if he is making those decisions - not so long ago there were lots on here (and I agreed) slating Monk for not making changes to effect the game. 

He said as much after the game, referring to the team. ‘A lot of the team were doing things they shouldn’t’

He’s been brought in to make decisions. Ironically he seems to have a similar train of thought to those that have gone before him.

Any decision  the manager makes is to benefit the team / effect the result in a positive way.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

There's an argument that Rhodes is a bust flush.

Even if he weren't. ..all his good spells have come in the old days of 442 playing with a strike partner.

If we're playing one up top. ..or 3 wi the wide lads depending how you look at it...then he ain't gonna do owt for us. 

In all honesty probably never was. 

Pulis has just said he's looking forward to having Windass back on Wednesday and that he wants to strengthen up top.  

Rhodes is gone whichever way you look at it.

Windass isn’t back until next Saturday I think.

3 match ban. 

Edited by Holmowl

20 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

We look considerably worse.

We look about exactly the same, which makes Pulis's decision perplexing, for the sake of 7 mins, leave him on & don't play him again.

Like said earlier, a message to the Chairman or a ******** trick to scape goat Rhodes.

Imagine a multi million £ business, & this is is the way the manager has to communicate an important message to the Chairman.

Pathetic all round.

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Pulis is making a point to his owner.

Forget Rhodes for a minute. What about Kachunga. We’ve got 3 of Monk’s strikers available and Kachunga was 4th choice today!

He’ll be on the phone tonight saying please please I need at least one and probably two strikers and I need them tomorrow.

I'll be surprised if he weren't on the blower  saying he needed new strikers before he'd even be announced to be honest mate. 

Everybody in football knows our weakness

• Like 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

We all like Rhodes as a bloke but he’s been a disaster for us

I blame chansiri for making him his ‘vanity signing’

But I don’t feel sorry for Rhodes

I want what’s best for our club and unfortunately that means us getting players who are better than him

• Like 2

As a new manager, the best time to make big decisions and tough calls is at the start. You’re effectively bombproof. He’s done that today on purpose. I just wonder if the only reason Pulis took this job is because he told DC that it’s his way, or no way.

Pulis is the closest we will get to Warnock without appointing Warnock. This isn’t going to be pretty, but it could well be effective. We haven’t got the finance to football our way out of this league and a method manager makes perfect sense. 

We will stop up. Pulis will grind results out and results will pick up after January where I expect us to sign some impact players. The big test is the summer transfer window. We rid ourselves of a number of the last big earners. Pulis has got a very lucrative clean piece of paper. Our recruitment in the summer is as important as it’s ever been for this football club. We simply have to get it right this time. 

• Like 4

Guest Therealrealist

I’d have respect for ‘nice guy’ Rhodes if he went in Monday and said..’list3n..I’m crap you can tear my contract up and we both move on”..but we know he will be milking us till end of June..it’s tragic..easily the worse business this club has ever done...was goin to say will ever do..but with dc at the helm and his ‘advisors’ you never know 😬

2 hours ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

I did feel sorry for him - but he is infuriating. A through ball comes over from Bannan - defender missed it - but so did Jordan! Back in his instinctive days he would have flicked out a boot and it would have been a goal. Only bright spot for him though is that the ineptitude of Brown and Kachunga might keep him in the team. 

I think that is what sealed his fate. When the defender missed it Rhodes looked bereft of ideas. 

Pulis might play him again but I think his goose is cooked. We need a striker who can lead the line, whatever Rhodes brings it isn't that. If we had a big lad up front Rhodes might feed of the second ball even though there's been little sign of him doing so in our shirt. As it is he doesn't fit our system.

I really have supported Rhodes all through his time here, I like him as a person and think he was great in his heyday but he's just not shown anything. He's still at a decent age and should be at his peak. I'm sorry to see the shadow of what he was.

2 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

I’d have respect for ‘nice guy’ Rhodes if he went in Monday and said..’list3n..I’m crap you can tear my contract up and we both move on”..but we know he will be milking us till end of June..it’s tragic..easily the worse business this club has ever done...was goin to say will ever do..but with dc at the helm and his ‘advisors’ you never know 😬

He's not milking it. Its the conclusion of the contract SWFC offered him 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Concrete said:

If you ever listen to the podcast "Undr The Cosh" , I remember Tommy Miller and Jon Parkin both discussing Rhodes, both played at Huddersfield with him.

Both said he is a poacher, he will never chase down and make long runs but give him chances in the box and he will finish.

I hadn't watched Rhodes a great deal before we signed him and questioned whether he'd be a better finisher than Hooper. Plenty on here were delighted to sign him though, and it was hard not to get swept up in the sense of optimism.

I spoke to a Blackburn fan at the time and I was amazed by how lukewarm he was on Rhodes, given his record there. He basically said that he's a very limited footballer who contributes nothing to the team unless he's getting on the end of chances in the six-yard box.

Unfortunately, it turns out he was right.